SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU

bincitysioux

Still trying to figure out how Cody Larson was granted a waiver to play this year. Solid player for SDSU. Not afraid to talk a little after each whistle.

He wasn't on the basketball team the last year when he was at Florida. So he technically sat out 1 year, which is what you need to do so you can play at another D1 school. Larson also gets to play next year as well.

He wasn't on the basketball team the last year when he was at Florida. So he technically sat out 1 year, which is what you need to do so you can play at another D1 school. Larson also gets to play next year as well.

I honestly don't know how the rule reads but he didn't sit out because he wanted to, he sat out is because Billy Donovan didn't give him his scholarship back because he hadn't met the terms Donovan put out. The NCAA is so absurd with their inconsistencies in rulings on transfers that you never know which way it will go. That being said, he looks like a good player for the Jacks, hope he has matured and can use all that talent he has.

Yup and it resulted in the worst basketball I have ever seen. Lost to mayville too that year.

Yeah the Princeton offense was a joke but the offense we run now is run in similar fashion by many top teams with the exception that they move the ball around to the open man and they have a great inside out game which I don't recall once this year that when the ball goes down low it ever gets kicked back out. Our fundamentals are so bad its getting hard to watch and that's exactly why we are getting beat at this point.

I would really like to see someone box-out when a rebound is coming down.

i fully agree but... it is a lot more of a challenge when our guys under the basket are 6'3" and theirs are 6'8"! We just don't have any size (height or strength). That said, I think the same statement could be made even if our bigger guys were healthy!

i fully agree but... it is a lot more of a challenge when our guys under the basket are 6'3" and theirs are 6'8"! We just don't have any size (height or strength). That said, I think the same statement could be made even if our bigger guys were healthy!

That's the reason that a good box-out is even more important right now.

SDSU looked good. Moved the ball around and found the open player. They were more physical than us. I am looking for a reason to be optimistic going forward. Are we a 500 team or 800 team?

Since the Big Sky is pretty weak, outside of Weber St. and Montana, I think we will be just fine in conference play. Probably pretty close to a .750 win percentage in league. Should have no problem making the tourney, but winning it's another story. Talent is there, but they need to play as a team to win the tourney...

Since the Big Sky is pretty weak, outside of Weber St. and Montana, I think we will be just fine in conference play. Probably pretty close to a .750 win percentage in league. Should have no problem making the tourney, but winning it's another story. Talent is there, but they need to play as a team to win the tourney...

I'd watch for UNC too. They have looked pretty good to start. The baby eagles will give teams fits too but are still a year away.

It's very apparent our weakness is down low thru these non-conference teams and to be honest it will continue to be a weakness. The bright side is that most Big Sky teams are not nearly as strong down low like the competition we have faced so far and they will play with 3-4 guards which plays in our favor. As mentioned above our fundamentals are not good right now and that must be improved upon but I'm not confident of that because its been this way for 4 years with these players and no changes have been made. Also, concerned about the injuries to Traylor and Schuler and wonder how bad they might be. Schuler looked bad when he left the court with his shoulder and how long are we going to be putting him in the low block on free throws against guys 6" taller and weigh 60-70 more pounds and let him get beat up. He is too valuable to this team for that.

As someone who grew up watching Gunther's teams, the lack of fundamentals, discipline, and team play with this very talented group is painful almost to the point of being unbearable. Does the coach have any influence on this group or do we just throw out a basketball and scrimmage. The seniors have made no progress on teamwork in 4 years.

As someone who grew up watching Gunther's teams, the lack of fundamentals, discipline, and team play with this very talented group is painful almost to the point of being unbearable. Does the coach have any influence on this group or do we just throw out a basketball and scrimmage. The seniors have made no progress on teamwork in 4 years.

Remember Clausen? Wasn't there a post from Turkey also - can't remember the name. I was at UND late 70's early 80's. Had some great teams - rarely lost at home and won road games regularly also.

Thanks UND. I was trying to remember more of the names of the 1979 - 1982 teams. Steve Brekke was in there. Clausen was an animal. There was a slightly chubby guard.

I remember that 1981-82 team was really good with Clausen, Sonat, Brekke, Aaron Harris and...Rod Merriam maybe? I can't seem to recall the fifth starter off hand if it was not Merriam.

I honestly don't know how the rule reads but he didn't sit out because he wanted to, he sat out is because Billy Donovan didn't give him his scholarship back because he hadn't met the terms Donovan put out. The NCAA is so absurd with their inconsistencies in rulings on transfers that you never know which way it will go. That being said, he looks like a good player for the Jacks, hope he has matured and can use all that talent he has.

That's not accurate. Larson got into trouble at Florida and Donovan took away his scholarship but he wasn't booted from the team - that was in the news in April, 2012. Donovan left it up to Cody to work hard and earn a spot on the team and in the Spring of 2012, Larson was working as hard as anyone on the team at Florida in the off season and Donovan said so to the press. But, that summer, Cody decided to take a break from basketball -- it was Cody's decision. Cody remained at Florida for the 2012-13 academic year, working on a double major and getting good grades (he's capable of 4.0 or nearly 4.0 work). As the academic year was winding down, he was thinking about returning to basketball and he decided to transfer to SDSU. An application was made to the NCAA for determination of his remaining eligibility. The NCAA cleared him to play this year, the first of two years of remaining eligibility.

Some who had followed Cody's career always said he'd return to South Dakota and likely SDSU. Cody's known several of the guys on SDSU's team from AAU ball in high school days. I think its a great matchup for Cody and for SDSU. Cody has a sister who is a student/athlete at SDSU.

For some crazy reason I decided to watch the game (since I haven't yet) and my thoughts for the 1st half:

-4 moments stick out to me in the 1st half for o-board miscues

1) Webb and Schuler both fail to block out Hemmstra at the 17:25 mark of the 1st half, SDSU would later convert a 3 point play

2) Calcaterra misses a block out on Heemsta at 12:12 mark of 1st half, SDSU hits 3

3) Nash missed a box out at 6:16, result Nash foul

4) Nash get boards, but fails to be strong with the ball and Bittle steal it for 2

SDSU gets 8 big points and a key Nash foul in this half alone

-A couple of times I noticed that Nash would not take the open shot and would instead settle for a more contested shot, sometimes its easier to catch a shot in rhythm and bury it and try and create. They were 2 shot that Nash could have easily made.

-team is still inconsistent in their zone offense, some times they will go down and actually execute and move the ball around well and attack the middle of the zone. Other times they would resort back to their old ways, other times they get the movements but don't execute. Its a snails pace of improvement, but this is something that these guys should know how to execute since their HS days.

-I actually like in the zone offense putting Calcaterra and Benton in the middle, they need to get in there more because they can distribute. I am a huge proponent of big men in the middle getting 3-5 assists a night from that spot.

-there was a lot of fouls that were 90+ feet from the basket. dumb, dumb, dumb

-the stretch that killed us was the turnovers and our poor D execution, we lost our man too many times during that stretch.

I hope these guys ran zone offense and shell drills all week this team, conference play starts on Sunday. Time to man up