SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

The pizza in VC is pretty good, but what's that have to do with UND's next football coach?

And with that I'm off to bed because I have a job to go to in the morning and a life beyond being the profanity police here.

Good, now I can cuss up a storm with nobody to scold me!

Dude you are clueless, I worked with some of these guys and yes they may get a few perks and most college coaches do as well, but they don't get a house or car. The UND coaches got a lease of a car, and that isn't unusual. It is funny how the myth of what goes on in TX football grows and the people that propagate it don't actually have a clue. Kid of like most poster on this board in regard to actual football and coaching football. My personal experience doesn't trump your make believe world, <removed> clown.

So putting an F is the same as typing the word?

I can tell you flat out that isn't true because all coaches must have a full time position at the school in which they coach! Bruce Matthews had to work as the resident sub, or every day sub in order to Coach Jake and quit because he didn't like the headaches of subbing. So, I hate to tell you this but you booster friend is full or it. Most Head coaches are Coordinators for the school which limits how much they teach but is usually replaced by other administrative duties.

Gary Joseph at Katy High School is the top of the top in TX HS football and makes very good money but no house or car is given to him. He could possibly get the use of a house or car but all it would be is essentially free rent or lease. But when he leaves or is fired they are not his property.

So that is not free housing and transportation for a high school coach? You just contradicted yourself.

I think what is frustrating people, myself included, is the speculation that it's Bubba or DoBoer AND the process that has taken place to come up with those 2. National search?? Faison's vast network of connections?? If its either one of these 2 so be it...doesn't get me excited but if it is this decision could have been made much earlier without the HR debacle of a points system and having a special "9" and all these interviews. These 2 are and have been in UND's backyard for years...pull the trigger. If it's not one of those 2....disregard this ramble.

• Upvote 1

This system of hiring sounds very much like federal govt hiring, and there is no common sense to the process. Everyone who can make the best qualified list must get interviewed. Those who apply for federal jobs have learned to game the system. so that they make that list. They must respond to a series of questions related to knowledge, skills, and abilities specific to the job. If you don't check "expert" for each one of those questions, you don't make the list. Doesn't matter if you know nothing about the skill, the selector must sort that out by looking at the applications and doing the interview to eliminate those they believe lied in the application. It is a ridiculous, time consuming selection process. But that is how the "point system" gets used by HR, they are merely a go between.

I think what frustrating people, myself included, is the speculation that it's Bubba or DoBoer AND the process that has taken place to come up with those 2. National search?? Faison's vast network of connections?? If its either one of these 2 so be it...doesn't get me excited but if it is this decision could have been made much earlier without the HR debacle of a points system and having a special "9" and all these interviews. These 2 are and have been in UND's backyard for years...pull the trigger. If it's not one of those 2....disregard this ramble.

But the decision couldn't have been made any earlier. Neither of those guys are currently employed by UND . Doesn't matter if they've been in the back yard, the job still had to be posted for however many days, and the apps have to go through the HR department.

But the decision couldn't have been made any earlier. Neither of those guys are currently employed by UND . Doesn't matter if they've been in the back yard, the job still had to be posted for however many days, and the apps have to go through the HR department.

I'll call BS on that. So with all you HR wizards...what was/is the earliest Faison could have possibly made a hire? And what is "however many days"? Surely one of you has this answer?? So if a hire is made this Friday like some think...is THAT day the earliest Faison could have possibly have pulled the trigger?

Again UND goes thru this whole "process" to come up with a coin flip between Bubba and DoBoer as to who is the next HC?

• Upvote 1

Talking to people who played under Bubba, they say he's awesome. Talked to a couple who recruited him and they didn't think it was very awkward (like was brought up earlier). They say he'll gets you jacked up. I liked Pflu, but that doesn't appear to be happening. I think Bubba has the best chance to bring in a solid staff despite people thinking he's a different version of Lennon. Which, btw, I would love. I don't know why Lennon's name is being used in a negative connotation here, he's still the only championship coach in UND football history, so I'd love to have Lennon 2.0. I understand if you are afraid of Mussman 1.2 or 2.0 or Mussman Vista, but I think that's pretty unfair.

All three are different coaches with significantly different personalities. Mussman's was beat to death over the past season, so I'll let that lie. Lennon commanded respect calmly. People I know who played who him would just keep using the word awesome, and the phrase "you didn't want to let him down" was repeated. Like I said earlier Bubba is the most animated of the three.

All different, but make the easy connections if you want pretending they are just a re-run of each other. I mean, Mussman was exactly like Lennon, so it all makes perfect sense.

Bubba is like 4th on my list of preferences but for some reason I feel the need to defend him.

Bubba took over a decent DII team that played in a crap DII conference. When he took over they moved to the best DII conference in the land. He took them to the playoffs and was named Coach of the Year in the nation's best DII conference. He laid the ground work for two DII national championships at UM-Duluth. He steered some of the best defenses that DII had ever seen while at UND (yes, even better than Lennon's). It is not like he has tanked at SIU. They've always been in the upper half if not top 3 of MVC defense there.

He's just got a good resume IMO.

If Bubba coached Duluth to success in the old NCC, that would impress me. Duluth had success after everyone that mattered left.

Talking to people who played under Bubba, they say he's awesome. Talked to a couple who recruited him and they didn't think it was very awkward (like was brought up earlier). They say he'll gets you jacked up. I liked Pflu, but that doesn't appear to be happening. I think Bubba has the best chance to bring in a solid staff despite people thinking he's a different version of Lennon. Which, btw, I would love. I don't know why Lennon's name is being used in a negative connotation here, he's still the only championship coach in UND football history, so I'd love to have Lennon 2.0. I understand if you are afraid of Mussman 1.2 or 2.0 or Mussman Vista, but I think that's pretty unfair.

All three are different coaches with significantly different personalities. Mussman's was beat to death over the past season, so I'll let that lie. Lennon commanded respect calmly. People I know who played who him would just keep using the word awesome, and the phrase "you didn't want to let him down" was repeated. Like I said earlier Bubba is the most animated of the three.

All different, but make the easy connections if you want pretending they are just a re-run of each other. I mean, Mussman was exactly like Lennon, so it all makes perfect sense.

Great post. To tie this to Oxbow's thought on timing, which I agree with..............Faison could have asked anyone who was around when Bubba was here and probably asked anyone at Duluth and the way everyone described Bubba would have been consistent. And it would have all been positive. So at least in terms of Bubba, he could have done his own work during the wait period and even if he had to narrow it down to 9, Bubba could have been named shortly after.

I have no problem with Bubba being the guy. He will be a solid head coach with a plan. The key to me is still the funding of assistant coaches and the staff he puts in place.

I do think it bears repeating that while at UMD Bubba was a) transitioning from the then-terrible NSIC to the NCC; b) was playing a very difficult schedule that Nielson never had to play against in the regular season (UND, UNO, USD, CWU); c) was probably operating at a scholarship disadvantage (not sure about this one); and d) did manage to get UMD to the playoffs in just his second year playing in the NCC. I can understand people's skepticism to some extent, but as Stiegelmeier and SDSU have shown, modest success in the NCC doesn't necessarily translate into FCS mediocrity. Stig never made the playoffs as a dII coach.

• Upvote 1