SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Niagara - NCAA 1st round

AZSIOUX

One good thing about all this lineup shifting is it makes it difficult for other teams to scout UND's forward lines, nobody knows who's in and out from game to game, hard to pick up any tendencies when you have a different top 2 lines every game.

• Upvote 1

One good thing about all this lineup shifting is it makes it difficult for other teams to scout UND's forward lines, nobody knows who's in and out from game to game, hard to pick up any tendencies when you have a different top 2 lines every game.

The rope-a-dope? I do think its wise to have a couple of surprises in the old bag this time of year.

Our keys to success will be:

secondary scoring. Teams will try and play shutdown against Knight and Kristo. SCSU (Hanowski) said it was their game plan: Don't let Kristo and Knight beat you.

Aggressive forechecking. Control the zone play and time of possession .

Get shots on net. Throw everything at the net, bodies, pucks, everything.

Fast feet on the blue line- hold the zone, manage gaps, win races.

Compete. Every player working in every zone. Communicate. Put bodies on people. Leave it all on the ice. There is no tomorrow if you lose.

Keep it simple: short passes, give and go-s,

He said ODonnell is still on the top line. Not much else other than that.

Also said it might not be bad to have a couple days off after the loss to CC and that they had some good days of practice.

And reiterated several times that this isn't a series, and you can't have an off day. Our leaders know that.

I don't like him up there but on a positive note, maybe OD starts loosening up. He's been up there for more than a few games now; I bet it's becoming more natural for him. Hopefully we get some scoring from the 2nd and 3rd lines this week(end). If we do and our D and goalies come to play we win both games.

The rope-a-dope? I do think its wise to have a couple of surprises in the old bag this time of year.

secondary scoring. Teams will try and play shutdown against Knight and Kristo. SCSU (Hanowski) said it was their game plan: Don't let Kristo and Knight beat you.

Compete. Every player working in every zone. Communicate. Put bodies on people. Leave it all on the ice. There is no tomorrow if you lose.

Damn straight...don't get cute, just suffocate the crease.

~Every team that wins a national championship has a player step up and score a big goal that isn't expected to contribute....ala Matt Henderson.

~Have to keep shifts going in Niagara's end. No easy outs. A lot of the time UND's weakside d has the green light to pinch when whoever they are playing rings the wall. Big Mac loves this freedom.....hopefully the rest of the guys on the blue line are aggressive.

~This cost them the game winning goal against CC. Rocco and Parks don't communicate as to who has the guy at the point, and it ends up in UND's net. One mistake like that now and your season is over with.

You didn't list the most important key - goaltending. Both guys have played well and both have given up some very soft goals. If whoever plays lets in any soft goals we aren't going past the first game.

You didn't list the most important key - goaltending. Both guys have played well and both have given up some very soft goals. If whoever plays lets in any soft goals we aren't going past the first game.

Agree...this team gets confidence from the back end first and foremost. If Zane or Clark can play big early I think Friday's game will be in control by mid 2nd period.

Goaltending will make or break our post-season run here....Plus, I'm with a few who think O'D could be getting more comfortable up with the #1 unit and I think its time he start showing us his offensive potential!

This is what I'm banking on....and a bunch of early Yale goals.

Anyone else get the feeling that Rocco is going to go off in the playoffs? We all know he gets up for the big games and in his short career he has scored several goals against the goofs. Let that guy fly all over the ice and buzz around the net and he's going to have a big time tourney. Rocco has hit more pipes this year then Snoop Dogg, those are about to start going in the damn net and these 3-2 games are going to end up 5-2 wins. Lets hammer the Niagara "hobey" goalie early and often and show him how the WCHA(nchc) rolls, put a couple up early on him. I'm calling for a massacre....

• Upvote 2

Goaltending will make or break our post-season run here....Plus, I'm with a few who think O'D could be getting more comfortable up with the #1 unit and I think its time he start showing us his offensive potential!

I think that is what they are counting on. They need another player to be able to step up and get on the scoresheet for the tournament. Odonnel just might be the guy. That being said, we need contributions from every line. Anyone could be the person to step up and make the difference.

This is what I'm banking on....and a bunch of early Yale goals.

I'm glad we're playing Niagara over Yale. Granted, anyone can win come tourney time, but Yale has proven that they can compete and beat some good talent (DU, CC, BC-tie). Niagara may be talented but they are unproven. Hope the boys are ready, and I am very interested to see the Goofer Yale game Friday. Depending which MN team shows up they could easily roll or get rolled. Very unpredictable.

One game at a time. I think we will beat Niagra big, and Hak will have them ready. Having said that, we have to treat this game like we are playing BC or UM. Would I rather play Yale, yes. I will assume UM will win and worry about that after we take care of business on Fri night.

I'm glad we're playing Niagara over Yale. Granted, anyone can win come tourney time, but Yale has proven that they can compete and beat some good talent (DU, CC, BC-tie). Niagara may be talented but they are unproven. Hope the boys are ready, and I am very interested to see the Goofer Yale game Friday. Depending which MN team shows up they could easily roll or get rolled. Very unpredictable.

in my wildest dreams I just can see yale beating minnesota. I think they can keep it close and maybe lose 4-3 or something like that but they won't beat minnesota.