SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

Not sure about anyone else, but maybe I was am guilty of wishful thinking in all but expecting UND to move to #1 and host the regional. I looked at CSP's schedule, and there are quite a few games that were very close against teams with .500 records. Moorhead St played them close 3 times, they beat UW-Parkside in a close one, Northern St beat them and they are a .500 team, they beat East Central U whoever they are by 1 in OT, beat UMC in a close one, beat Duluth close 1X and lost to them another, and lost to St Cloud, a team which proved it couldn't play anywhere near where the Sioux are. While playing someone close doesn't mean anthing to me, repeatedly almost doing so against average teams gives an indication of CSP's level of play. To me, this blows away 2 yars ago having to go to Metro for the regional, because this year the NCC has 4 legit national contenders in UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD, with St. Cloud beating some good teams as well. The NCC is almost being penalized for being so strong on the women's side, having several teams who can legitamently compete night in and out.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about anyone else, but maybe I was am guilty of wishful thinking in all but expecting UND to move to #1 and host the regional. I looked at CSP's schedule, and there are quite a few games that were very close against teams with .500 records. Moorhead St played them close 3 times, they beat UW-Parkside in a close one, Northern St beat them and they are a .500 team, they beat East Central U whoever they are by 1 in OT, beat UMC in a close one, beat Duluth close 1X and lost to them another, and lost to St Cloud, a team which proved it couldn't play anywhere near where the Sioux are. While playing someone close doesn't mean anthing to me, repeatedly almost doing so against average teams gives an indication of CSP's level of play. To me, this blows away 2 yars ago having to go to Metro for the regional, because this year the NCC has 4 legit national contenders in UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD, with St. Cloud beating some good teams as well. The NCC is almost being penalized for being so strong on the women's side, having several teams who can legitamently compete night in and out.

I was hoping, but not expecting. I think Concordia is a total fraud right now. Maybe they would have had a shot at winning the regional at full strength--a longshot but a shot nonetheless--but I see them having no shot now. SDSU has almost a bye into the final despite being a number four seed. They crushed Kearney earlier this year, and I see them having no problem whatsoever against either UMD or Concordia. Concordia somehow managed to finagle three home games out of their four games against NCC opponents, and took advantage of it for the most part, although I would dare say that their wins over both NDSU and SDSU were more or less flukes. In a rematch, I'd look for a 20-plus margin of victory for any of the NCC teams against them.

I just hope that the regional committee membership changes next year. I believe this has been the exact same committee for at least the last three years. I realize that members are supposed to recuse themselves when discussion of their own teams comes up, but does anyone believe that it's a coincidence that Mesa St. and Concordia have had reps on the committee the past three years?

Bitch all we want about CSP getting #1 bid, but going to a neutral floor is better than going to NDSU or SDSU! I was amazed that UND moved up 2 spots after winning the NCC Tourn for the 4th straight time. Last year, same win (At SDSU) but no move. Seems like it works in favor of the regional committee to look at our Tourney anyway they want just to keep the ND schools (and maybe NCC) out of Elite 8. Look where the defending NCAA champs ended up - with a cake walk to regional finals. Looks like Ruleys comments on importance of the NCC tourney bit her in the ass. Now they have go through 3 NCC schools to make it to Elite 8! (If all win, which I predict they will)

This was in the Star-Tribune today:

KIERAH KIMBROUGH/BADGER-GREENBUSH-MIDDLE RIVER, JUNIOR, GIRLS' BASKETBALL Kimbrough broke the single-season scoring record held by Janet Karvonen, who had 845 points in the 1980 season. The 6-2 junior has 852 points on the season and 1,990 in her career after only 82 games. "She is the complete package -- quick, coordinated and agile," Gators coach Tom Neibauer said. She broke Karvonen's mark with a 38-point performance in a 61-50 victory over Norman County West. Kimbrough went 16 of 21 from the floor and six of six from the free throw line against the Panthers' box-and-one defense. "I don't know what it would be like if she was played straight up," Neibauer said. Kimbrough, who is averaging 31.6 points and 12 rebounds per game, finished second in the 100-meter hurdles in the Class A state track meet last year. She is being recruited by Division I schools.

I guess we'd better hope she wants to stay close to home for college. A 6'2" girl athletic enough to be second in the hurdles at the state track meet AND be the all-time single-season scoring leader for MN is extremely impressive.

This was in the Star-Tribune today:

I guess we'd better hope she wants to stay close to home for college. A 6'2" girl athletic enough to be second in the hurdles at the state track meet AND be the all-time single-season scoring leader for MN is extremely impressive.

Good match-up tonight at the college in thief river fall. 6:30pm it's climax-fisher(brenda slyt) vs Kittson-central(langen). 8:00pm Sacred Heart(sonstile) vs Badger-Greenbush(kimbrough).

Langen looked very tough last night getting 27 points and around 15 boards. Slyt really struggled scoring 16 (0 in 1st half) many at the end of the game in a rout. K-C 73 - C-F 50.

Sonstelie took over at the end in impressive style scoring 15 in the 4th, ending with 21. Sacred Heart won 43-40. Kimbrough scored 23 very tough points as she was double and triple teamed. She was impressive. When she got the ball inside she usually scored with a couple of big time moves. UND coaches were on hand. Kimbrough, a junior went over the 2,000 point mark last night, tough!

Langen looked very tough last night getting 27 points and around 15 boards.  Slyt really struggled scoring 16 (0 in 1st half) many at the end of the game in a rout.  K-C 73 - C-F 50.

Do you think Langen will be ready to contribute as a true freshman next year?

Langen does have great hands, like glue, and keeps the ball up high when rebounding. She has the physical build to play right away but probrably just a few minutes. Sounds like she will be a banger who can give some girls a rest for the first year or so. Foot speed needs to improve. Also, only looks to shoot if she is in the low block,very low block. Just my opinion. Kimbrough on the other hand, well it would be a steal.

Having seen both Langen and Kimbrough play while reffing them, I agree that Langen has great hands. She is however, not very quick up and down the court. Right now it isn't hurting her because she is playing in NW MN, but when it comes to the NCC I don't think that she will be able to keep up right away.

Kimbrough, on the other hand, it arguably the most athletic girls player in the state. Assuming she's healthy all year next year I think that Megan Taylor's scoring record will not stand. She will probably go D-1, but we can hope that she comes here. It will be tough to get her.

P.S. I had a EGFSH vs. BGMR game earlier in the year with Sonstelie and Kimbrough and BGMR was the winner of that one for two reasons....A: Kimbrough had 37 in that game, because B: Sonstelie was in foul trouble. It was a battle in the middle with those two, but Sonstelie didn't impress me. Good thing she is going to that "other" school.

I can't help but wonder which front court players, aside from Boese, are going to be able to provide scoring next season. Judging by what Roebuck said on the coaches' show a few weeks ago, it sounds like there's a decent chance Glick won't be able to play next year due to the severity of her knee injury. Hausauer does certain things well, but she's not a scorer. Glynn has actually shown an ability to score a little bit, albeit in limited minutes and generally not against the other team's starters, but struggles defensively and isn't very strong. That leaves current red-shirts Draayer and Sannes, neither of whom I've ever seen play, and Langen. I suppose Guinn could also play the 3 since she's 5'10". Boese could be an All-American next year, but somebody is going to have to step up so that not all of the pressure falls on her to score.

all good points.....Draayer is a very physical player, Sannes could help but needs some work, i believe the staff is looking to Langen to come in and play right away and yes Glick will miss the whole season next year, coach wants her to medical hardship next year. Not sure she wants to though, she messed her knee up fairly badly and surgery will be late....UND will not have any competition in the NCC next year though....UND will walk thru the conference...

guinn could be a steal as she is currently second in scoring 21 points and about fifth in assists with 5 per game in girls 4A. Too bad her team St. Francis got beat by centennial 61- 60 the other night. Would have been fun seeing her at the state tourney.

From this report, looks like Kierah Kimbrough is getting attention from Kansas St, Col St, Iowa St, and Northwestern, among others. For her to exceed Janet Karvonen's single season scoring record is quite an accomplishment.

In North Dakota, the girls senior class in Class A is weaker than normal in talent. Do any of the following underclass gals have upper Div II/low Div I potential?

Alys Seay, 5-6, So., G (12.4 points, 5.9 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 3.7 steals) GFCentral

Tonia Williams, 5-11, 8th, F (4.9 points, 2.8 rebounds). GFCentral

Katelyn Steffan, 6-4, Fr., C (11 points, 6.6 rebounds);Dickinson

Jessica Kielpinski, 6-1, Fr., C (9.6 points, 7.4 rebounds) Mandan

Rebecca Kielpinski, 6-1, Jr., C (14.9 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.0 blocks) Mandan

Andrea Hummel, 5-11, So., C (12.3 points, 5.3 rebounds) West Fargo

Mary-Michael Vance, 5-5, Fr., G (8.2 points, 2.1 rebounds, 2.6 assists) West Fargo

In Class A boys, it would seem Josiah Thunshelle would be a DII prospect among underclassmen. Anyone else?

Josiah Thunshelle, 6-4, Jr., F (18.1 points, 5.5 rebounds). Bismarck

where do i start? went to the game, and i must say that is the worst D2 facility i have seen. i cannot believe they allowed them to host a regional. it was the atmosphere of a jv girls HS game.

about the game itself, UND played flat the whole game with little to no intensity. no rebounding on offense or defense, and too many missed "gimme's" down low. played pretty well defensively otherwise, and forced quite a few turnovers. UND was up by 7 with 1:43 left and they were shooting a 1 and 1. all that being said, i believe they were 0-3 at the line after that, and CSP had a VERY good look for a game-winning 3 at the buzzer. UND is very lucky. very poor game management by the players at the end of the game. they had better use this game as a wakeup call for themselves, because if they play like that tomorrow, ndsu will steamroll them. another thing, officiating was terrible for both teams. lookin forward to the game tomorrow.

GO SIOUX!!!!

Actually, the UND women's team has a similar problem to what the men had--not enough outside shooting and too few consistent scorers. At least the men had three guys who generally would score in double figures, whereas the women have just two. Lately Mahlum seems to either score in double figures, or else she doesn't score at all. Perrizo and Demaine have struggled their entire careers with poor field goal percentages. When the UND women are running and shooting a decent percentage, they're very difficult to beat. But in the handful of games each of the past few seasons where they shoot 30-35%, as has unfortunately happened in the past three regionals (counting this game today), we aren't going to win very often. I am in no position to question Roebuck's recruiting as his success speaks for itself, but I have to admit that I'd like to see more scorers than what we have right now.