SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Miami - FRIDAY GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

Sioux need to stay out of the box if they want points out of this weekend...a repeat of the number of power plays they gave Vermont will not work against Miami...hoping for some good up and down action by UND, would like to see what they can do against a good skating team like Miami. Go Sioux!

Bottomline: Zane or Clark will have to be huge early and someone will have to pop one in to quiet the crowd to give us a chance. The freshman in the lineup can't play like freshman this series. If we parade to the box, it will be a 5-1 beatdown or worse.

I agree. I think the beginning of this game will be key. Miami should have a good crowd there (NCHC opener, homecoming weekend, and #1 ranking).

A couple of early goals by Miami would keep the crowd "in the game." In contrast, no early goals by Miami should boost the confidence of our young defensive players.

Anyone else think Panz plays tonight due to experience and his physical play? I think he does. Simpson, Schmaltz, Stecher, LeDue...is Mattson the 6th?

I don't. I think his play last friday night with the 3 penalties earned him the 8th D-spot. I wonder if he even made the trip.

I don't. I think his play last friday night with the 3 penalties earned him the 8th D-spot. I wonder if he even made the trip.

The issue I have is Mattson is good for about a goal/game against with his play in the D zone and Mitch paraded to box a lot last weekend as well but seems to contiue to be a top 6 forward without any production. Panz was not great Friday but Mattson and Mitch were brutal all weekend.

The issue I have is Mattson is good for about a goal/game against with his play in the D zone and Mitch paraded to box a lot last weekend as well but seems to contiue to be a top 6 forward without any production. Panz was not great Friday but Mattson and Mitch were brutal all weekend.

I agree with your assessment of Mitch but you have something against Mattson. I thought he was alright last weekend and should be a staple on the backend all year.

I agree with your assessment of Mitch but you have something against Mattson. I thought he was alright last weekend and should be a staple on the backend all year.

UND needs Mattson to play well to match up with Miami...or anybody for that matter...he returns to his freshman form and I really like our D...
  • Upvote 1

UND needs Mattson to play well to match up with Miami...or anybody for that matter...he returns to his freshman form and I really like our D...

Mattson's overall play has regressed IMO from his Fr. year. He is way too loose and sloppy with the puck in the D zone...especially as a 3rd year D-man.

National TV games tend to have longer TV timeouts. Longer TV timeouts mean less of a four line game. Load up the top two units, and have your third and fourth steal some shifts here and there between TV timeouts.

Mark-Johnson-Parks

Tambellini-Drake-Rocco

Gaarder-Pattyn-St. Clair

Mitch-Chyzyk-O'Donnel (rarely sees the ice)

D scratches: Thompson and Ausmus

Zane in the net.

National TV games tend to have longer TV timeouts. Longer TV timeouts mean less of a four line game. Load up the top two units, and have your third and fourth steal some shifts here and there between TV timeouts.

Mark-Johnson-Parks

Tambellini-Drake-Rocco

Gaarder-Pattyn-St. Clair

Mitch-Chyzyk-O'Donnel (rarely sees the ice)

D scratches: Thompson and Ausmus

Zane in the net.

I agree on TV impact, but I think you have to be able to roll 3 against Miami. I also think BO'D earned some ice last weekend. Here's what I'd do- love your top 2 lines.

Top line: Drake with Rocco and Tambo

Second: Johnson with Parks and Mark Mac

Third for scoring: St. Clair with O'Donnell and Chyzyk

Third for checking/energy: Pattyn with Gaarder and Mitch Mac

Panzo and Thompson sit on D tonight

Zane in

I agree on TV impact, but I think you have to be able to roll 3 against Miami. I also think BO'D earned some ice last weekend. Here's what I'd do- love your top 2 lines.

Top line: Drake with Rocco and Tambo

Second: Johnson with Parks and Mark Mac

Third for scoring: St. Clair with O'Donnell and Chyzyk

Third for checking/energy: Pattyn with Gaarder and Mitch Mac

Panzo and Thompson sit on D tonight

Zane in

I like your setup, probably better than mine with the chance that the third unit with St. Clair could add scoring to the fold. Then you've got whatever line Pattyn centers as the grind unit.

I was crossed as to whether sit Panzo or Ausmus. I went with experience, but I don't think there is a wrong choice. I mean other than Thompson sits tonight.

Per Schlossman: Chyzyk is IN, Mitch Mac is OUT; Gotheberg starting

So does that mean then:

OD-Johnson-Parks

Tambo-Drake-Rocco

Pattyn-Gaarder-St. Clair

Chyzyk-Mark-Murphy

I'm thinking with no Mitch those lines have to be juggled a bit. Maybe Mark, Parks, OD. Then you have Johnson with Bryn and Murphy?

So does that mean then:

OD-Johnson-Parks

Tambo-Drake-Rocco

Pattyn-Gaarder-St. Clair

Chyzyk-Mark-Murphy

I'm thinking with no Mitch those lines have to be juggled a bit. Maybe Mark, Parks, OD. Then you have Johnson with Bryn and Murphy?

Yup, brad just posted it. What I said....errr...the latter.

Copyright Brad Schloss:

UND’s lines

21 Brendan O’Donnell–16 Mark MacMillan–15 Michael Parks

10 Adam Tambellini–9 Drake Caggiula–19 Rocco Grimaldi

29 Bryn Chyzyk–27 Luke Johnson–7 Wade Murphy

13 Connor Gaarder–28 Stephane Pattyn–17 Colten St. Clair

18 Dillon Simpson–24 Jordan Schmaltz

5 Nick Mattson–6 Paul LaDue

20 Gage Ausmus–2 Troy Stecher

31 Zane Gothberg

33 Clarke Saunders

Copyright Brad Schloss:

UND’s lines

21 Brendan O’Donnell–16 Mark MacMillan–15 Michael Parks

10 Adam Tambellini–9 Drake Caggiula–19 Rocco Grimaldi

29 Bryn Chyzyk–27 Luke Johnson–7 Wade Murphy

13 Connor Gaarder–28 Stephane Pattyn–17 Colten St. Clair

18 Dillon Simpson–24 Jordan Schmaltz

5 Nick Mattson–6 Paul LaDue

20 Gage Ausmus–2 Troy Stecher

31 Zane Gothberg

33 Clarke Saunders

I like these forwards lines a lot.

I like these forwards lines a lot.

I know we all have green goggles on half the time, but that fourth unit could be one of the better ones in the nation. If you're going by what a prototypical fourth line is asked to do. Gosh if you keep them together for a while....