SiouxSports.com Forum

womens basketball

UND92,96

I like UND's chances tonight IF Roebuck has made an adjustment so that Lorenz and/or Froehlich can't back down Mahlum every time down the court and shoot over her from inside of 10 feet. It seemed like there was a clear-out about every other possession the last time these two teams played, and Amy is just too short to play good defense inside the paint against somebody 6 or 7 inches taller.

UND has matchup advantages of its own in that NDSU doesn't have anybody who matches up very well with Boese. Fricke and Klabo are both far too slow to guard either Boese or obviously Leighton, and I doubt very much that any of the smaller players can deal with Boese down low. It would also be nice if Perrizo can hit a few outside shots. She's been very good hitting free throws this year, but from the floor she's really struggled of late.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, great win tonight by the women. That cannot be said enough. A loss tonight would have made the regional road pretty tough, this win puts the Sioux at a minimum of the 3 seed, meaning it should be an RMAC team in the 1st round. Nothing I like better, and yes that includes NDSU in hoops, then beating SDSU in basketball. It was a gutsy effort, and you have to say that our chances tommorrow night are better then average. The old addage of beating a team 3 times comes into play, and the 2 previous have been by a hair. It is great to see Mahlum hitting her shots again, she had struggled a bit down the stretch and hopefully can provide the same tommorrow night. Where is Jackguy, he seems quiet despite his "we'll see on a neutral court" talk. Hopefully the Sioux can bring a good contingent to Fargo.

the 4th seed wouldn't be bad either because that would match us up with con.-st.paul in the semi's then with a win play for the region title without the home crowdcheering. We would have a great crowd there for the title game.

Congrats to the Sioux women, NCC tournament champs. This sets up for an interesting scenario for the regional selection tommorrow. How much weight will be put on winning the conference tourney? UND should move ahead of SDSU at the very least, I'd be suprised if they aren't #2, and if CSP would cooperate..... well maybe not.

Congrats to the Sioux women, NCC tournament champs.  This sets up for an interesting scenario for the regional selection tommorrow.  How much weight will be put on winning the conference tourney?  UND should move ahead of SDSU at the very least, I'd be suprised if they aren't #2, and if CSP would cooperate..... well maybe not.

If the committee actually follows the criteria set out by the NCAA--and I personally doubt that they will based upon recent history--it would appear that the Sioux have made a pretty good argument for the number two seed. Here is how the criteria shake out as between UND and NDSU according to my very unofficial compilations:

1. overall won-loss UND 25-5 NDSU 24-6

advantage: UND

2. head-to-head UND 1-2 NDSU 2-1

advantage: NDSU

3. records vs. common opponents UND 15-2 NDSU 13-4

4. won-loss within region UND 19-4 NDSU 18-6

5. overall strength of schedule UND 10.53 NDSU 10.77

advantage: NDSU

6. within region s.o.s. UND 11.04 NDSU 10.50

7. availability of student athletes--not applicable

So it appears that UND has the advantage in four of the six applicable criteria, which are to be considered in no particular order of relevance. But the regional committee has already shown in the past two years to not have any particular fondness for UND as the Sioux were basically robbed of the right to host two years ago in favor of Mesa St., and last year we had a four to one advantage in the criteria, with one tie, compared to NDSU, but were still seeded lower. I wouldn't be surprised if UND is seeded as low as fourth. But the most important thing is that the site will be a neutral floor for the NCC teams. I don't believe Concordia would have finished higher than 5th in the NCC, so I would be shocked if they actually win the tournament despite hosting. UND should have confidence after finally showing that they can beat good teams away from Hyslop. I believe the twin cities is probably the most beneficial site for UND other than Hyslop as there should be a very nice UND contingent there--quite possibly more than even Concordia will have.

I know a lot of NDSU fans accuse Gene Roebuck of basically being a jerk. Well, this quote, which appeared in both the Forum and Herald, is an example of why many UND fans feel the exact same way about Amy Ruley:

We’ve never said we wanted to be conference tournament champions. Next week is different. That’s been our goal the whole year. We’ll be ready for that.

I think most of us agree that it's stupid that the NCC even has a post-season tournament for women. Thus far, I don't believe it's gotten any team into the tournament who wouldn't have gotten in anyway. But to basically say that "we didn't care anyway" after a loss is an example of not knowing when to keep your mouth shut. If NDSU truly didn't care about winning a game with their arch-rival, they should have just forfeited and saved 3300 fans some money.

If the committee actually follows the criteria set out by the NCAA--and I personally doubt that they will based upon recent history--it would appear that the Sioux have made a pretty good argument for the number two seed.  Here is how the criteria shake out as between UND and NDSU according to my very unofficial compilations:

1. overall won-loss      UND  25-5                NDSU  24-6

advantage:  UND

2. head-to-head            UND  1-2                NDSU  2-1

advantage:  NDSU

3. records vs. common opponents      UND  15-2      NDSU  13-4

4. won-loss within region    UND  19-4            NDSU  18-6

5. overall strength of schedule        UND  10.53      NDSU  10.77

advantage:  NDSU

6. within region s.o.s.      UND    11.04              NDSU  10.50

7. availability of student athletes--not applicable

So it appears that UND has the advantage in four of the six applicable criteria, which are to be considered in no particular order of relevance.  But the regional committee has already shown in the past two years to not have any particular fondness for UND as the Sioux were basically robbed of the right to host two years ago in favor of Mesa St., and last year we had a four to one advantage in the criteria, with one tie, compared to NDSU, but were still seeded lower.  I wouldn't be surprised if UND is seeded as low as fourth.  But the most important thing is that the site will be a neutral floor for the NCC teams.  I don't believe Concordia would have finished higher than 5th in the NCC, so I would be shocked if they actually win the tournament despite hosting.  UND should have confidence after finally showing that they can beat good teams away from Hyslop.  I believe the twin cities is probably the most beneficial site for UND other than Hyslop as there should be a very nice UND contingent there--quite possibly more than even Concordia will have.

Congrats to UND for the NCC Tourney title.

My question is why would she ever devalue (is that a word?), put less emphasis on a game to her team and the media, especially on with big regional implications? That seems to go against the practice of every person who has ever coached in the history of sport. Or is it a cop-out for a loss, like Nagy saying SDSU played terrible and UND played really well the other day.

About Nagy saying that SDSU played terrible the other day, I think that was pretty true. Schantz and moeller both played terrible, I think I even remember someone talking about how schantz's shooting percentage against usd was "brutal", and it definitely didn't get any better against UND. If jones hadn't be available to post a double-double, SDSU would have lost that game. I think that it could be said that UND did play well, just from the fact that they stayed in the game (and took a lead) even though the two highest scorers on the team were in foul trouble, and couldn't contribute as much as usual.

I also don't think its fair to compare nagy to Ruley, since ruley was trying to devalue a loss, while nagy was saying that his team was bad even after a win. I don't think he was trying to insult UND, he was just saying that sdsu wasn't playing up to their potential over the game.

About Nagy saying that SDSU played terrible the other day, I think that was pretty true. Schantz and moeller both played terrible, I think I even remember someone talking about how schantz's shooting percentage against usd was "brutal", and it definitely didn't get any better against UND. If jones hadn't be available to post a double-double, SDSU would have lost that game. I think that it could be said that UND did play well, just from the fact that they stayed in the game (and took a lead) even though the two highest scorers on the team were in foul trouble, and couldn't contribute as much as usual.

Look at the game stats. UND had more turnovers, shot a lower %, and was outrebounded by 7. Those are not the vital signs of a team playing well (UND) against a team that played terrible (SDSU).

So, basically the only way that UND could have had a good game and SDSU had a bad would be if UND won and SDSU lost? The terms good and bad game are relative. I think its possible for a team to play well for their circumstances (UND with all of their injuries this year) and still come out of the game with a loss. I think that UND had decent game, even though their percentages were lower, because the two best players on their team were out with fouls, and they still stayed in the game.

WOW!!! Could Hyslop have a 1 last hurrah and host the regional?? The regional plot thinckens.

Even if Concordia does, as expected, host the regional, they are about as vulnerable of a 27-3, number one seed as you can get. They lost their second-leading scorer in the conference semi's with an a.c.l. injury, and prior to their loss today they managed to beat a pretty mediocre Moorhead team by just three points (at Concordia) yesterday. If ever that criteria regarding availability of student-athletes was going to come into play, this would be an example of how it could since losing your second-leading scorer is a pretty big blow at this time of year. In the end, though, Concordia's overall record and their early-season wins over NDSU and SDSU will most likely get them the number one seed. I still look for them to go out early--maybe even in the first round.

Would the regional committee now look at Concordia in the same light they had looked at Northern Sun football teams, as inferior? I doubt it because of thier early season wins over NDSU and SDSU, but it has to be a valid point, especially now with one of their top players out. Also, the CSP gym is extremely new, but lacking severely in quality and seating, it might seat 2000. I was there twice in November, the same time the NDSU basketball team was there and playing at the tourney at CSP. I talked to one of the NDSU players I know, and she said playing on the court is brutal, not to mention the atmosphere. Will the committee look at the much, much larger gate they would get at UND or NDSU and play the money angle that was made easier for them to do since CSP lost. That wouldn't suprise me, it is the NCAA and they love they cash.

Would the regional committee now look at Concordia in the same light they had looked at Northern Sun football teams, as inferior? I doubt it because of thier early season wins over NDSU and SDSU, but it has to be a valid point, especially now with one of their top players out. Also, the CSP gym is extremely new, but lacking severely in quality and seating, it might seat 2000. I was there twice in November, the same time the NDSU basketball team was there and playing at the tourney at CSP. I talked to one of the NDSU players I know, and she said playing on the court is brutal, not to mention the atmosphere. Will the committee look at the much, much larger gate they would get at UND or NDSU and play the money angle that was made easier for them to do since CSP lost. That wouldn't suprise me, it is the NCAA and they love they cash.

According to the Concordia web page, their arena seats just 1200! With all the UND grads in the cities, plus all the NDSU and SDSU people who I assume would go, there is no way that this tournament should be in an arena that small. There will probably be a lot of people turned away at the door if UND, NDSU and SDSU all make the semi's. But my faith in the regional committee went out the window two years ago when Mesa St. was awarded the right to host with a gym that makes Concordia's look like a palace by comparison, not to mention the complete lack of success enjoyed by the RMAC over the years. It was political correctness run amuck. Hey, let's let everybody have a turn hosting! I'm sure there's going to be some very interesting conversations going on today and tonight by the committee members, but I have very little confidence in the tournament being anywhere else but Concordia despite not having an adequate facility with which to host.

UND 92,96

That's the "inclusive" nature of DII.  ???

That's probably part of it, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks there's some kind of unspoken agreement between the RMAC and NSIC committee reps to award the top-ranked team between those two leagues the right to host if it can possibly be justified. Two years ago, it was as if we were supposed to conveniently forget that the NCC has won this tournament every single year since its inception.

I think everybody who knows anything about dII women's basketball in this region knows that if Concordia had to travel to Grand Forks, Fargo, Brookings, Vermillion, etc., they would have at least four more losses, and quite possibly five or six more losses. I think it's insulting everybody's intelligence to act like a 27-3 team from the NSIC or RMAC is somehow better than NCC teams with a few more losses but who are playing a far more challenging schedule. Unfortunately, the waters were muddied somewhat by Concordia winning early-season home games against NDSU and SDSU (along with a loss to the 5th-place team from the NCC St. Cloud St.)

Just as the committee had egg on its face when Mesa promptly lost two years ago, I look for the same thing to happen this time around. Duluth is the only NSIC team who has shown anything over the years, and they've never hosted. Why should a janie-come-lately like Concordia be rewarded when they haven't accomplished anything as of yet?

Although the Concordia web page lists the capacity of its arena as being 1200, the announced attendance at the NSIC title game was 2199, so apparently it can hold a few more than previously thought. I still think it's irresponsible to hold this tournament in a facility that can't even hold as many people as at least three of the NCC schools in the tournament AVERAGED on the year. There should be a minimum capacity of 3000 or 4000 in order to host, and if you haven't even managed to average 1000 people per game on the year, then don't bother bidding. Concordia averaged under 700 on the year, and hadn't had a crowd of 1000 until the NSIC semi-finals.

I find it disingenuous that money plays a huge factor in being the impetus behind strict regionalization for football and basketball, yet when it comes to potential for revenue-generating in the playoffs, money is apparently meaningless.