SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance 2013

darell1976

Winning is always the issue.

The only thing which really varies with any program's attendance is where the ceiling or floor is set. For some it's higher due to capacity, population, competition from other entertainment dollars, etc. Every AD knows what is above/below the mean. What we are seeing is in the toilet.

To those that question whether attendance is based on winning and losing - I skipped the last home game because I wasn't enjoying UND football games at that point of the season. I went to every other home game this year but sat the last one out. I blow quite a bit of cash every year to go to these games for the sole purpose of having fun. When it isn't fun to attend, I sure as hell don't feel guilty about finding something better to do on any given Saturday.

Do we have to be perfect? - of course not. I've watched more than my share of losses while cheering on UND football.

But I, along with PLENTY of others, got sick of watching the train-wreck that is the 2013 football season.

• Upvote 2

Everyone's choice on why they attend or don't attend. I attended because I thought the seniors deserved a send-off they signed on 4-5 years ago at the start of transitiion knowing the schedule was going to be brutal, I'm thinking Great West wasn't signed on yet so no chance for all conference honors when they signed, but they came and are now Sioux for life and they deserved to have someone cheering for them at their last home game.

2013:

Total Attendance (7 games) 58,501

Avg Attendance 8357

2012:

Total Attendance (6 games) 53,770

Avg Attendance 8,962

2011:

Total Attendance (6 games) 47,045

Avg Attendance 7,841

2010:

Total Attendance (5 games) 40,771

Avg Attendance 8154

2009:

Total Attendance (5 games) 42,696

Avg Attendance 8539

2008:

Total Attendance (5 games) 50,837

Avg Attendance 10,167

2007:

Total Attendance (6 games) 59,322

Avg Attendance 9887 (ranked #5 in DII)

2013:

Avg Attendance 8357

2012:

Avg Attendance 8,962

2011:

Avg Attendance 7,841

2010:

Avg Attendance 8154

2009:

Avg Attendance 8539

2008:

Avg Attendance 10,167

2007:

So what's your point Coach darrell? Those are merely statisitcs and don't mean anything... :silly:

The fact that this season was the worst average attendance during the Muss era is because of the schedule and all those highly rated teams we had to play against. ;)

So what's your point Coach darrell? Those are merely statisitcs and don't mean anything... :silly:

The fact that this season was the worst average attendance during the Muss era is because of the schedule and all those highly rated teams we had to play against. ;)

but it was the highest total attendance since 2007. :whistling:

attendance counts season tickets sold, actual buts in seat would look awfully dismal this year.

Correct...my seats are counted in the attendance #s even when I/we didn't go...or could even give our tickets away this season. :sad:

Attendance doesn't mean anything, just a bunch of random numbers made up by the NCAA. ;)

Everyone's choice on why they attend or don't attend. I attended because I thought the seniors deserved a send-off they signed on 4-5 years ago at the start of transitiion knowing the schedule was going to be brutal, I'm thinking Great West wasn't signed on yet so no chance for all conference honors when they signed, but they came and are now Sioux for life and they deserved to have someone cheering for them at their last home game.

Thought about it see Hardin play one last time, but I live in Williston now, went to 4 games... it's a long drive and expensive and the product was really really hard to watch in some of those games. Decided I'd go to a hockey weekend later instead with those resources.

I think the total attendance and average attendance are misleading. They actually paint a much brighter picture than what really is happening.

A much more telling stat is the actual attendance per game - and the fact that it dropped at an alarming rate as we progressively urinated the season down our legs.

From undsports.com:

• Valpo 9269 (of note: we win, and next home game's attendance goes up)
  • SDSU 10038 (of note: we lose, and next home game's attendance goes down)
  • Montana 9726
  • Mont. St. 8899
  • E. Wash 7951
  • Sac St. 6634
  • N. CO 5984

Yes - winning, IMO, is directly proportional to attendance.

I think the total attendance and average attendance are misleading. They actually paint a much brighter picture than what really is happening.

A much more telling stat is the actual attendance per game - and the fact that it dropped at an alarming rate as we progressively urinated the season down our legs.

From undsports.com:

• Valpo 9269 (of note: we win, and next home game's attendance goes up)
  • SDSU 10038 (of note: we lose, and next home game's attendance goes down)
  • Montana 9726
  • Mont. St. 8899
  • E. Wash 7951
  • Sac St. 6634
  • N. CO 5984

Yes - winning, IMO, is directly proportional to attendance.

To me, the EWU number is the most telling, as it was homecoming. In the not-too-distant past, that crowd would generally always have been one of the two biggest of the season. As recently as 2009, homecoming was over 12,000. When you start crunching the numbers of how much more money could have been brought in this season with even modest success, you see how easily it could be to recoup the increased salary of the next coach and staff from additional ticket sales.

2013:

Avg Attendance 8357

2012:

Avg Attendance 8,962

2011:

Avg Attendance 7,841

2010:

Avg Attendance 8154

2009:

Avg Attendance 8539

2008:

Avg Attendance 10,167

2007:

I find it interesting that paid attendance in 2011 was less than it was this year. 2011 was Mussman's best year going 8-3 and winning the Great West. Of course the year prior in 2010, we were 3-8, and I think we can all agree that the 8-3 year in 2011 was somewhat surprising.

Expectations were artificially high coming into this season, and therefore there was by all accounts a significant bump in season ticket sales which boosted the paid numbers. Obviously, actual attendance waned as the season unfolded. Don't know how many of those new tickets got used the latter part of the home schedule.

Will a new coaching hire do enough to reinvigorate the fan base going into next year to rebuild attendance right away? Or will we continue to see crowds of 5,000-7,000 until the on-field results show a significant improvement?

I find it interesting that paid attendance in 2011 was less than it was this year. 2011 was Mussman's best year going 8-3 and winning the Great West. Of course the year prior in 2010, we were 3-8, and I think we can all agree that the 8-3 year in 2011 was somewhat surprising.

2011 we also played 3 non DI teams so that didn't help attendance.

Agreed, but the year they went 8-3 attendance was no better and last year they had one of the most entertaining offensives in UND history and started out with a winning record before fading and home attendance was no better - perhaps we are destined to be in the top 50 for attendance and the best way to enjoy it is to stop comparing the program to others who have the luxury of being the only game in town.

Thank God you are not holding Faison's job right now. I imagine Mussman would have received a lengthy contract extension. :silly:

I bet if we get the right guy in here that says the right things and looks the part and puts on a good showing over the winter and spring tickets may actually increase

Unless God himself takes over this team there is no way the number of season ticket holders increase over last year.

I will take wagers on this from anyone that feels like giving away their paycheck. This offer stands until the list of finalists is released.

Unless God himself takes over this team there is no way the number of season ticket holders increase over last year.

I will take wagers on this from anyone that feels like giving away their paycheck. This offer stands until the list of finalists is released.

When UND brings in Tony Dungy you are going to lose this bet.

• Upvote 1