SiouxSports.com Forum

Jump to FBS

GeauxSioux

unless you are BCS type school any move to FBS would be silly. playing for a trip to the bic pen bowl in billings, montana versus playing for an actual championship-should be no debate.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree with that statement. Maybe its your vague "BCS type school" statement that I disagree with. What are you saying. Are you saying that none of the schools in the MWC, CUSA, BE, MAC or Sunbelt belong in FBS football? If so, I completely disagree.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree with that statement. Maybe its your vague "BCS type school" statement that I disagree with. What are you saying. Are you saying that none of the schools in the MWC, CUSA, BE, MAC or Sunbelt belong in FBS football? If so, I completely disagree.

I think he meant that schools in lower tier conferences less a few in the MWC, and BE will never be able to compete with schools who have budgets like Texas, Oregon, Alabama, Ohio State for example. If that is what he meant then he is right on.

You know how much money the NCAA makes off TV money for the basketball tournament? The big conferences are going to do the math and realize they can do their own 16-team or so tournament for football and make big bucks as well. And they won't have to share it with the smaller conferences.

we haven't seen the big conferences break off in basketball to keep the money, why would they do it in football? especially considering the brazen legal and political risks? The big schools and conferences already get massively more money and will continue to do so, and the little bit more they could theoretically get from excluding the MWC, mac, etc just is not going to be worth it. Once the big ten gets it's new deal in place in 2 years, each school will be making more than the entire MWC. Clearly they will exclude the MWC so they can up their take 5%.

its nonsense. never going to happen.

• Upvote 1

we haven't seen the big conferences break off in basketball to keep the money, why would they do it in football? especially considering the brazen legal and political risks? The big schools and conferences already get massively more money and will continue to do so, and the little bit more they could theoretically get from excluding the MWC, mac, etc just is not going to be worth it. Once the big ten gets it's new deal in place in 2 years, each school will be making more than the entire MWC. Clearly they will exclude the MWC so they can up their take 5%.

Basketball is a different sport. Schools like VCU can make a run in basketball and make it to the Final Four. That can not and will not happen in football. The BCS conferences are king of college football and they know it.

I'm not saying they will break off from the NCAA. I'm saying they will form their own postseason tournament, not have to include small schools/conferences and take all the money themselves. They already formed the BCS. How excited do you think the major conferences were to see NIU make it into a BCS game? How exciting was that game for the fans (they were blown out)? Why is it so far-fetched to think they would push it a little farther and make even more money off of it?

As GFG pointed out, basketaball is different than football. One, it is already set up. The conferences aren't supid and going to ruin something that is already a golden goose. Two, people tune in to see the upsets in basketball, which are much more prone likely to happen when compared to football. There is a lot more parity and having one star player can affect a game much more than in football.

If the FBS didn't have bowl games and had a playoff system would we see all these teams move up? I just don't see the prize for moving to the FBS level? Is it the 60 minutes in a meaningless bowl game? I heard the bowl games don't make money so why move up?

I'm not saying they will break off from the NCAA. I'm saying they will form their own postseason tournament, not have to include small schools/conferences and take all the money themselves. They already formed the BCS. How excited do you think the major conferences were to see NIU make it into a BCS game? How exciting was that game for the fans (they were blown out)? Why is it so far-fetched to think they would push it a little farther and make even more money off of it?

becasue they've been consistantly going in the direction of making it easier for non-major schools to get there for one thing. NIU got there because the rules were made easier for non-majors. Considering the legal issues involved, why would they walk it back? they aren't, and won't, and they will make it even more inclusive.

becasue they've been consistantly going in the direction of making it easier for non-major schools to get there for one thing. NIU got there because the rules were made easier for non-majors. Considering the legal issues involved, why would they walk it back? they aren't, and won't, and they will make it even more inclusive.

Because they've been forced to do it that way through the threat of anti-trust lawsuits because they aren't including everyone who is "equal" with them. If they break off and do their own "invitational" tournament, I can see them getting around some of those issues. You really think the big conferences want to make it more inclusive? Everything I've seen points in the exact opposite direct. One thing for certain is teams aren't looking for ways to increase the number of schools that are splitting these piles of money unless teams they are adding bring the promise of more money to the table.

Idaho going back to Sun Belt in football

Spear's ideal situation would be to see Big Sky schools form a new Western FBS conference or join an expanded Sun Belt. With changes to the BCS system and money flooding in for a playoff system, he and UI President Duane Nellis expect FCS schools to eventually join Appalachian State and Georgia Southern in making the move to the FBS.

Sounds to me like we can count on Idaho's administration to be continually whispering "FBS" into the ears of Big Sky presidents for the foreseeable future...............

If the FBS didn't have bowl games and had a playoff system would we see all these teams move up? I just don't see the prize for moving to the FBS level? Is it the 60 minutes in a meaningless bowl game? I heard the bowl games don't make money so why move up?

More chances at marquee matchups (even if your school does get crushed) and much more visibility on the national spectrum. Even the low level FBS schools are fairly well known throughout college football. Compare that with FCS and it's not close. Most people that don't follow FCS probably couldn't name more than 2 or 3 FCS schools, if that.

For the small schools it's all about getting their schools name out there yet still playing an overall higher level of football than FCS. Is it BCS level for most of them? Not even close. But fans are more likely to go watch an FBS school than an FCS school (usually).

More chances at marquee matchups (even if your school does get crushed) and much more visibility on the national spectrum. Even the low level FBS schools are fairly well known throughout college football. Compare that with FCS and it's not close. Most people that don't follow FCS probably couldn't name more than 2 or 3 FCS schools, if that.

For the small schools it's all about getting their schools name out there yet still playing an overall higher level of football than FCS. Is it BCS level for most of them? Not even close. But fans are more likely to go watch an FBS school than an FCS school (usually).

I think with our geography an FBS conference is gone with the WAC. The closest FBS conference (besides the Big 10) is the MWC. Sun Belt will look like the Great West basketball conference with schools everywhere in the country unless the Big Sky can revive the WAC from the dead. I just hope the Montana's don't bolt for the FBS before UND is even close to an FBS study.

I know I'll get slammed for this, but I'm not sure any FCS team should be considering making the investment into FBS football. The BCS will break off, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. When that happens there will be little to nothing left in terms of tv deals for the have nots. We should just stay in the Sky and play lower-tier football against good regional teams and concentrate on building up our basketball and hockey programs, as they are the most likely to bring national attention to UND's athletic program. I love UND football and will always be a fan, but lets be honest, it's not likely to go anywhere.

I'm with you. FBS is a pipe dream for UND. Maybe NDSU because, honestly, of their attendance and they actually have a bit of a metro area that might support a 35,000+ stadium. But, UND. Nope. Not enough people and we can't even fill up the Alerus right now. Sucks, but true. FCS is a good level of football for UND, nothing wrong with it.

Also, I believe we are in agreement here, the BCS is going to go to a real playoff. It's inevitable. The powerful programs will survive at that level, the weaker ones will drop into another level of competition. Some FCS will move to that level. Some won't. We won't.

I think with our geography an FBS conference is gone with the WAC. The closest FBS conference (besides the Big 10) is the MWC. Sun Belt will look like the Great West basketball conference with schools everywhere in the country unless the Big Sky can revive the WAC from the dead. I just hope the Montana's don't bolt for the FBS before UND is even close to an FBS study.

The MWC just solidified with the retention of Boise State and San Diego State. They've added all they are going to add. Colorado State is going to build a 43,000+ stadium on campus. (They are recruiting scary right now...NDSU was lucky to play them when they did.)

The MWC just solidified with the retention of Boise State and San Diego State. They've added all they are going to add. Colorado State is going to build a 43,000+ stadium on campus. (They are recruiting scary right now...NDSU was lucky to play them when they did.)

Until we are Wyoming quality (and a have a big stadium) the MWC will only be a reality on a PS3 or Xbox. UND needs to build up its fan base before FBS can seriously be talked about. We are out of transition hell and have 1 year of playoff eligibility under our belts, we did see an attendance increase but nowhere near the 2001 level which IMO is where we need to be. We need an average of 10,000+ every game for starters, plus start winning big games, get a conference title, a playoff win, and eventually a national title. One step at a time.

Until we are Wyoming quality (and a have a big stadium) the MWC will only be a reality on a PS3 or Xbox. UND needs to build up its fan base before FBS can seriously be talked about. We are out of transition hell and have 1 year of playoff eligibility under our belts, we did see an attendance increase but nowhere near the 2001 level which IMO is where we need to be. We need an average of 10,000+ every game for starters, plus start winning big games, get a conference title, a playoff win, and eventually a national title. One step at a time.

You know, Wyoming is probably a pretty good example for UND. UW is about the same size as UND. However, Laramie is much smaller than Grand Forks. Cheyenne is about the same distance from Laramie as Fargo. Big difference is that there is a tradition of playing at the MWC level in Laramie. Nothing like that for UND in basketball and football. It's going to take awhile to build it up. Even if UND builds it up to the level of programs like Wyoming...well, it's still Wyoming. They won't be threatening for the FCS championship or a spot in the roundyball final four.

Honestly, UND fans should be happy for what we have right now. Good solid FCS and basketball conference in the Big Sky. A new, competitive conference in hockey. Great facilities with awesome facilities coming for football and other athletes.

I forgot to mention...plus, we aren't the Bears of UNC.

The only problem with using Wyoming is they are, if I remember correctly, the only school of higher education in the state. That means no competition for state dollars or fan interest. They are the only show in the state.

Very true. So, we need to snuff out NDSU! :lol:

We absolutely have to be in position to jump to FBS the instant any of UM, MST, or FU decide to go. As far as I'm concerned, we shouldn't even be the follower. We should be the leader along with UM.

NDSU is still a ways away from being a realistic target for a moveup, and thats with being a dynastic lower division football superpower at their apex with all the benefits that come from their location. I would hesitate to even put UND among the top 20 targets for a 1-a conference. we've been a full fcs school for a year with a 4-6 record ignoring mines. This isn't to say that we can't get there, but at this point it's pretty ludicrous

While WYO has a nice stadium, the team is horrid. Basketball fell flat the end of the season also. As for NDSU or UND moving up, both would surely need bigger stadiums. 25,000-30,000. I don't see that happening anytime soon since both have indoor stadiums that are impossible to enlarge. I really think the stadium issue is a big one....without a FBS size stadium.....no one will get a conference invite.

While WYO has a nice stadium, the team is horrid. Basketball fell flat the end of the season also. As for NDSU or UND moving up, both would surely need bigger stadiums. 25,000-30,000. I don't see that happening anytime soon since both have indoor stadiums that are impossible to enlarge. I really think the stadium issue is a big one....without a FBS size stadium.....no one will get a conference invite.

Yeah, UWs basketball team fell apart after the late night Christmas break incident in the bar with their star player, Luke Martinez (from Bismarck). Trial is coming up soon for him.

Football there will always be dependent on out-recruiting Colorado and Colorado State in the Centennial State. Which is going to be tough to do with the new staff CSU And CU has now. Even if they do well recruiting, they'll never be at the Boise State level. But, a few wins here or there in a bowl game keeps them going, along with keeping the Bronze Boot away from CSU.