SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Mollberg New Starting QB

geaux_sioux

I don't think Bartes is a better option either.

What I am saying is that Joe will get an equally !@#!$ film grade as most of the rest of the offense. He gets no pass.

Why am i focusing on the offense? Go back to the preseason analysis. This defense is who we thought they were. The offense is not delivering what we all expected. Look at the first half when this was a game. The O couldn't get out of it's own way let alone make plays like last year which is what we all expected. We were expecting very little drop in offensive production, and in fact the QB play with turnovers is a big part of that.

Maybe it's on all of us for saying so often "the offense will be fine."

Good points......

I'll throw myself into those who thought the offense wouldn't miss a beat, but I was definitely wrong. Neither QB is a Manziel type freshman and they'll take their lumps and learning experiences along the way.

I'm kind of upset that I thought a Freshman QB in the big sky could have a ton of success. Thought I had more football knowledge....guess not. ???

Any QB needs a good o-line and what we saw yesterday was pathetic. Both QB's missed receivers and the two INT's were poor decisions. Even an extra second can give the QB whomever it is time to set and deliver a better ball. We gave up 5 sacks but Mollberg was hit another 10 times and seldom did he have time to progress through his reads. O line needs to look within and decide if they are willing take on the guy across the line of scrimmage and beat him man to man. If not take your ass out of the game and tell your coach you can't get the job done. If you are a lineman and can't run block you just aren't very good. Our d-line and LBs had no sacks and little pressure on their QB. Our 2 young QB's are the least of our problems right now. Our o-line needs to protect these kids and they just aren't doing it the last tow weeks. Give them time and either will be pretty good. They are only freshman and will make some mistakes but those will be exacerbated by running back sho can't break arm tackles and an o-line which yesterday wasn't much more than a speed bump.

I thought Mollberg did fine, but he throws into double coverage way too much and rather than set his feet properly even when he has plenty of times he prefers to rely on his arm strength which often results in a ball in the turf or 5 yards ocer the receivers head. He's a freshman I think he will get it. But i would have liked to have seen Bartels to start the second half. He could throw jump balls to Golladay just as easily as Mollberg can.

On one of the INT's it was just a terrible read/decision he had Miller wide open in the flat with a ton of room to run. It's a very difficult job and these things will happen but the missed throws are a problem. Mollberg seems to either be on or off and not much in between. If he misses one throw you can count on it being at least 3 or 4 in a row. At least it certainly seems that way to me.

When Mollberg took off and ran early in the game he got tripped up but in that play I saw what I wanted. He can move and run and run well when he wants, now if only some of that can be built in to the offense or better yet just take off when it's open sometimes. I would much rather him run occasionally instead of throw into coverage.

I still like both QB's but for different reasons!

On one of the INT's it was just a terrible read/decision he had Miller wide open in the flat with a ton of room to run. It's a very difficult job and these things will happen but the missed throws are a problem. Mollberg seems to either be on or off and not much in between. If he misses one throw you can count on it being at least 3 or 4 in a row. At least it certainly seems that way to me.

When Mollberg took off and ran early in the game he got tripped up but in that play I saw what I wanted. He can move and run and run well when he wants, now if only some of that can be built in to the offense or better yet just take off when it's open sometimes. I would much rather him run occasionally instead of throw into coverage.

I still like both QB's but for different reasons!

Joe needs to set his feet. If he did that he'd miss fewer throws. Only problem his the line sucked and threw everything off.

if molberg is the starter again, which he should be. he deserves as much preparation as possible to prepare for msu. Is he still spitting reps with bartels in practice this week?

Bartels will always get some first team reps. Not a lot but some. That's how Marcus Hendrickson was able to be successful last year. He had enough reps with the first team to have enough chemistry to succeed.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/274671/

Interesting comments by Muss in here. If he didn't think rotating QBs was a bad thing, why do it in the first place?

Last game it was to spark the team. The game before was because we were getting blown out so why not give him some reps. The week before was to get the offense going after the wheels fell off for Bartels. It's not like EWU was last year, which was a joke. I'm glad they're gonna stick with one guy. I hope its Joe and I hope he learns to throw something other than fastballs. Freund needs to coach him up.

If these receivers want to play in the NFL, they need to catch the ball. If they are 10 yds or more away they need to catch whatever is thrown. They also need to make sure if they don't catch the ball ,no one does. Watch the NFL QB's. They put the ball where the receiver can catch it. The good ones go get it and many are not thrown perfectly. If they can't get to it, they make sure the defenders doesn't get it. I haven't seen anything in the home games that shouldn't have been csught cuz it was thrown too fast, but your point is well taken. You also need to throw the ball with touch. Both of our QB's can throw the ball. The O-line needs to give them time. I would also try and get some roll out options and run pass options for Mollberg. He has made some Fr mistakes but he is our best chance to win and I think can become one of our all time greats. I am glad Muss has decided to go with one guy. Whomever he chooses needs to be able to play without being afraid to make a mistake. They just need to make sure if they make a mistake they learn and don't make the same mistake twice.

Defensively we may need to challenge our CB's to play man. Not sure if the secondary is understanding the coverages and if that is a problem go to man coverage and everyone should know who is responsible. Otherwise can't miss takcles and both sides need to eliminate penalties.

We win this weekend. I believe these kids and coaches have the will to win and no better time to start than now. Kids can't let coaching issue affect them, just go play. Coaches can only deal with what they have control over so worry about the pressure at the end of the season.Go Sioux.

• Upvote 1

Based off this post you are not painting the full picture of how he actually played along with the external variables. You may be pissed about the game but he's still the guy. Bartels would have been sacks 10 times today with that protection.

at this point i'm wondering who is slower...bartels or mr. swag aka joey bradley?? molberg gives us the best chance to win any game from here on out...bottom line

I’m blaming the coaching staff for the QB troubles this year. There is no reason that a program like UND should go into a season forced to start a Redshirt Freshman at the QB position. I'll put that entirely on the Muss & the coaching staff for not effectively recruiting at the QB position the past few years. Playing freshmen QBs in one of the top FCS conferences is far from ideal, I get there are exceptions (Vernon Adams - EWU, & others) but more often than not you are going to see young QBs struggle, which is what we are seeing from both Mollberg & Bartles... Inaccuracy, turnovers, misreads, etc, etc. I know we have major problems all over the team right now, but QB is the most important position on the field. In no way am I ripping on either Mollberg or Bartels, as I think both have great potential & can be great QBs here. Looking at yrs ahead, QB might be one of the least worries. They’ve just been thrown into the fire too fast. Bad OL play, lack of a running game & a porous D hasn't helped their cause any either... I'm putting it on the staff for their lack of recruiting & managing the roster that put us in the position of having 3 RFr & 1 true Fr on our roster this year. Last year, Hanson & Hendrickson helped hide a lot of the other problems on the team because of the passing game & big play ability that kept us in games (except MSU & EWU). Currently, the offense has taken a step back & we are seeing what typically happens when young, rookie QBs are asked to lead poor teams... I am not blaming these losses on the QB position, these fall on the staff & entire team. Heck, the defense is of more concern right now, hard to win any game when giving up huge yards (455 - SDSU, 609- UM, 603 - MSU) & 50+ points in 2 games. I'm just saying an experienced QB (which we don't have on the roster) might fare a little better & that falls on the coaching staff.

A look at how the staff has recruited @ QB since 2009 (since an '09 recruit would be a 5th yr Sr right now)... Unbelievable that in ’09 & ’11 at least one HS QB was not signed.

'09 - no QB brought in (unless you count Townsend, but I believe he was brought in as a WR/Athlete)

'10 - Comes & Demler brought in. Both were misses. Demler lasts 1 yr, Comes lasts 2.

'11 - no HS QB brought in. The Joey Bradley experiment starts. Epic fail. Lasts 1 yr.

'12 – Mollberg & Bartles brought in. Jake Hanson walks on. Braden Hanson transfers to UND.

'13 - Palandech & Riddle. Riddle leaves during fall camp for family reasons.

I’m blaming the coaching staff for the QB troubles this year. There is no reason that a program like UND should go into a season forced to start a Redshirt Freshman at the QB position. I'll put that entirely on the Muss & the coaching staff for not effectively recruiting at the QB position the past few years. Playing freshmen QBs in one of the top FCS conferences is far from ideal, I get there are exceptions (Vernon Adams - EWU, & others) but more often than not you are going to see young QBs struggle, which is what we are seeing from both Mollberg & Bartles... Inaccuracy, turnovers, misreads, etc, etc. I know we have major problems all over the team right now, but QB is the most important position on the field. In no way am I ripping on either Mollberg or Bartels, as I think both have great potential & can be great QBs here. Looking at yrs ahead, QB might be one of the least worries. They’ve just been thrown into the fire too fast. Bad OL play, lack of a running game & a porous D hasn't helped their cause any either... I'm putting it on the staff for their lack of recruiting & managing the roster that put us in the position of having 3 RFr & 1 true Fr on our roster this year. Last year, Hanson & Hendrickson helped hide a lot of the other problems on the team because of the passing game & big play ability that kept us in games (except MSU & EWU). Currently, the offense has taken a step back & we are seeing what typically happens when young, rookie QBs are asked to lead poor teams... I am not blaming these losses on the QB position, these fall on the staff & entire team. Heck, the defense is of more concern right now, hard to win any game when giving up huge yards (455 - SDSU, 609- UM, 603 - MSU) & 50+ points in 2 games. I'm just saying an experienced QB (which we don't have on the roster) might fare a little better & that falls on the coaching staff.

A look at how the staff has recruited @ QB since 2009 (since an '09 recruit would be a 5th yr Sr right now)... Unbelievable that in ’09 & ’11 at least one HS QB was not signed.

'09 - no QB brought in (unless you count Townsend, but I believe he was brought in as a WR/Athlete)

'10 - Comes & Demler brought in. Both were misses. Demler lasts 1 yr, Comes lasts 2.

'11 - no HS QB brought in. The Joey Bradley experiment starts. Epic fail. Lasts 1 yr.

'12 – Mollberg & Bartles brought in. Jake Hanson walks on. Braden Hanson transfers to UND.

'13 - Palandech & Riddle. Riddle leaves during fall camp for family reasons.

Freshman QBs can lead winning teams but they need to have a running game and/or a strong defense. UND has neither. If one of our QBs throws an interception, the defense doesn't bail them out because they let the opposing offense go right down the field. If we have the lead, we can't help them out cause they still have to throw all game cause we don't have a power running game. Bottom line: UND is not set up to support young QBs. If they had a running game and/or solid defense, these QBs would look much better.

I do agree though that the QB class distribution on this roster is inadequate. Not having a single junior or senior QB is certainly negative. We would have some seniors if Comes, Delmer, and/or Bradley didn't quit because Mussman is a joke and no one can stand his arrogance and incompetence. Depth chart definitely had some impact also, but you'd think one of the aforementioned three would've stuck around if they liked the way the program was being run.

Freshman QBs can lead winning teams but they need to have a running game and/or a strong defense. UND has neither. If one of our QBs throws an interception, the defense doesn't bail them out because they let the opposing offense go right down the field. If we have the lead, we can't help them out cause they still have to throw all game cause we don't have a power running game. Bottom line: UND is not set up to support young QBs. If they had a running game and/or solid defense, these QBs would look much better.

I do agree though that the QB class distribution on this roster is inadequate. Not having a single junior or senior QB is certainly negative. We would have some seniors if Comes, Delmer, and/or Bradley didn't quit because Mussman is a joke and no one can stand his arrogance and incompetence. Depth chart definitely had some impact also, but you'd think one of the aforementioned three would've stuck around if they liked the way the program was being run.

I totally agree that UND is not set-up for a young QB to be successful right now. Yes, they would probably succeed more in the role of "game manager" IF there was a power running game & a D that can get stops & turnovers. Asking a young guy to sit back & sling it 40+ times cuz we can't run it or are always behind is not putting them in a position to be successful. Asking Braden Hanson to sling it around as a 5th yr Sr was a totally different story.

I hate to use this example, but... Brock Jensen in '10. Started part of the season & won 2 playoffs games for the bisen as a RFr. Only threw for over 200 yds in 2 games. Relied on a power running game (McNorton) & a pretty good D.

I'd take a ham sandwich over Bradley. Glad he's gone. Comes didn't appear to be a leader and Demler had medical issues then transferred out.

Can't blame that type of attrition in the coaches. I do wish they had brought in a better juco qb to bridge the gap to Mollberg and Bartels but that's just me. Attrition isn't only due to a coach not being good. That's a down right childish explanation based on emotion only. NDSU had massive attrition rates that led to the massive senior class they have this year. Does that mean coach Bohl is an arrogant prick that can't coach? Nope. People leave for different reasons and sometimes it screws a program up for a couple years.

I hate to use this example, but... Brock Jensen in '10. Started part of the season & won 2 playoffs games for the bisen as a RFr. Only threw for over 200 yds in 2 games. Relied on a power running game (McNorton) & a pretty good D.

Exactly. They had way too much in their plates to succeed. I'm not sure why that was but I hope Schleusner adjusts the offense so the team can succeed.

If these receivers want to play in the NFL, they need to catch the ball. If they are 10 yds or more away they need to catch whatever is thrown. They also need to make sure if they don't catch the ball ,no one does. Watch the NFL QB's. They put the ball where the receiver can catch it. The good ones go get it and many are not thrown perfectly. If they can't get to it, they make sure the defenders doesn't get it. I haven't seen anything in the home games that shouldn't have been csught cuz it was thrown too fast, but your point is well taken. You also need to throw the ball with touch. Both of our QB's can throw the ball. The O-line needs to give them time. I would also try and get some roll out options and run pass options for Mollberg. He has made some Fr mistakes but he is our best chance to win and I think can become one of our all time greats. I am glad Muss has decided to go with one guy. Whomever he chooses needs to be able to play without being afraid to make a mistake. They just need to make sure if they make a mistake they learn and don't make the same mistake twice.

Defensively we may need to challenge our CB's to play man. Not sure if the secondary is understanding the coverages and if that is a problem go to man coverage and everyone should know who is responsible. Otherwise can't miss takcles and both sides need to eliminate penalties.

We win this weekend. I believe these kids and coaches have the will to win and no better time to start than now. Kids can't let coaching issue affect them, just go play. Coaches can only deal with what they have control over so worry about the pressure at the end of the season.Go Sioux.

The reason Joe needs to use more touch is because some throwing windows aren't straight on. He has to be able to spin it over one defender and under the safety on some throws ala Hanson. He's kinda like a young Hendrickson at this point with the rocket arm and trouble with softer touch passes. He'll improve, I just hope it's this week.

I'd take a ham sandwich over Bradley. Glad he's gone. Comes didn't appear to be a leader and Demler had medical issues then transferred out.

Can't blame that type of attrition in the coaches. I do wish they had brought in a better juco qb to bridge the gap to Mollberg and Bartels but that's just me. Attrition isn't only due to a coach not being good. That's a down right childish explanation based on emotion only. NDSU had massive attrition rates that led to the massive senior class they have this year. Does that mean coach Bohl is an arrogant prick that can't coach? Nope. People leave for different reasons and sometimes it screws a program up for a couple years.

you can't blame that attrition on the coaches? Sure you can! They hand picked those guys! If the attrition was a guy here or there over the years in different positions, then sure-it happens. To whiff repeatedly at the same position, they get the same grade they've undoubtedly been giving to so many players..."F".

you can't blame that attrition on the coaches? Sure you can! They hand picked those guys! If the attrition was a guy here or there over the years in different positions, then sure-it happens. To whiff repeatedly at the same position, they get the same grade they've undoubtedly been giving to so many players..."F".

You're vastly under rating the unknowns of recruiting.

Nice to see you have recovered from viewing the steaming pile that was Saturday's game and are back in the Muss corner.