SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach?

Cratter

NDSU President Bresciani said today that it might be a while before the UND/NDSU game can be restarted because UND isn't very competitive in football right now and NDSU would just as soon wait till the game would be more competitive. Over the years they sure have come up with a lot of reasons why the game can't be played. Boring.

And how bad it will hurt when FU falls off that high horse!

I know you live in Fargo and have to deal with the FU faithful more than most, but you seemed more concerned about them failing then UND rebuilding.

It goes both ways. NDSU falling helps UND's rebuilding. We are 70 miles apart, NDSU can throw 2 (and if they win tomorrow 3) NC in the face of any potential recruit, what can UND throw at the same recruit? A GWFC title? A new coaching staff? Playing time? UND doesn't hold many cards in this state when it comes to football, and we are way behind the 8 ball when we are in a recruiting battle with the Bison. But when they fall and stay down year after year, UND can take advantage of that to make their program stronger and stronger until we are on top. Case in point...1990's-2007. NDSU down, UND up. Its very rare that both schools are on top the football world at the same time.

• Upvote 1

NDSU President Bresciani said today that it might be a while before the UND/NDSU game can be restarted because UND isn't very competitive in football right now and NDSU would just as soon wait till the game would be more competitive. Over the years they sure have come up with a lot of reasons why the game can't be played. Boring.

But Ferris State, Prairie View A&M are more competitive?

More competitive, like Robert Morris, Delaware State, Prairie View A&M, Ferris State, Lafayette and St. Francis. They were all solid, non-conference teams that Gene locked up to make their schedule "competitive".

And how bad it will hurt when FU falls off that high horse!

UND needs 1 OOC game in 2015 and our schedule is full for the next 3 seasons. (2014-2016). NDSU will be begging UND for a game cause their schedule will be full of the likes of Ferris State.

I was speaking yesterday with 2 friends that are former college coaches and they both believe that UND now has a better staff than NDSU. They also believe UND football will become the more dominant program over the next 4-5 years. I even tried to play devils advocate in the discussion, but was stopped abruptly with reasons for the shift in power.

UND has two coaches on staff that we know of. NDSU has Klieman and I believe one from the current staff has been publicly been slated to stay, and has named the new coordinators. How can a comparison be made at this point? Unless you have some more names...

UND has two coaches on staff that we know of. NDSU has Klieman and I believe one from the current staff has been publicly been slated to stay, and has named the new coordinators. How can a comparison be made at this point? Unless you have some more names...

They have Randy Hedberg. LOL. Great hire.

Where was/when was this said? Any links?

Sorry, we were assuming Bubba, Schmidt and Rudolph.

It goes both ways. NDSU falling helps UND's rebuilding. We are 70 miles apart, NDSU can throw 2 (and if they win tomorrow 3) NC in the face of any potential recruit, what can UND throw at the same recruit? A GWFC title? A new coaching staff? Playing time? UND doesn't hold many cards in this state when it comes to football, and we are way behind the 8 ball when we are in a recruiting battle with the Bison. But when they fall and stay down year after year, UND can take advantage of that to make their program stronger and stronger until we are on top. Case in point...1990's-2007. NDSU down, UND up. Its very rare that both schools are on top the football world at the same time.

I don't disagree with some of what you said, but my point was that you seem to be more incredibly more focused on the part of the equation that involves NDSU failing and not the part that is UND succeeding. UND can and will rebuild in to a very good team regardless of what happens in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

I don't disagree with some of what you said, but my point was that you seem to be more incredibly more focused on the part of the equation that involves NDSU failing and not the part that is UND succeeding. UND can and will rebuild in to a very good team regardless of what happens in Fargo.

I can't wait to see them fall, kinda like a kid at Christmas, and at the same time I can't wait to see UND's name being called on Selection Sunday. With Muss we didn't have a chance, with Bubba there is hope.

I was speaking yesterday with 2 friends that are former college coaches and they both believe that UND now has a better staff than NDSU. They also believe UND football will become the more dominant program over the next 4-5 years. I even tried to play devils advocate in the discussion, but was stopped abruptly with reasons for the shift in power.

lets not get the cart ahead of the horse here. I agree It might be fun to dream of a potential. turn around of circumstances. BUT, we need to humbly build Sioux football from the ground up. what happens to NDSU shouldn't matter.

• Upvote 2

But when they fall and stay down year after year, UND can take advantage of that to make their program stronger and stronger until we are on top. Case in point...1990's-2007. NDSU down, UND up. Its very rare that both schools are on top the football world at the same time.

I can't wait to see them fall, kinda like a kid at Christmas, ...........................

I'm just curious as to why you think they are sure to "fall and stay down year after year"?

After this Saturday, they will have won 11 national championships in the last 50 years.

I get more excited about the prospects of North Dakota becoming better, than I do blissfully hoping that NDSU somehow gets bad. To each their own I guess.

• Upvote 3

I can't wait to see them fall, kinda like a kid at Christmas, and at the same time I can't wait to see UND's name being called on Selection Sunday. With Muss we didn't have a chance, with Bubba there is hope.

I can't wait to see us rise. I actually don't want them to fall. I want to meet them in an epic game with two great teams that knock the !@#$ out of each other and rekindle this rivalry.

• Upvote 3

I'm just curious as to why you think they are sure to "fall and stay down year after year"?

After this Saturday, they will have won 11 national championships in the last 50 years.

I get more excited about the prospects of North Dakota becoming better, than I do blissfully hoping that NDSU somehow gets bad. To each their own I guess.

My definition of "down" is 6-5 and maybe 7-4, not playing for NC every year. Yeah they won 11 NC in the last 50 years but they also went without hosting a playoff game from 93-09 (minus 04-07 with transition), that's 13 years. UND has 1 playoff appearance when NDSU has won a NC (1965), the other years UND was either down or missed the playoffs (1984 with 8-3 record). There is a trend. NDSU down=UND up, 2001 UND won a NC, NDSU was 7-3 no playoffs, 2003 UND played for a NC, NDSU was 8-3 no playoffs. When you recruit in the same area as your in-state rival, it doesn't matter if you don't play or not, you have to hope they are down and your school up to give your school more of an advantage on a recruit especially if you both are going after the same kid. I know we need to focus on #1 first (UND) but you cannot ignore what is happening in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

Former NFL qb, former d2 head coach, former fcs asst. on paper many would agree it is a good hire.

I was never a big fan of Hedberg as Offensive Coordinator in Grand Forks in the 1990's, but he did have success at St. Cloud as head coach. Hedberg's move to FU is proof that the wheels are coming off of Lennon's regime at SIU.

Hedberg's move to FU is proof that the wheels are coming off of Lennon's regime at SIU.

Or, maybe it's proof that the FU Bandwagon now hauls coaches as well. ???

Seriously, there's some speculation that Hedberg's wife has family situations that demand her time to be spent in Fargo. If that's why he moved to NDSU, good for him. Timing was perfect for them if that's indeed the case.

But that throws a hole in your theory.

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach is simple support your players and your new coaching staff. So much negativity from so call SIOUX Fans....Enjoy the moment and hopefully next season. Give them time to build the program and the players.

• Upvote 2