SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba's Staff: Who's it gonna be?.......and when?

Siouxperfan777

He's really young..... Reeeeeaaly young....... Anyone know anything about him? Would he be ready for this?

From his UM profile page:

Shawn Kostich is in his fifth season with Minnesota Football and will serve as a defensive graduate assistant in 2013. He previously spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons as an offensive intern.

Prior to Minnesota, he served two years at Breck High School coaching wide receivers and defensive backs from 2007-2008.

Kostich is a Moorhead, Minn., native who is a 2008 University of Minnesota graduate. He also received his master's degree in applied kinesiology in 2009. His father, Dan Kostich, is a member of the Minnesota High School Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

He's really young..... Reeeeeaaly young....... Anyone know anything about him? Would he be ready for this?

Kostich is around 27 or 28, so yes really young. Graduated from Moorhead High in 2004, he did play QB there. I don't believe he played college ball, but went to U of M instead. Coach's kid & has been around the U of M program as an intern & grad assistant for the last 5 years. I'll trust Bubba that Kostich is knowledgeable & has enough experience from a Big 10 program to be an effective here.

Typically, how much recruiting responsibilities do grad assistants have at FBS schools? I'll assume he has some connections throughout the twin cities metro.

Coach Kill has been successful at every level he's coached, even starting to turn around the Gophers. You don't do that with successful players only. If he thinks highly enough of Kostich to keep him around and help him get a full time job, that says something. Also, I'm guessing Kostich has learned a lot from being around a successful staff.

He's been on a Big 10 coaching staff for 5 seasons, so he should be ready. Plus he helps us in the recruiting area. Add in Maurice and we have a nice mix of experience from the Big 10.

Coach Kill has been successful at every level he's coached, even starting to turn around the Gophers. You don't do that with successful players only. If he thinks highly enough of Kostich to keep him around and help him get a full time job, that says something. Also, I'm guessing Kostich has learned a lot from being around a successful staff.

These were my exact thoughts.

So with Kostich, how many coaches do we still have to hire?

I posted this last week after Rogers & Gigli hires, it stated that there would be 9 assistants on Bubba's coaching staff....

http://www.undsports...TCLID=209361805

So far we have:

OC - Rudolph

QB - Freund? (expected)

OL - ?

WR - ?

RB - Maurice (recruiting coordinator as well)

ST - Kostich

DC - Schmidt

LB - ? (maybe Schmidt)

DL - Gigli

DB - Rogers (could see Bubba helping here too)

That's 10 spots, so presumably Schmidt would handle LB duties as well. If it's true that Freund is retained for QBs, then we are just looking at OL & WR coaches. Or perhaps Freund coaches WRs & a new QB coach is hired. I imagine 1 of the Off coaches would handle TEs as well.

Atleast we wont have a cb/safety?lb teaching running backs lol

I jad heard rumblings about this at the hockey game in the green mill bar. Didnt want to write it on here as i get rail roaded to much for spweing info from the good ole boy network but should be a good hire.

So with the press release stating the the defensive staff is set, is it safe to assume Bubba will be helping with the secondary and Schmidt will coach ILB's? Open positions are still QB/WR/OL. Two more coaches likely (WR/OL) and Rudolph takes the QB's?

HC - Bubba

OC - Rudolph

RB/Recruiting - Maurice

DC - Schmidt

DL - Gigli

OLB - Schwenzfeier

DB - Rodgers

ST - Kostich (rumored)