SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

Its kinda hard for you to say that SDSU hasn't been good in football for forty years. If they are "not good" and the Sioux beat us by one point on the luckiest play i have ever seen (honest) after a blatent penalty on the previous touchdown (even the sioux fans where i was sitting admitted it) than what does it say about your team. I know you guys went on to big things but come on.

It is laughable that it is disagreed with that SDSU hasn't been good in football for 40 years. From 1964-2003, they have been above .500 20 times, with 8 of them being by 1 game, and have been to the playoffs a whopping 1 time, that being a one-and-done in '79. If that isn't not good I really don't know what is. Justifying SDSU being good by giving the example of this years game proves nothing. I've said it a million times, close doesn't count for anything and a wins a wins a wins a win. Moral victories are worthless in sports. If your logic carried any weight, the UND men were pretty good this year, losing to SDSU, a regional semifinalist, 3 times in very close games, and no one will claim that. History has spoken and refuted your claims.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overqualified is more like it!

actually johnston would be taking about a 30,000$ pay cut... i think the jobs stromme's if he wants it... i think he'll take (even with the baggage... not that i know what it is cuz i didn't go to mankato)... he's a family man and he wants to spend more time with his family.. he's a great guy and he's one of those people who can make it work...

From the Star-Tribune:

Any comments, doclenz?

"I'm not looking at any Division II jobs at all," Johnston said. "I never applied for the Mankato job. I wouldn't apply for the Omaha job. I'm excited about being a Division I coach, to be honest with you. For me right now, looking at another Division II job would be a step backwards."

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Tuesdayfeature.shtml

"I'm not looking at any Division II jobs at all," Johnston said. "I never applied for the Mankato job. I wouldn't apply for the Omaha job.  I'm excited about being a Division I coach, to be honest with you. For me right now, looking at another Division II job would be a step backwards."

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Tuesdayfeature.shtml

What is the world coming to when you can't believe a good internet rumor anymore? :lol:

Jacks bow out of Elite Eight, 96-79

The #3 team stomps SDSU with a 20-2 run in second half. Jacks had 27 turn overs. Sounds like Sioux kind of game. Where was that tough SDSU defense? California PA shot 74% in second half. SDSU did outrebound them, which is a surprise since Cal, PA leads the nation in rebound margin, outrebounding their oponents by 12 per game!

They must be a legit team. No title for NCC this year. :lol:

Check out this headline from Sioux Falls Argus Leader.... I think it sums up what SDSU is going through.... All thought I am not sure 1 NC is a reign. If it is, it is a very short one, at least they got 1.

End of their reign

Chris Solari

csolari@argusleader.com

published: 3/25/2004

Defending champion Jackrabbits fall in opener

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. - It's all over.

No more Elite Eights. No more Division II.

No back-to-back national titles.

See ya!!!!

Does anyone know if Coach Roebuck has brought in any potential recruits for visits this spring? I know he doesn't have much scholarship $ available but curious if anyone other than Beck will be announced next week.

As others have noted, I have a concern about our lack of size/experience in the middle next year.

Does anyone know if Coach Roebuck has brought in any potential recruits for visits this spring?  I know he doesn't have much scholarship $ available but curious if anyone other than Beck will be announced next week. 

As others have noted, I have a concern about our lack of size/experience in the middle next year.

Based upon the fact that Boese, Mahlum, Jahner, Hausauer, Maffin, Glynn and Glick return, that there were three red-shirts this year (Draayer, Sannes and Werdell), one medical red-shirt (Elias) and that there were two early signees (Langen and Guinn), plus presumably Beck, I am doubting that anyone else will be signing next week, but that's only a guess on my part.

With at least two very talented local players who will be seniors next year (Kimbrough--probably a longshot, I know--and Baageson), and only Hausauer being a senior next year, I hope that at least a couple of scholarships are available for next year's class.

• 2 weeks later...

Karla Beck has officially signed with UND according to www.fightingsioux.com. What is interesting is that she was named the North Dakota Gatorade player of the year, and yet was not one of the Ms. Basketball finalists! I'm not sure how that's possible. In any event, she is a heck of an athlete and could very well turn out to be a very good player even though she was apparently not all that heavily recruited by too many other dII programs.

Karla Beck has officially signed with UND according to www.fightingsioux.com. What is interesting is that she was named the North Dakota Gatorade player of the year, and yet was not one of the Ms. Basketball finalists! I'm not sure how that's possible. In any event, she is a heck of an athlete and could very well turn out to be a very good player even though she was apparently not all that heavily recruited by too many other dII programs.

If I recall, I think the coaches usually nominate and vote on the Gatorade player of the year, at least that is how it was in the past. If you look at the past winners of that award, compared to both the Mr. and Ms. Basketball winners, you will see they are different a lot of the times.

If I recall, I think the coaches usually nominate and vote on the Gatorade player of the year, at least that is how it was in the past. If you look at the past winners of that award, compared to both the Mr. and Ms. Basketball winners, you will see they are different a lot of the times.

If I recall, I think the coaches usually nominate and vote on the Gatorade player of the year, at least that is how it was in the past.  If you look at the past winners of that award, compared to both the Mr. and Ms. Basketball winners, you will see they are different a lot of the times.

You are correct that it's not unusual for there to be different winners for Ms./Mr. Basketball and the Gatorade player of the year. What surprises me is that one group (Gatorade/the coaches?) picked Beck as the top female high school basketball player in the state, and another group (the media) believed that there were at least four girls who were better than Beck. I'm not saying that Beck necessarily SHOULD have won Ms. Basketball--although I believe she was as deserving as anyone--but for her not to have been one of the four finalists was kind of a joke.

?????? The thing about Coach Roebuck is he has a pretty new staff and whoever is in charge of recruiting seems to done a okay job(i think it is brewster), but those kids are untested-is roebuck giving those kids a chance becasue the recruiter seems to get after it well it looks that way- is the recruiter any good or just filling time for something better like the other assistant who left - I love my Sioux sports and I don't want to see what happend to the Bison happend to us. I am in the cities for business a lot before i go back out west and I catch a game or two of high school- there are some good kids down there still

• 4 months later...

This is going to be an extremely young team. Assuming Beck red-shirts, 8 of the 12 available players will be freshmen or sophomores. It will be interesting to see who steps up to be the second and third scoring options behind Boese. Judging by her high school credentials, I have a feeling Guinn may be an immediate impact player.

The spat had nothing to do with Glick's knee injury, in fact she is still rehabbing it in UND facilities.

The team will be very young and IMO Megan Glynn will need to be the one that steps up the most followed closely by Carissa Jahner. Megan is a tall girl, but has trouble scoring. Jahner on the other hand, can shoot, but she needs to be able to handle the #2 guard position with assuming Mahlum at point. It will be interesting to see how things pan out, especially if teams start doubling Boese, who will step up?