SiouxSports.com Forum

Denver Theory

geaux_sioux

Perhaps this loss is a blessing in disguise. The team gets to heal up all the while letting the sting of this loss galvanize the team to push for a national championship. There are enough seniors on this team to turn this into a motivation rather than turn into self destruct mode after a loss that should've never happened like a young team might.

Denver had success with a similar final five failure maybe we can do the same.

This hasn't been a team that has put together winning streaks, they've played a lot of OT games or close victories, and I really didn't expect them to win 8 in a row to end the season. I didn't think it would be CC who knocked them out of the Final Five (and it shouldn't have been), but not surprised they didn't win it.

Going forward they will be well rested for a change going into the NCAA tourney, which might not be the worst thing. The way this team has played the second half with almost every game tight until the end the top 2 lines will probably be leaned on heavily next week, and having fresh legs vs. the 8 games in 16/17 days scenario might end up being a positive...we'll see.

Not trying to sugarcoat this bad loss, but in the grand scheme of things where this team has proven to me that they will constantly be involved in tie or 1-goal games late in the 3rd period we're going to have to count on fresh legs and conditioning to win games, and they should be rested coming in now.

Get ready for next week, expect every game to be a tight, gut-wrenching affair until the final horn...I hope it's more than one weekend.

I thought Forbort and McWilliam played well. Those others guys....... Mattson Gleason and Simpson were godawful.

I actually thought Mattson had a pretty good game in both ends of the ice. There was a time or two where he tried to do too much, but otherwise he made alot of smart plays, played well in his own end, and broke the puck out nice. Gleason, Simpson, and Schmaltz did have pretty poor games. I think some of those guys are hurt worse than usual at this time of year (Simpson for sure). I thought Knight played one of the worst games we have seen from him all year. He wasn't great in the face-off circle and seemed to be fighting the puck a bit.

Hopefully the rest will give players a chance to heal and this will be the only time the Sioux outplay a team and get stoned by a hot goaltender.....better now than during the NCAAs.

Perhaps this loss is a blessing in disguise. The team gets to heal up all the while letting the sting of this loss galvanize the team to push for a national championship. There are enough seniors on this team to turn this into a motivation rather than turn into self destruct mode after a loss that should've never happened like a young team might.

Denver had success with a similar final five failure maybe we can do the same.

Duluth, two years ago, lost their opener in St. Paul, was written off for dead, and three weeks later was back in St. Paul and beating Michigan on a Saturday night.

Duluth, two years ago, lost their opener in St. Paul, was written off for dead, and three weeks later was back in St. Paul and beating Michigan on a Saturday night.

That jerk coach of theirs knew something we didn't.... :lol:

I don't see a similar fate for this years squad. I think getting sent out east may be a pipe dream. Like the pipe dream that gopher fan had last night of winning that fight against the Sioux fan......Someone got blood on his Minnesota jersey.... :silly:

I don't see a similar fate for this years squad.

This squad needs to figure out that it is acceptable to come out and kick the opponent in the "cup" and then step on their throat in the first 10 minutes in the game.

There is no shame beating everyone 6-0 or worse.

Quit trying to play close games.

Put them down.

Hard.

That jerk coach of theirs knew something we didn't.... :lol:

I don't see a similar fate for this years squad. I think getting sent out east may be a pipe dream. Like the pipe dream that gopher fan had last night of winning that fight against the Sioux fan......Someone got blood on his Minnesota jersey.... :silly:

The similarities to the 2011 Duluth team are very close. I said in the Bracketology thread that I believe we'll end up in Grand Rapids with Minnesota, and I still think that's a strong possibility. But the loss last night could help us land in the Providence regional with two ECAC teams, just like Duluth did in 2011.

the BIG difference between UND this year and Duluth two years ago is that in all liklihood we end up in a region with minny versus duluth who got shipped out east with yale,union and air force. there is not a chance in hell we get paired up with the likes of yale and qu. if we go east we get unh and bc/lowell in a region or bc/lowell and qu. pretty big difference there. also the title of this thread should be duluth theory not denver theory as DU didn't even make the final in 2004 when they won it.

Problem with your Duluth/Denver theory is both of those teams was built around solid goal tending, something this team is not getting at this point in the season.

Reiter was an OK goalie who got hot at the end of the season in 2011. He didn't exactly blow the record books away that season. As a matter of fact, Saunders numbers this season are slightly better than Reiter's were that season.

Problem with your Duluth/Denver theory is both of those teams was built around solid goal tending, something this team is not getting at this point in the season.

Duluth had a goalie that got hot at the right time not a goalie who had been solid all season long.

Reiter was an OK goalie who got hot at the end of the season in 2011. He didn't exactly blow the record books away that season. As a matter of fact, Saunders numbers this season are slightly better than Reiter's were that season.

don't mix facts into this story, we want to make it up as we go