SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Is the two-week posting requirement state law or a UND policy? I thought it was state law, which would mean NDSU's search will have to proceed along the same timeline. But I believe Taylor was quoted as saying a hire could come at any time. Anyone know if NDSU is subject to the same posting requirement?

Admittedly I didn't spend much time on it, but I tried to find the source for the alleged requirement to keep a job posting open for X number of day, and was not successful. Has anybody else found it?

Defensive Corrdinator at New Mexico not returning to team. Faison old Stomping grounds. Maybe future coach at UND? Stay Tuned

Jeff Mills. Reports say it is unclear whether he was fired or resigned. Interesting (edit - from NM, not NMSU where Faison was). No NFL or head coaching experience. Here's his coaching history.

2012-present: New Mexico (Defensive Coordinator/Secondary)

2009-11 Washington (Secondary)

2007-09 Youngstown State (Defensive Coordinator/Secondary)

2006 Idaho (Defensive Coordinator/Safeties)

2004-05 Idaho (Assistant Head Coach/Safeties)

2000-03 Nevada (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)

1999 Idaho (Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line)

1998 Idaho (Defensive Coordinator/Secondary)

1995-97 Idaho (Secondary)

1992-94 Montana State (Secondary)

1990-91 Washington (Graduate Assistant)

1989 Drake (Defensive Assistant)

1988 Western Washington (Defensive Assistant)

Not sold on him at first glance, possibly just a coincidence.

Edit: Faison's connection is with NMSU. Their DC, Dave Elson was fired. His resume is below. As others poitned out, Faison was at UND before Elson started at NMSU. Don't see him being a candidate.

Coaching Experience

Franklin-Simpson High School (2011) -Defensive Coordinator I

ndiana (2010) - Defensive Quality Control

Western Kentucky (2003-09) - Head Coach

Western Kentucky (1996-02) - Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs -

Southern Illinois (1994-95) - Graduate Assistant

I believe all ND State jobs must be posted internally for a minimum of 5 working days. If no one applys then you can post externally, I belive a minimum of 10 days, unless you call it an "Emergency" situation, then you can hire in less time.

Defensive Corrdinator at New Mexico not returning to team. Faison old Stomping grounds. Maybe future coach at UND? Stay Tuned

http://www.abqjournal.com/316008/blogs/rick-is-wright/unm-football-d-coordinator-will-not-return.html

"When a college football defense bleeds yards and points on a continuing basis and in historic fashion, someone’s likely to get cut."

http://www.abqjourna...not-return.html

"When a college football defense bleeds yards and points on a continuing basis and in historic fashion, someone’s likely to get cut."

The article you quoted was about the UNM D-Coordinator, Jeff Mills. UND92 was referring to the NM State Coordinator, Dave Elson. Just to clarify for people...

EDIT: In looking at NM State's record this year, you could say the same thing about their defense. It appears they were giving up around 45 points a game...

Ok...I was a bit confused at first. Both UNM and NM State are not returning their D-Coordinators. Faison was at NM State so one would think that if he were looking at either of them, it would be Elson. Still not impressed with either of their defenses the last few years.

The article you quoted was about the UNM D-Coordinator, Jeff Mills. UND92 was referring to the NM State Coordinator, Dave Elson. Just to clarify for people...

EDIT: In looking at NM State's record this year, you could say the same thing about their defense. It appears they were giving up around 45 points a game...

My bad.

I am not really sure what you want in a head coach, but this doesn't scream let's hire this guy. This would be grounds to look some where else.

This season, the Lobos ranked near the bottom of the NCAA Football Subdivision’s statistics in virtually every defensive category: 120th (of 123 teams) in rushing defense, 118th in scoring defense, 119th in total defense, 123rd and last in pass efficiency defense.

Mills also was UNM’s defensive-backs coach.

In all but one of those categories, UNM ranked 12th and last in the Mountain West Conference.

New Mexico finished the season with a 3-9 record, 1-7 in Mountain West play.

The only reservations I'd have is that he won't be out recruiting. I'm guessing he has signed some paperwork.....he is gone. Breaks my heart...but he is not going to be at NDSU moving forward...no matter how bad we'd pound Wyoming at this point in time.

didn't a piss poor wyo team play then a few years ago? Does this change now hurt or help UND coaching search?

I think we need to get Pflu on board ASAP! We need to take what little advantage we just got with some uncertainty at FU and start recruiting.

Couldn't agree more...I think this is a big window of opportunity for Faison to swing the ND FB momentum, even if it's just a little bit, in UND's favor.

I am thinking that he might be the best candidate unless we can get Brooks B or Tim T.

Surprised that Bubba isn't thrown out more in here, no interest? Did very well at Duluth before heading down to Carbondale with Dale. Big time Sioux guy who would work his guts out to get Sioux football back on the map. I'm torn between getting a guy with ties or getting new blood. Faison has a tough call to make and now the call just got amped up with the recent news down here.

The thing that intrigues me about Pflu is he had some success getting some FBS transfers to help fill some holes when he had them. I'm not saying you build a program that way, but with some of the talent we have at some positions, a possible transfer here or there could help accelerate this rebuild. Also, with deflections, there may be years we have to go that way as we continue to develop depth.

Still waiting to see who else applies today. Pflu would be a proven coach at this level and within our conference and I'd be happy if he is the choice. If at the end of the day there is someone better, I'm ok with that.

I believe all ND State jobs must be posted internally for a minimum of 5 working days. If no one applys then you can post externally, I belive a minimum of 10 days, unless you call it an "Emergency" situation, then you can hire in less time.

I thought there was an internal posting requirement as well. IIRC, Hakstol was hired during this internal posting period and UND didn't post externally for that position. But UND posted the football head coach position externally the day after Mussman was fired. Maybe there is an exception when there are no internal candidates remaining in the relevant department?

The external posting must be 21 days. This position was posted on November 19. I can't imagine Faison would create a posting period any longer than legally required.

It'll be interesting to see what NDSU does with respect to posting. I can't imagine Taylor wants to post for 3 weeks before being able to hire someone.