SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

Langen evidently had a heck of a game last night, as she had 25 points, 16 rebounds, 5 blocks, 4 assists and 3 steals to lead Kittson Central to a relatively easy win over Fosston. It will be interesting to see what the UND strength and conditioning program will do for her. I'm sure she's never going to be particularly quick, but if she gets into a little better condition, with her size and strength, I would think she could be an effective low-post scorer, especially considering at the college level she'll be single-covered most of the time. Hopefully Kittson Central makes it to the finals so we can see her play on tv.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live out of state and was only able to see one Women's game this year (the SU game in GF). We have had such problems with turnovers this year. Why is this? Lack of ball handling talent? Having such a short point guard? Lack of discipline? All of the above? Your thoughts?

I live out of state and was only able to see one Women's game this year (the SU game in GF).    We have had such problems with turnovers this year.  Why is this?  Lack of ball handling talent?  Having such a short point guard?  Lack of discipline?  All of the above?  Your thoughts?

There have certainly been some games in which turnovers have been a huge issue. Overall, however, UND has averaged about 17 to's per game. Not great, but not too terrible considering that the Sioux are trying to get into transition at every opportunity. UND ranked third and fourth in the NCC in turnover margin and assist-to-turnover ratio, respectively.

Interestingly, Leighton is by far and away the biggest culprit when it comes to turnovers. Quite honestly, I didn't even realize this until I looked at the stats.

i cannot believe they allowed them to host a regional.

I'm sick of you not giving CSP the respect they get for hosting the tournament. Maybe you people should educate yourself and notice the bylaws of how the NCAA finds the hosting team. Everyone who actually knows how to read and knows anything about basketball, knows that teams don't enter a bid to host a division 2 regional, the regional goes to the team that is the highest seed in the region. For example California-Penn is hosting because they were the number 1 seed in their region, while Drury is hosting because they are the number one seed in their region... are you catching on or do I need to give you more examples??? One of you (I am not sure which imbred it was, not that I care) mentioned that CSP lost to St Cloud State by 1 in the first game of the season and then reeled off a 16 game winning streak that included victories over NDSU, SDSU, and MSU-Mankato... While on the other hand, UND beat UM-Crookston by a whooping 7 points... Way to go Sioux you beat the team that finished 9th in the NSIC... That's a quality victory... As far as facilities go who cares that CSP's aren't up to your snobby hillbilly standards, but I can rattle off quite a few division 2 gyms that would put yours to shame... Starting with West Texas A&M... But then again I won't stoop to your level, I'll admit that UND has great facilities, but who cares. You need to understand that there are 12 colleges in the Twin Cities area not including the University of Minnesota. While there is a grand total of 6 in the whole state of North Dakota... Can we discuss that when all 6 of your schools are state schools then the government pays you more, but when you are a private school (like CSP) you are required to come up with the money necessary to make your school work... In Concordia's case they chose to use that money to build a library so that everyone could benefit, because their athletic teams have been successful (and continue to be successful) in their "subpar" facilities. You see unlike UND, CSP's athletes are student-athletes not athlete-students.

I'd also like to mention that the last time UND won a basketball title (1999), CSP wasn't EVEN division 2 yet... How long did it take for UND to claim a regional number 1 seed??? And just like your Volleyball team, your Basketball team's season is going to come to an end at the hands of NDSU!!!

I'm sick of you not giving CSP the respect they get for hosting the tournament. Maybe you people should educate yourself and notice the bylaws of how the NCAA finds the hosting team. Everyone who actually knows how to read and knows anything about basketball, knows that teams don't enter a bid to host a division 2 regional, the regional goes to the team that is the highest seed in the region. For example California-Penn is hosting because they were the number 1 seed in their region, while Drury is hosting because they are the number one seed in their region... are you catching on or do I need to give you more examples??? One of you (I am not sure which imbred it was, not that I care) mentioned that CSP lost to St Cloud State by 1 in the first game of the season and then reeled off a 16 game winning streak that included victories over NDSU, SDSU, and MSU-Mankato... While on the other hand, UND beat UM-Crookston by a whooping 7 points... Way to go Sioux you beat the team that finished 9th in the NSIC... That's a quality victory... As far as facilities go who cares that CSP's aren't up to your snobby hillbilly standards, but I can rattle off quite a few division 2 gyms that would put yours to shame... Starting with West Texas A&M... But then again I won't stoop to your level, I'll admit that UND has great facilities, but who cares. You need to understand that there are 12 colleges in the Twin Cities area not including the University of Minnesota. While there is a grand total of 6 in the whole state of North Dakota... Can we discuss that when all 6 of your schools are state schools then the government pays you more, but when you are a private school (like CSP) you are required to come up with the money necessary to make your school work... In Concordia's case they chose to use that money to build a library so that everyone could benefit, because their athletic teams have been successful (and continue to be successful) in their "subpar" facilities. You see unlike UND, CSP's athletes are student-athletes not athlete-students.

I'd also like to mention that the last time UND won a basketball title (1999), CSP wasn't EVEN division 2 yet... How long did it take for UND to claim a regional number 1 seed??? And just like your Volleyball team, your Basketball team's season is going to come to an end at the hands of NDSU!!!

There isn't a person here who doesn't understand that the number 1 seed gets the regional, UND has hosted a bunch of them so that isn't new info for us "hillbillies". What is a joke is that CSP is the #1 seed, you won't find many people who would argue that. Your attempts personal attack attempts at petty at best. No one cares that CSP is private school, that they have to raise their own dough to improve things. The first thing that should be improved is attendence, they averaged about 500, WOW!! Congrats to CSP, you have obviously overcome all the adversity in the world with not relying on state funding, it is hard to believe that they have made it this far, sniffle sniffle, God bless that fine university for not crumbling from the core. I hope their fine "student-athletes" can continue to do well in men's basketball, on the tough NSIC gridiron, and the daunting task that is NSIC women's basketball, God knows they deserve everything that has come to them while fighting through all the unforseen funding problems.

Sioux up 41-24 at halftime. No one should count their chickens yet though. Sioux in big-time foul trouble inside, Leighton has 3, Boese 2 and Demaine 2 and giving up a million offensive boards. Luckily, the Bison are shooting less then 25% from the field with Klabo having missed at least 3 wide open layups. I'd be shocked if it doesn't end up a barn-burner, you know the Bison won't get blown out.

Sounded like a pretty exciting final 10 minutes. The good thing is that the other top team is out of the way. UND and NDSU are the 2 best teams in the region, maybe the country, and it seems like if they played 100 times each team would win 50 of them. I lost respect for the SDSU women after the punding they got at Hyslop earlier this year, really good teams do not get blown out like that, they do not quit like I thought SDSU did. It would be nice to play CSP, just to prove to everyone there and the committee what a gigantic mistake they made in the seeding. If CSP wins tonight, the ticket situation could be crazy for Monday night.

Corella, sorry to dissapoint you. Jacks win in a laugher 74-39. It's funny you lost respect for us yet we tied for the conference championship not with UND but NDSU. UND was lucky to win either of their regional games while Jacks march on. By the way if you want to talk about crowds Jacks fans outnumbered Concordia fans and we will be back in force to hopefully win our 3rd consecutive North Central Regional.

Corella, sorry to dissapoint you. Jacks win in a laugher 74-39. It's funny you lost respect for us yet we tied for the conference championship not with UND but NDSU. UND was lucky to win either of their regional games while Jacks march on. By the way if you want to talk about crowds Jacks fans outnumbered Concordia fans and we will be back in force to hopefully win our 3rd consecutive North Central Regional.

I'm not disappointed at all, in fact I am happy that CSP got shown the door in blowout fashion. We've been discussing for a week how big of a joke they are, and it was proved tonight. For them to make it to the region chamionship game would've been another joke. It shouldn't be such a surprise if anyone lost respect for the bunny women considering the way the players literally quit on their coach at Hyslop. And UND is lucky to win tonight, they played one of the 2 best teams in the country tonight, and a wins a wins a wins a win. No matter how it is sliced, it still goes in the first column.

It feels so good. We just ended NDSU's Division 2 women's basketball. I guess it's only fitting.

WE??? The UND women's team ended it. Even if you were the guy screeching at Bison foul shots, and standing up and complaining to the refs, from the SDSU section. It was the UND women that won the game. Of course if you were on the team, then I will give you credit. I actually felt good leaving the game, because it was such a great game, and that was only fitting.

If you would have told me before the game that Leighton and Boese were only going to combine for 20 points, I would have thought the Sioux would lose by 20. Nice effort by the other three starters to all exceed their scoring averages.

I certainly expected SDSU to beat Concordia, and I'm not surprised that it wasn't even close, but a 35-point margin of victory? Wow, talk about a number-one seed laying an egg. I'm sure Concordia isn't as bad as the score would indicate, but still, that must have been a very poor performance. I've never heard of a number-one seed losing quite that bad. I'd like to think that everybody's-favorite-regional-committee has learned a lesson, but I doubt it. ;)

It was a great game last night, fitting for an end to a rivalry. UND played very well in the first half, then struggled badly in the second half. ndsu showed alot of heart in the second during their comeback, and almost pulled it off. I can't tell you how frustrating it is for me to watch UND's best player, Marisa Leighton, constantly pick up dumb, frustration fouls, after missing a basket down low. It always gets her into foul trouble. I also think Gene put her in too early when she had 4 fouls with 7:52 left in the game. I would have waited until at the earliest, the five minute mark. You need to have her for crunch time down the stretch. And speaking of crunch time, how about Marry Perrizo's left-handed runner across the lane with a couple people in her face? Don't know if that's a shot I could have made. She really showed her senior leadership last night, and played an excellent game. I hope there is no letdown on Monday. Cant make that game, so for the people that will be there, cheer for me too. I must also say that it feels good to win the last FB, Men's BB, and Women's BB games to end the UND-ndsu rivalry. Good luck to the women on Monday!!

GO SIOUX!!!!

WE??? The UND women's team ended it. Even if you were the guy screeching at Bison foul shots, and standing up and complaining to the refs, from the SDSU section. It was the UND women that won the game. Of course if you were on the team, then I will give you credit. I actually felt good leaving the game, because it was such a great game, and that was only fitting.

My Bad, Mister BisonMav.

Even though SDSU has obviously done very well the past three seasons, the good news is that UND has had very good success against them, going 7-3 over the past three seasons, and having won 18 of the last 21 going back a few more years. All three losses have come in Brookings, so that's a positive as well considering this game is obviously on a neutral court.

I'm not making any predictions, but the biggest keys in my opinion will be:

1. Stay out of foul trouble. Both SDSU and NDSU have had a tendency to get the Sioux into foul difficulty, and obviously UND doesn't have much depth so it will be critical to keep the starters on the court as much as possible.

2. Keep the turnovers to a reasonable number. In two of the three losses UND has had to SDSU in the past two years, a big reason has been committing more than 20 turnovers.

3. Rebound. It's not even necessary to actually win the battle of the boards, but UND can't be badly out-rebounded and expect to win. Ironically, the one loss this year came despite out-rebounding SDSU, whereas in the two wins the Sioux were actually out-rebounded.

Even though SDSU has obviously done very well the past three seasons, the good news is that UND has had very good success against them, going 7-3 over the past three seasons, and having won 18 of the last 21 going back a few more years. All three losses have come in Brookings, so that's a positive as well considering this game is obviously on a neutral court.

I'm not making any predictions, but the biggest keys in my opinion will be:

1. Stay out of foul trouble. Both SDSU and NDSU have had a tendency to get the Sioux into foul difficulty, and obviously UND doesn't have much depth so it will be critical to keep the starters on the court as much as possible.

2. Keep the turnovers to a reasonable number. In two of the three losses UND has had to SDSU in the past two years, a big reason has been committing more than 20 turnovers.

3. Rebound. It's not even necessary to actually win the battle of the boards, but UND can't be badly out-rebounded and expect to win. Ironically, the one loss this year came despite out-rebounding SDSU, whereas in the two wins the Sioux were actually out-rebounded.

The only thing I would add to that list is the women should hit or bump SDSU back when they get bumped. So much was made last year and early this year of how physical of a team SDSU is, how they win by out-physicalling teams and then intimidation becomes a factor. In the game at Hyslop earlier this year the UND women proved that when you hit them back SDSU will back off and go hide in the corner, and in embaressing fashion. It sounds kind of corney to say about a women's game, but the Sioux have to beat SDSU right back when SDSU attempts to do so.

Did anyone ask Amy Ruley if this game counted as a "meaningful" game?:);)

Donnie Lucia and Amy Ruley would make a good couple. One doesn't consider the regular season as meaningful and the other doesn't consider the post season as meaningful. :glare: