SiouxSports.com Forum

Exciting News Coming From the NCHC?

IrishSiouxFan

Well that just settles it then..... :silly:

Well you can't deny what I said is true. Once PSU became D1 UW and MN literally had no choice. UND, DU, CC, etc did. I realize UND and DU did what they did in reaction to the Big Ten but they still had a choice in the matter and the Mankato's of the world realize this which is why they're bitter towards those schools.

I strongly disagree with your assesment of how this went down. Two teams MN and UW, had ZERO choice in the matter. They were FORCED to leave the WCHA which left the conference with ten teams which is a perfect number. Then teams who DID have a choice like UND and DU decided to bolt from the WCHA to start a new and completely unnecessary conference.

No Big 10 hockey conference, NCHC does not form and the WCHA stays as is. The first "new and completely unnecessary conference" was the Big 10, not the NCHC

• Upvote 3

I strongly disagree with your assesment of how this went down. Two teams MN and UW, had ZERO choice in the matter. They were FORCED to leave the WCHA which left the conference with ten teams which is a perfect number. Then teams who DID have a choice like UND and DU decided to bolt from the WCHA to start a new and completely unnecessary conference.

Siouxperfan didn't blame UM and UW in his post. He blamed the Big 10 Conference. You don't think the Big 10 couldn't have made an exception for hockey so that the teams could remain in their current conferences with their traditional rivals? Of course they could have.

• Upvote 2

And the question that I would ask in response is, what is the upside to providing that information?

I know you guys feel that the NCHC schools were forced into this. That's just a difference of opinion. I'm not going to have that argument again. The reality is though, that there is a lot of animosity about the way that the NCHC formed. In my mind there is 3 basic reasons for that:

• There is a feeling of a lot of deception in the way it occurred.
  • There is a feeling of a the NCHC teams acting "superior" to the WCHA teams and are quite condescending (as evidenced by the post directly after yours). They talked about "like-minded" schools as if the WCHA schools weren't good enough from day one. Thumbing other schools down to prop your own schools up is not a good way to gain good will.
  • There is also the fact that the Big Ten was inevitable. Regardless of what people think, the Big Ten has by-laws and if one school wanted to push it (ie WI and PSU) they could force the Big Ten to form a hockey conference. Expecting schools like MN to turn their back on a sportthat is, quite frankly, still a niche sport and hurt the rest of the university is just not realistic. On the other hand, the NCHC schools each made a conscious decision to move with no sports in mind other than hockey. It wasn't forced in the same way the Big Ten was.

Again, I'm not saying that you have to agree with that. I'm just answering your question about why there is such a difference in the reaction to the two conferences. It's will dissapate, but remember, these conferences are no longer on the same side. They are competitors. I know that the fans of the NCHC are not the same fans WCHA fans, but why should the WCHA help out a competitor. I've said in a previous post that this shuffle proved that college hockey is now a business (it's no longer above the fray). The WCHA teams were caught flat-footed and didn't recognize that soon enough. "Fairness" was thrown out the window about 2 years ago.

Not trying to be condescending, but facts are facts. The teams left in the WCHA are not historic playoff teams of late. (Throw out the old Michigan Tech glory years) Let these guys have their own conference, and one or two of them will likely be in the "show" each and every season.

Well you can't deny what I said is true. Once PSU became D1 UW and MN literally had no choice. UND, DU, CC, etc did. I realize UND and DU did what they did in reaction to the Big Ten but they still had a choice in the matter and the Mankato's of the world realize this which is why they're bitter towards those schools.

Disagree - Penn State could have moved to CCHA and WCHA could have stayed as is.

The fact is that Big 10 made the first move - nobody forced them to do anything. They acted in their self interest, as did the schools that formed the NCHC.

Those are the facts.

Disagree - Penn State could have moved to CCHA and WCHA could have stayed as is.

The fact is that Big 10 made the first move - nobody forced them to do anything. They acted in their self interest, as did the schools that formed the NCHC.

Those are the facts.

They couldn't have. In all reality, this whole mess is one mans fault. And that man is Terry Pegula. As soon as he gave them the money to go DI that created 6 Big Ten schools with hockey. Like Bale said earlier, in the Big Ten bylaws it states that if any 6 conference schools sponsor the same sport that a Big Ten Conference for that sport will be created.

So basically, just hate Penn State.

Anyone notice that the tourney is a 2 day event with a 3rd place game. People in the past have complained that the 3 games played in week prior to the ncaa's has hurt some teams.

It's only 2 games max per team. Only 4 teams make it.

They couldn't have. In all reality, this whole mess is one mans fault. And that man is Terry Pegula. As soon as he gave them the money to go DI that created 6 Big Ten schools with hockey. Like Bale said earlier, in the Big Ten bylaws it states that if any 6 conference schools sponsor the same sport that a Big Ten Conference for that sport will be created.

So basically, just hate Penn State.

Yep, absolutely NO exceptions allowed..... regardless of school opinion!! Get real, if the big# hockey schools wanted to stay in their separate conferences they would have created an exception for hockey.

Those are the facts.

It seem pretty clear that Penn State's interest in adding hockey was contingent upon a Big 10 hockey conference. They had not interest in joining in any other league. I have to agree that The Big 10 is primarily what is splitting up the current WCHA; had we not seen that conference alignment there would be no NCHC formed.

Yep, absolutely NO exceptions allowed..... regardless of school opinion!! Get real, if the big# hockey schools wanted to stay in their separate conferences they would have created an exception for hockey.

Well then, why don't you write Jim Delaney and ask for a response as to why the conference is being started and report back with the answer?

Just got an email from UND. As a season ticket holder, we're being given access to purchase tickets now to the NCHC tournament. Seat locations will be prioritized based on when you purchase the tickets. Just bought my four. Hopefully I'm one of the earliest and will get good seats.

• Upvote 2

Just got an email from UND. As a season ticket holder, we're being given access to purchase tickets now to the NCHC tournament. Seat locations will be prioritized based on when you purchase the tickets. Just bought my four. Hopefully I'm one of the earliest and will get good seats.

Lol. In all honesty you may be the first. That literally just went online at like noon I think. Congrats!

I got the e-mail as well. Interesting that they are sending it out to UND Champions Club members. I would guess that other schools' booster club members must get some sort of presale oppurtunity as well. Tournament is Friday and Saturday March 21/22 consisting of the 4 winners from the conference quarterfinals, played at home ice of the top four regular season finishers (no real surprise on the format other than the 3rd place game). Lower bowl and first 8 rows of upper level are all one price with the remainder another price. The e-mail also states that this is a reservation only and the seat locations will be assisgned at a later date, but location is prioritized based on when you purchase your reservation.

Well then, why don't you write Jim Delaney and ask for a response as to why the conference is being started and report back with the answer?

Why write an email when we all know the answer? The big# schools' administrations wanted the big# hockey conference.

For those who have already reserved tickets, does it state that your credit card will be charged right away or will it be charged at a later date?

I didn't purchase tickets, but from the e-mail:

This is a ticket reservation only. Once credit card is charged, you are guaranteed tickets, the seat locations will be assigned at a later date and tickets will be mailed by March 1, 2014. Seating location is prioritized based on when you purchase your reservation. Tickets are not refundable after purchase.

Anyone notice that the tourney is a 2 day event with a 3rd place game. People in the past have complained that the 3 games played in week prior to the ncaa's has hurt some teams.

Wouldn't it just be two games?..... Game one... win go to championship. . Lose go to this place game. ...

For attendance. Makes sense to make sure each team has two games. .. makes it easier to justify travel. ..

While I'm not one to get the "code", I'm not a real fan of the NCHC assigning seats based on when they are bought, or lottery, or similar, since I don't know how they determine what the "best" seats are.

When I was selected in the lottery for Frozen Four ticket for 1983 at the old ralph, I was like #2 in the lottery. Therefore I should have received, according to them, some of the best seats with that high a number. My seats were top row, behind a net. I assumed I was given bottom choice because my address was SD, if it had been MN, or WE, or RI or Mass., I'd likely have received good seats, although I'd expect if I'd had a ND address they would have been good as well. At any rate, Harvard beat the Gophers, and lots of seats were suddenly available, as nearly the entire fan base baled on the meaningless third place game vs. Providence, they played once again like the team we knew as the "chokers" and lost again. Always thought this is where the "meaningless third place game" excuse began.

At any rate, I knew going that it was Wisco's tourney, since imo their only competition was the Sioux, who were maddeningly overlooked in the smoke filled room selection process.