SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Western Michigan - Friday

AZSIOUX

AGREE. I'd actually move Mattson up to that fourth line forward spot. He is a weaker dman with more offensive upside...

I've been thinking the same thing for a couple of weeks. he has speed and some skill. Chay played forward for better part of 2 years and i think Mattson might be useful in a forward role.

Yeah; I just threw his name in there at the last second. I'm thinking more Ausmus/Thompson, maybe Mattson. Mattson has been prone to defensive error this year.

I thought after last weekends games that LaDue was our second best defensemen. After last night it's hard to argue against Stecher. I would like to se Simpson and LaDue together and Schmaltz with Stecher.

I thought after last weekends games that LaDue was our second best defensemen. After last night it's hard to argue against Stecher. I would like to se Simpson and LaDue together and Schmaltz with Stecher.

I originally thought that too, especially when Simpson and Schmaltz were split against St. Lawrence. But the problem that developed in that game, I noticed, is that they're on the same PP unit (which I agree with). With how prevalent special teams are, it's almost easier in terms of D pair rotation to keep them together throughout the game.

I think he was just saying that we don't need any sort of rotation; we should just sit Mattson.

As of now yes the way everyone is playing. Also was thinking maybe mattson to forward with the injuries. Either way nice to see the team find some chemistry last night! Look forward to tonight's game!

Agree, stetcher has been so damn good with tons of confidence and poise. Very impressive for a first year player on the blue line

I'd say if we're arguing about who the top six d men are thats a good problem to have. Right now IMHO I think that Mattson is probably the odd man out with how good Thompson has looked. I think they may have found something with Panzarella at forward. Just an added physical body out there in the corners never hurt anybody.

As soon as they're all healthy Mark-Parks-OD should start producing. Mark still having issues skating, but huge on the PK last night. If they get that group going than three of the four units are pretty well set. Getting St. Clair back will be huge after December. Than you can put him with Rodwell and Pattyn and move Gaarder with Tambo and (insert winger's name here).

Still a lot of work to come, but maybe this group will find an identity after their come to Jesus meeting in the room after the black Friday meltdown. If they win tonight and sweep Northern at home that puts them on a five game streak heading into the break.

I'd say if we're arguing about who the top six d men are thats a good problem to have. Right now IMHO I think that Mattson is probably the odd man out with how good Thompson has looked. I think they may have found something with Panzarella at forward. Just an added physical body out there in the corners never hurt anybody.

As soon as they're all healthy Mark-Parks-OD should start producing. Mark still having issues skating, but huge on the PK last night. If they get that group going than three of the four units are pretty well set. Getting St. Clair back will be huge after December. Than you can put him with Rodwell and Pattyn and move Gaarder with Tambo and (insert winger's name here).

Still a lot of work to come, but maybe this group will find an identity after their come to Jesus meeting in the room after the black Friday meltdown. If they win tonight and sweep Northern at home that puts them on a five game streak heading into the break.

Just curious as to why you would break up Pattyn, Gaarder, and Rodwell. That group is really clicking now and adding scoring. I would try adding St. Clair on one of the lines that isn't clicking rather than break up something that is working.

Just curious as to why you would break up Pattyn, Gaarder, and Rodwell. That group is really clicking now and adding scoring. I would try adding St. Clair on one of the lines that isn't clicking rather than break up something that is working.

I agree- I think Gaarder is best suited to a fourth line role. I think St Clair and Chyzyk bring more offensive playmaking and skill, and Murphy was brought in to do a little scoring too.

AND not only do Rodwell, Pattyn, Gaarder seem to be clicking, but also, they could have a great nickname for a banging line...the RPG line...

Murphy has not done anything. Colten when healthy on 3rd line w Tambo and Chyzyk.

Thompson needs to get stronger but he is just 17. He made some get outlet passes last night that most of our veteran Dman haven't made in weeks.

Murphy has not done anything. Colten when healthy on 3rd line w Tambo and Chyzyk.

Thompson needs to get stronger but he is just 17. He made some get outlet passes last night that most of our veteran Dman haven't made in weeks.

I agree. Chyzyk over Murphy (unless Murphy starts doing something amazing from now til Christmas).

The rate at which Thompson has improved over just five games is incredibly encouraging. I've also been stoked by the play of Stecher. The freshman D may feel slightly over their heads now, but all this experience early on can only help as they develop.

I think Gaarder will give you more offensively than St. Clair will. But if that fourth line continues to produce like it has you are correct to go with the "If it isn't broken don't fix it" mentality.

Whomever St. Clair lines up with becomes a more physical line. I'm anxious to see him back in the lineup.

I think Gaarder will give you more offensively than St. Clair will. But if that fourth line continues to produce like it has you are correct to go with the "If it isn't broken don't fix it" mentality.

Whomever St. Clair lines up with becomes a more physical line. I'm anxious to see him back in the lineup.

One thing that I have noticed this year is a lack of anyone in front of the net many times. That fourth line (Pattyn, Gaarder, and Rodwell) seems to be the one able to do it, although last night Luke Johnson did a decent job of it as well. I am wondering if St. Clair could be a front of the net guy if matched up with a couple of more finesse skaters.

I guess that I am not convinced Gaarder gives more offensively, especially since he just went though about a 31 game goal-scoring drought. He suddenly seems to have found it last week and this week though. I do believe that St. Clair has an offensive potential to him, it just hasn't made much of an appearance yet.

Unless things turn around, I am afraid that injuries and the flu bug may continue to make lineup decisions and all of our mixing and matching become meaningless drivel. (it probably is anyway).

Just curious as to how many others saw Hakstol show some emotion on the bench when Rodwell scored. He actually jumped a little bit and pumped both arms into the air. There may even have been a hint of a smile, but that part could be basis for a rumor.

• Upvote 1

I think St Clair gives you more offensively than Gaarder. Although neither is a dynamo

If UND continues with the D&C IMO both Colton and Bryn have some speed are physical in the corners and on the walls. To me Gaarder is a great fit w them but that breaks up the 4th line so Tambo by default is your 3rd line center.