SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I feel like recruiting is the key to this rebuilding job. Even disregarding the off the field issues for a moment, what evidence is there that Pflugrad would be able to recruit well in this region? I keep using this example, but look at Lennon at SIU--a new geographical area can completely change whether a coach is perceived to be a good recruiter.

what evidence is there that BB can recruit? Perhaps we should get the coaching aspect down before starting after top-shelf FCS recruits. You can have all the top-flight FCS talent you want, but it won't be worth a damn without a good administrator.

I have always also preferred a more balanced offense. Eastern Washington is the only example I can really think of that has won a National Title with an offense predicated on chucking it around as much as possible.

Pflugrad's offenses are balanced. You could even argue they have the potential to be run heavy. Oregon's offense, despite being up-tempo, leans heavily on the run. Same goes for Montana when Pflugrad was there.

No-huddle spread option offenses are a numbers game. They are basically the ole' veer option offense but simply run out of the shotgun and at a faster pace.

Sam Houston runs a similar thing and they've been to the last two national championships, despite having the Ag school win.

Pflugrad's offenses are balanced. You could even argue they have the potential to be run heavy. Oregon's offense, despite being up-tempo, leans heavily on the run. Same goes for Montana when Pflugrad was there.

No-huddle spread option offenses are a numbers game. They are basically the ole' veer option offense but simply run out of the shotgun and at a faster pace.

Sam Houston runs a similar thing and they've been to the last two national championships, despite having the Ag school win.

If you strip football back to it's simplest form the solution is really quite simple. Dominate both side of the ball along the line and have a strong defense. NDSU is so good because they never get beaten on either side of the line. UND needs to get back to it's roots and focus on those things and success will come. I do have faith though that Faison is going to hire someone who is more than qualified for the position.

I feel like recruiting is the key to this rebuilding job. Even disregarding the off the field issues for a moment, what evidence is there that Pflugrad would be able to recruit well in this region? I keep using this example, but look at Lennon at SIU--a new geographical area can completely change whether a coach is perceived to be a good recruiter.

Apparently if you aren't from this region there is now way you can recruit it.....

Pflugrad was recruiting coordinator at Arizona State and he compiled good classes while at Montana. He would do a heckuva better job than Mussman did, I can assure that. Heck, he'd be way better than Bollinger. I really don't like the thought of a young inexperienced Bollinger getting the job. Way too much potential for him being the same thing as Mussman.

• Upvote 1

If you strip football back to it's simplest form the solution is really quite simple. Dominate both side of the ball along the line and have a strong defense. NDSU is so good because they never get beaten on either side of the line. UND needs to get back to it's roots and focus on those things and success will come. I do have faith though that Faison is going to hire someone who is more than qualified for the position.

Easier said than done. Controlling the line of scrimmage can happen through many schemes.

NDSU doesn't have some secret formula that everyone should have to follow. Vigen can shove that up his a** for all I care.

Apparently if you aren't from this region there is now way you can recruit it.....

Pflugrad was recruiting coordinator at Arizona State and he compiled good classes while at Montana. He would do a heckuva better job than Mussman did, I can assure that. Heck, he'd be way better than Bollinger. I really don't like the thought of a young inexperienced Bollinger getting the job. Way too much potential for him being the same thing as Mussman.

Not saying you have to be from this region to recruit it, but if you have no ties to it, count me as skeptical that you are going to be much of an improvement over the outgoing staff recruiting-wise. Personally I think there's almost no chance Faison even seriously considers Pflugrad, but I fully intend to support the decision regardless of who he hires. I just hope the Bollinger skeptics do the same if he is hired.

Easier said than done. Controlling the line of scrimmage can happen through many schemes.

NDSU doesn't have some secret formula that everyone should have to follow. Vigen can shove that up his a** for all I care.

I agree 100%, I have always preferred more mobile linemen myself in a zone style blocking scheme, but as long as the job is done I dont care how they do it. I just don't want someone without any experience as even a coordinator stepping in. I want someone with years of experience developing players and leading a program, this is too important to make the choice.

Not saying you have to be from this region to recruit it, but if you have no ties to it, count me as skeptical that you are going to be much of an improvement over the outgoing staff recruiting-wise. Personally I think there's almost no chance Faison even seriously considers Pflugrad, but I fully intend to support the decision regardless of who he hires. I just hope the Bollinger skeptics do the same if he is hired.

We don't need anyone with any off field baggage, especially after the VB incident, and that's what you would get with Plfugrad. I'm leaning towards Marshall myself. He understands Sky football and has some knowledge of recruiting in our area. I honestly think BB would be more of a case of name recognition rather than raw ability.

We don't need anyone with any off field baggage, especially after the VB incident, and that's what you would get with Plfugrad. I'm leaning towards Marshall myself. He understands Sky football and has some knowledge of recruiting in our area. I honestly think BB would be more of a case of name recognition rather than raw ability.

He cannot play nice in the sandbox with others. We can, and will, do better than this.

Let's be honest about Bollinger. If he's hired, it is not because he's a proven recruiter, or because he's proven his offenses can win college football games. It's because Faison has faith that he CAN prove it in the FUTURE (not too distant we hope) at UND.

If that's the direction he wants to go, I can't argue with it. He already went with the safe route (I know he didn't hire Muss but he extended him so save your breath) and that didn't work out. Taking a bit more of a risk is unlikely to be worse.

You would take a guy who's never been a head coach over a guy who has been a head coach, won the Big Sky conference, and held several FBS jobs including recruiting coordinator at Arizona State? Pflugrad doesn't have baggage, he was just scapegoated by Montana.

I don't think Pflugrad will be hired due to the incident that happened in Missoula, but there's no question he's the best candidate to have applied so far. Of course, that could change as we get closer to the deadline.

• Upvote 3

That guy can't even beat NDSU.

With all due respect, who has been able to beat NDSU the last 3 years? He did seem to do pretty well against Big Sky teams, though.

My question is why did he go from being head coach at an FCS school that he took to the playoffs twice in three years to be a Defensive Coordinator at another FCS school?

That said, he would be a great candidate if he applied, even though he doesn't have Faison's ideal background of NFL or CFL experience.

Wayne Nelson thinks the name will be released around the 20th.

And Tom Miller thinks it will be Brooks Bollinger.

We will see.

where did u read/see/hear that miller thinks it BB...btw does brooks dad still work for bemidji state and does anyone know where his wife (if he's even married i don't know) is from? gf..madison...dallas???