SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I am not saying anything bad about the former UND coaches, I know them all. Relax. What I am saying is he does not feel like he has to appease the masses by hiring from the UND network - what some on here refer to as the "good old boy" network. That is why I termed it that. He has been said to want to hire his own guy, his own stamp on the program that would bring in fresh blood.

Also, I am not saying he is right. Just passing along what I heard, and its reliable.

I think you are correct, he will hire the guy he thinks will be best for UND fb. My comment was your reference to the mythical " good old boy network". Who are these guys and where do I sign up?

With all due respect what a load of crap. Who are these "good old boy" guys??? I played at UND, coached a little at UND, and have been a faithful donor for many years. I know former players and former coaches. We have a network to keep each other informed when there is a former player or family in need. We get together once per year to play golf in MSP. We have started and support scholarships independent of what we do as individuals. We also support UND hockey, basketball, VB, track, baseball and academics. Faison hasn't asked me or others that I know what we think. How do I join the "good old boy UND FB " network? These are ignorant comments from people who have no idea what UND athletics is about and make insulting comments because just like me the powers that be aren't going to involve us in the decision. The UND FB alumni are some of the most supportive alumni we have. I find these comments insulting and ignorance or drunk isn't an excuse.

Ira - I don't think anyone here is disparaging the fantastic network of former UND athletes or what they have accomplished (and, I'm proud to say includes family members of mine). It is one of the things that makes many of us proud to be Sioux fans. I wish the athletic department was in more contact with this group. I think what people are complaining about is a process where a "HR" committee has winnowed out what many think is the best candidate, and Bubba has apparently risen to the top of the bunch with what many of us see as a lackluster resume. The only reason he is on the radar at all is that he was at UND as a DII coordinator. I wish our program was so successful that we could seamlessly transition coaches and promote from within, but it has been a train wreck for too long. I love UND guys, but sometimes it is necessary to change direction. Our football program can't afford another 6-7 years of mediocrity. This is a crucial hire and many find UND's process bizarre at best. Sometimes I think people say "good old boys" to describe a process that is confusing and seems to happen behind closed doors by insiders. We are worried that Faison is not thinking outside of the box. There are coaches with a UND connection that would be excellent, but apparently none have applied. I don't think anyone intends this to be a slur on our fine network of alumni.

Ira - I don't think anyone here is disparaging the fantastic network of former UND athletes or what they have accomplished (and, I'm proud to say includes family members of mine). It is one of the things that makes many of us proud to be Sioux fans. I wish the athletic department was in more contact with this group. I think what people are complaining about is a process where a "HR" committee has winnowed out what many think is the best candidate, and Bubba has apparently risen to the top of the bunch with what many of us see as a lackluster resume. The only reason he is on the radar at all is that he was at UND as a DII coordinator. I wish our program was so successful that we could seamlessly transition coaches and promote from within, but it has been a train wreck for too long. I love UND guys, but sometimes it is necessary to change direction. Our football program can't afford another 6-7 years of mediocrity. This is a crucial hire and many find UND's process bizarre at best. Sometimes I think people say "good old boys" to describe a process that is confusing and seems to happen behind closed doors by insiders. We are worried that Faison is not thinking outside of the box. There are coaches with a UND connection that would be excellent, but apparently none have applied. I don't think anyone intends this to be a slur on our fine network of alumni.

Siouxjoy explained the process earlier in this thread. HR gives points to applicants based on the criteria in the posting. Faison can interview anybody he wants to but he also has to interview anybody that has a higher point total than that person. That isn't his fault.

Siouxjoy explained the process earlier in this thread. HR gives points to applicants based on the criteria in the posting. Faison can interview anybody he wants to but he also has to interview anybody that has a higher point total than that person. That isn't his fault.

Not saying it's his fault - I get the process - It still drives me nuts. By the way, Faison wrote the criteria in the posting and apparently tailored it to people who aren't applying.

Unfortunately, that is our bush-league D2 style hiring process for a FB coach. This is the same process they went through to hire Lennon back in 1999. Search committee, long length of time, etc.

Are you saying the process didn't work when we hired Lennon? I agree that the process is ugly but it did result in a good hire in that case.
  • Upvote 1

There are a number of decent candidates. Bubba is legit as a candidate. If we aren't going to pay a coach $200,000 and assistants $100,000 then we will have the same problem Mussman had trying to hire coordinators. If we are only offering $150,000 then Bubba moves up cuz a lot of these other guys can demand more. Pflugrad has some baggage but should be toward the top of the list. Tibesar wouldn't take a big salary cut to come back to fcs. Doubt he even considered. One of keys to hiring is the commitment to financing this program. How we do that will affect who would take the job. The practice facility, and salary and benefits for staff are paramount. Army's OC is interesting based on their success running ball with traditionally undersized linemen. Other than Pflugrad who has proven success, if its someone else, I think the new guy will be a surprise FBS asst who can sell himself to Faison.

......and Bubba has apparently risen to the top of the bunch with what many of us see as a lackluster resume. The only reason he is on the radar at all is that he was at UND as a DII coordinator.

I could say the the same thing for as to why Bollinger was ever on the radar. Only he was just a ball boy at UND rather than a coordinator.

Personally Bubba isn't my favorite candidate, but his resume is solid IMO.

But as far as I know, he hasn't been named coach yet, so I don't see the point in either building him up or tearing him down at this point.

I talked to a family member of Tibesar's the day after Muss was fired. He didn't know the job was open but was quick to say that Tim loves what he is doing and doubted he would be interested. It is hard to believe that Faison wouldn't have done some preliminary looking into Tibesar's interest when he posted the job. Other than rumors, we really don't know what he did or didn't do.

Better up the ante or lower the expectations...

@DomIzzoWDAY: New #NDSU HC Chris Klieman will have base salary of 261,000 with other guaranteed money (media, camps) that will reach 326,000

And if NDSU repeats 2008 and 2009 with Klieman they will eat him alive (like they did Bohl). I think money isn't the point. I think UND can give a new coach a base pay of whatever the app said (I think it was 170) but make sure the coach understands there will be a lot of incentives with certain bench marks (conference title, hosting playoffs, NC, etc). Same with assistant coaches, they should have benchmark incentives as well (shutouts, no turnovers, creating turnovers, etc). Just my two cents.

That's because the USC AD knew Sark was his top choice before he fired Kiffin. I question if Faison ever had a top choice...and if it was Tibs...really? Odds of that hire were minimal at best from the start.

If that is the case then Faison is negligent in doing his job. Every AD has a "short" list for every position they oversee. Usually they have cultivated some form of contact prior to making a coaching change. Its not like Faison decided to fire Mussman on the day he did it. Should have been working back channels. Hopefully, he did!

I don't think UND fb alumni expect someone with UND ties. We just need to get the program back on track. I'm not sure who people think the insiders are but I think Faison will do this his way and that is how it needs to be.

Far too many rumors swirling around right now to have a quality discussion. I imagine this week there might be some on-campus interviews. That should provide some more information.

I'm hoping a new coach is hired before Christmas, which would probably be a week from tomorrow (Dec. 23).

There's no question though, when compared to other universities, this process has taken far too long.

How bout Bubba as HC. Digger/Schmidt on D side w Pflu as OC. Just thinking out loud.

I like the idea, but what are the chances of getting Pflugrad for anything other than HC? Although I'm sure that as the list of schools looking for coaches begins to decline very quickly, he will become more open to other ideas.

I could say the the same thing for as to why Bollinger was ever on the radar. Only he was just a ball boy at UND rather than a coordinator.

Personally Bubba isn't my favorite candidate, but his resume is solid IMO.

But as far as I know, he hasn't been named coach yet, so I don't see the point in either building him up or tearing him down at this point.

Bollinger was on the radar cuz he is an up and coming " blue chip" coach. He has been successful where ever he has been and that will continue. Stating it was cuz he was a ball boy would not be a statement from anyone who understands something about college fb or coaching. He would have been an excellent candidate. Don't know if would have been best candidate but some guys have "it" and he is one of them. Risks because of lack of head coaching experience, but I would have been willing to put my job on the line for a guy with his ability and intelligence. He is a class act, but he isn't interested so I'm not sure why the remark. Had he applied he may not have been best candidate but he would have been a good one.

Better up the ante or lower the expectations...

@DomIzzoWDAY: New #NDSU HC Chris Klieman will have base salary of 261,000 with other guaranteed money (media, camps) that will reach 326,000

How far off are we? The job listing originally stated a base salary of $150K, then last week Faison said that they had "found" an extra $70K, raising the base salary to $220,000. UND also has camps and media avenues for the new coach to bump his salary up even further. I have to say that I expected the gap in salary to be bigger than just the $41K that it is between UND and NDSU. Also, Klieman has already been on the NDSU payroll for some time now, so that had to add to his pay.