SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2013

geaux_sioux

Lots of talk about the receiving corps, but I'm glad there has been an emphasis on running the football as well. Even with the belief that the defense will be completely different this year and much better you're not going to shut down the likes of EWU, MSU, Northern Arizona, etc. Moving the chains via the ground game and churning up some clock on scoring drives will be huge this season.

I'd like to see a stat for average time of possession the offense had last year. For this team to make the playoffs they have to possess the football for longer spurts than they did last season.

I really hope we find some sort of running game too. If only we had a guy like Chappell on this team. I am thinking/hoping Patrick Sharp is our next stud RB.

I like the stable of running backs that UND has, but would like to see a complete packaged type guy recruited in the next couple of years.

Although those guys usually end up playing in stadiums that seat six to seven times what the Alerus does. :lol:

It's hard to find that type of speed. Hardin is fast as hell but he isn't Chappell fast.

Chappell was a true D1 talent at the D2 level. Unfortunately he had community college common sense and smarts. IMO he was the biggest talent that was wasted of any UND athlete in any sport I can remember.

Lots of talk about the receiving corps, but I'm glad there has been an emphasis on running the football as well. Even with the belief that the defense will be completely different this year and much better you're not going to shut down the likes of EWU, MSU, Northern Arizona, etc. Moving the chains via the ground game and churning up some clock on scoring drives will be huge this season.

I'd like to see a stat for average time of possession the offense had last year. For this team to make the playoffs they have to possess the football for longer spurts than they did last season.

http://bigskyconf.com/custompages/football/2012/stats/confonly.htm

In conference games only UND was 9th in Time of Possession...

9. North Dakota 8 (games) 229:42(total top) 28:42 (avg top/game)

Only Montana, EWU, PSU, and ISU were worse. The best was MSU at 33.17/game

http://bigskyconf.co...ts/confonly.htm

In conference games only UND was 9th in Time of Possession...

9. North Dakota 8 (games) 229:42(total top) 28:42 (avg top/game)

Only Montana, EWU, PSU, and ISU were worse. The best was MSU at 33.17/game

Hmmm....team that won the conference. Not surprising. I guess EWU being worse than UND in that category is surprising, but with the points they put up on people in a hurry I guess it makes sense.

I'd say Mollberg is in a pretty good position. Everyone knows he's going to get playing time, but he doesn't get the monstrous scrutiny of a freshman starter.

I'll say right now that someone will play themselves into the starting role for Game 2.

That is quality spin. :) The only way Mollberg is in a "pretty good position" as the #2 QB on the depth chart, is that he isn't the #3. When you are the #2 QB, the #1 has to play his way out of the job. That isn't a "pretty good position" to be in because, congratulations, you have lost control over your destiny.

I would think he had above average intelligence and self-discipline to do that. Maybe he just needed to grow up.

Or...keep an eye on the sky when you are in the Pacific Northwest! Kidding.

Hard to say why some kids don't do well in college. It isn't always the partying though, throw in mental illness, depression, death of a loved one or friend, family problems, becoming a parent, and endless other reasons why college doesn't work out for some.

Or...keep an eye on the sky when you are in the Pacific Northwest! Kidding.

Hard to say why some kids don't do well in college. It isn't always the partying though, throw in mental illness, depression, death of a loved one or friend, family problems, becoming a parent, and endless other reasons why college doesn't work out for some.

He had lost his passion for the game.

That is quality spin. :) The only way Mollberg is in a "pretty good position" as the #2 QB on the depth chart, is that he isn't the #3. When you are the #2 QB, the #1 has to play his way out of the job. That isn't a "pretty good position" to be in because, congratulations, you have lost control over your destiny.

I don't think that the QB debate has been decided yet. Muss had to name a starter. Does that mean he is more prepared for starting the game against Valpo? Probably. But because he is starting the game against Valpo doesn't gaurantee him the start against the Jackrabbits. Thursday game will be a great audition for who starts Against SDSU. Sure Bartels was better in camp and got the nod, but that doesn't mean he is way ahead of Molberg. Could be just a slight edge. I believe that whoever performs better Thursday will get the start the next week. I don't agree that Molberg has l;ost control of his destiny. He can very well play his way into the starting role.

I don't think that the QB debate has been decided yet. Muss had to name a starter. Does that mean he is more prepared for starting the game against Valpo? Probably. But because he is starting the game against Valpo doesn't gaurantee him the start against the Jackrabbits. Thursday game will be a great audition for who starts Against SDSU. Sure Bartels was better in camp and got the nod, but that doesn't mean he is way ahead of Molberg. Could be just a slight edge. I believe that whoever performs better Thursday will get the start the next week. I don't agree that Molberg has l;ost control of his destiny. He can very well play his way into the starting role.

Not unless the #1 guy plays less well (pardon the grammar), than the number #2 guy. Therefore, by definition, he does not control his destiny. This is why being #2 is not an advantage. You can play very well, but that's not enough. It must surpass the level of play of the #1 guy. And even then, the questions come up in the coaches' mind-was the #2 playing in mop up duty? Had the opponent mailed it in by that time? 1's and 2's rarely get an apples-apples comparison.

Take a look at how many QBs that start the season as the #1 guy end up losing their job. The #1 guy really has to play his way out of the job vs a #2 guy playing his way in. If Molberg couldn't do it in camp, I really doubt we will see something vs an opponent like Valpo which will prevent Bartels from starting in week 2. Now, the Jacks' D certainly has the ability to make anyone look bad, so what happens going into week 3 is anyone's guess. I could certainly see Bartels struggling against the Jacks and Molberg getting the nod in week 3. But again, that would be due to Bartels leaving the door open through a weak performance, and Molberg taking advantage of that with a good performance vs the Jacks.

Now, the Jacks' D certainly has the ability to make anyone look bad, so what happens going into week 3 is anyone's guess. I could certainly see Bartels struggling against the Jacks and Molberg getting the nod in week 3. But again, that would be due to Bartels leaving the door open through a weak performance, and Molberg taking advantage of that with a good performance vs the Jacks.

I really hope this doesn't get drawn out that long. I can already see Mussman attempting to switch QBs each series...... ???

• Upvote 1

Has it really been that long since we saw Marcus Hendrickson tear it up last year? He was the #2 guy and got an opportunity and broke records. Just because you didn't win the job in practice doesn't mean you can't ball. Some guys are just gamers. The notion that the #2 guy is #2 because he isn't good enough to be #1 is false. Let's just sit back and enjoy watching them both tear Valpo a new one.

• Upvote 1

I really hope this doesn't get drawn out that long. I can already see Mussman attempting to switch QBs each series...... ???

Against an opponent like Valpo that would work out just fine. The Jacks game is where we will really find something out.

Hell no. That would be a joke. Give them each a half if anything.

this valpo game is pretty much a scrimmage getting ready for the sdsu game...if bartels is the starter give him damn near the whole game to get a feel for a live game for the first time in a couple of years...the sdsu game will be huge for the seaon going forward...but if bartels is the starter let him play 99% of the snaps to be ready for the jacks