SiouxSports.com Forum

Exciting News Coming From the NCHC?

IrishSiouxFan

I know I'm just being naive' but I always expect the people/organizations/etc. will do the 'right thing'. The X isn't going to get the NCHC crowd by hanging on to the list if they do own it. And the WCHA also has nothing to gain by hanging on to the list. Hopefully, all involved will do the right thing for us fans.

I know I'm just being naive' but I always expect the people/organizations/etc. will do the 'right thing'. The X isn't going to get the NCHC crowd by hanging on to the list if they do own it. And the WCHA also has nothing to gain by hanging on to the list. Hopefully, all involved will do the right thing for us fans.

When my Final Five tickets came in the mail, there was a flyer telling all of us how to purchase Big Ten Hockey Conference Tournament tickets! And as Final Five ticket holders, we would get priority over everyone else! How considerate of them! :silly:

Honestly, unless you are a Gopher or Badger fan, why would you even CARE about the Big Ten Tournament? I was a little irritated by that; it felt like a cheap shot at the NCHC.

No offense, but if everyone was worried about the "right thing" there would be no NCHC in the view of the WCHA. I think you're underestimating the hard feelings that the WCHA leadership and schools have towards the NCHC. College hockey has been made all about the money with the formation of the BT and NCHC. Why would the WCHA hurt themselves and give up a customer list to their competitor. That's like asking Apple to taking all the names and contact info of their customers and giving them to Google. It's just not realistic. The WCHA's responsibility is to the WCHA member schools. From this point forward, the WCHA has no responsibility to help any NCHC or Big Ten school (at least not in men's hockey).

No offense, but if everyone was worried about the "right thing" there would be no NCHC in the view of the WCHA. I think you're underestimating the hard feelings that the WCHA leadership and schools have towards the NCHC. College hockey has been made all about the money with the formation of the BT and NCHC. Why would the WCHA hurt themselves and give up a customer list to their competitor. That's like asking Apple to taking all the names and contact info of their customers and giving them to Google. It's just not realistic. The WCHA's responsibility is to the WCHA member schools. From this point forward, the WCHA has no responsibility to help any NCHC or Big Ten school (at least not in men's hockey).

And yet they chose to help the Big# anyway....

When my Final Five tickets came in the mail, there was a flyer telling all of us how to purchase Big Ten Hockey Conference Tournament tickets! And as Final Five ticket holders, we would get priority over everyone else! How considerate of them! :silly:

Honestly, unless you are a Gopher or Badger fan, why would you even CARE about the Big Ten Tournament? I was a little irritated by that; it felt like a cheap shot at the NCHC.

The X and local bars/restaurants in St Paul are going to take a big cut in revenue due to this realignment.

Here's a question the WCHA people in charge of the ticketing list need to ask themselves. How many NCHC fans are going to attend future Final 5 games if they assist the Target Center and maintain the seat priority of loyal cystomers they have had for 10+ years? How many NCHC fans are they going to to get to attend future Final 5 games if they screw them over by not assisting the Target Center with seating priority?

Not sure why the grudge is all towards the NCHC and not the Big 10. Sure, more teams are going to the NCHC than the BIG 10, but you can directly point to the Big 10 for the breakup of the WCHA. There is no denying it. Their initial actions forming the BTHC led to the destruction of the WCHA as we know it.

The "new" WCHA will ensure teams like Mankato will make the WCHA postseason tourney all the time and have a way better chance of getting into the NCAA playoffs with an autobid. Years like this where Mankato is ranked high in the Pairwise have been few and far in between, and I believe it is an anomaly. I am not sure why they and other like minded schools are upset.

The WCHA works in partnership with the Xcel Energy Center. Why wouldn't the WCHA want to try to get Big 10 fans to come to their tournament the years the Big 10 is in Detroit?

Here's a question the WCHA people in charge of the ticketing list need to ask themselves. How many NCHC fans are going to attend future Final 5 games if they assist the Target Center and maintain the seat priority of loyal cystomers they have had for 10+ years? How many NCHC fans are they going to to get to attend future Final 5 games if they screw them over by not assisting the Target Center with seating priority?

Not sure why the grudge is all towards the NCHC and not the Big 10. Sure, more teams are going to the NCHC than the BIG 10, but you can directly point to the Big 10 for the breakup of the WCHA. There is no denying it. Their initial actions forming the BTHC led to the destruction of the WCHA as we know it.

And the question that I would ask in response is, what is the upside to providing that information?

I know you guys feel that the NCHC schools were forced into this. That's just a difference of opinion. I'm not going to have that argument again. The reality is though, that there is a lot of animosity about the way that the NCHC formed. In my mind there is 3 basic reasons for that:

• There is a feeling of a lot of deception in the way it occurred.
  • There is a feeling of a the NCHC teams acting "superior" to the WCHA teams and are quite condescending (as evidenced by the post directly after yours). They talked about "like-minded" schools as if the WCHA schools weren't good enough from day one. Thumbing other schools down to prop your own schools up is not a good way to gain good will.
  • There is also the fact that the Big Ten was inevitable. Regardless of what people think, the Big Ten has by-laws and if one school wanted to push it (ie WI and PSU) they could force the Big Ten to form a hockey conference. Expecting schools like MN to turn their back on a sportthat is, quite frankly, still a niche sport and hurt the rest of the university is just not realistic. On the other hand, the NCHC schools each made a conscious decision to move with no sports in mind other than hockey. It wasn't forced in the same way the Big Ten was.

Again, I'm not saying that you have to agree with that. I'm just answering your question about why there is such a difference in the reaction to the two conferences. It's will dissapate, but remember, these conferences are no longer on the same side. They are competitors. I know that the fans of the NCHC are not the same fans WCHA fans, but why should the WCHA help out a competitor. I've said in a previous post that this shuffle proved that college hockey is now a business (it's no longer above the fray). The WCHA teams were caught flat-footed and didn't recognize that soon enough. "Fairness" was thrown out the window about 2 years ago.

The "new" WCHA will ensure teams like Mankato will make the WCHA postseason tourney all the time and have a way better chance of getting into the NCAA playoffs with an autobid. Years like this where Mankato is ranked high in the Pairwise have been few and far in between, and I believe it is an anomaly. I am not sure why they and other like minded schools are upset.

And it's degrading comments like this that drive those feelings of ill-will even more.

The WCHA works in partnership with the Xcel Energy Center. Why wouldn't the WCHA want to try to get Big 10 fans to come to their tournament the years the Big 10 is in Detroit?

Why would the WCHA think that anyone that is not a fan of Minnesota or Wisconsin care ONE IOTA about the Big 10 Hockey Conference? My theory is described in one word:

A-R-R-O-G-A-N-C-E

We'll have to wait and see what happens to their attendance figures and revenue streams before we'll know if this attitude is justified.

With the departure of Buckie and Goldie courtesy Jim Delany and the BTN, the balance of power had shifted in the WCHA. With UM and UW the teams looking to stay at max scholarships had the majority voting bloc; without them the schools that would favor scaling back expenditures would be in the majority.

For schools that depend on hockey to be a fiscal driver, not being top tier nationally (due to scaled back spending, especially on scholarships) is not an option.

Rather than face a conference looking to downgrade from 18 scholarships, the schools that have made the big investments in hockey decided to band together and ensure that scale-backs would not happen. The only way to ensure that would be to go on their own.

So what you see is this:

UND - hockey is the fiscal engine for Athletics

DU - hockey is the fiscal engine for Athletics

CC - hockey is the fiscal engine for Athletics

UNO - dropped FB and wrestling to commit to hockey

WMU - just look at their coach, a former pro coach, they've committed

Miami - they're committed to top-level hockey based on their performance record

UMD and SCSU have rinks (new or improved) and say they are committed (and if not, they'd be in a minority)

The teams in the WCHA (and CCHA for that matter) that have been "riding along" (not improving but benefitting when UND or UM came to town) got a rude awakening. However, that awakening is also opportunity if used correctly.

I understand what you're saying. The thing that I've never gotten a good answer on is what are these supposed things that were going to be "scaled back"? It's a very ambiguous term that was never defined. Besides, that argument falls on it's face when you have 6 schools that have gone to the NCHC from the WCHA and there are 9 schools left in the conference (and if they would have added Miami and WMU that is 8 and 11) so the schools "willing to spend money" are still the vast majority. Besides, the argument of scaling back to 18 scholarships is a scare tactic and nothing more. That has NEVER been talked about by any of the schools. To say otherwise is nothing more than floating an idea to see if it sticks.

Again, I'm not saying this is all the NCHC's fault. I'm just answering the question as to why the WCHA schools are bitter. The same way that UND is bitter and MN for not scheduling a series the next couple of years is the same way that WCHA fans feel about the conference shuffle. It felt like a slap in the face from the start. I am fully confident that MSU is going to benefit from this on a national scale. I think MSU is going to take advantage of the new conference and be in the conversation every year. Admittedly, MSU has been financially struggling for a while, but that wasn't due to "riding along" it was and is due to the way that the jump to D1 was done and was forced by the NCAA. Financially, MSU never had a chance to get ahead financially until recently. To say that schools were riding along is just not true. It may the perception from some schools, but it's not based in reality.

Let me look at this from a different perspective...

As a WMU or Miami Fan, why should UND, SCSU, UMD, DU, CC, and UNO fans get priority over them for seat selection for the conference tourney?

Do U Mich, MSU, OSU, and PSU fans get first priority for the B1G tourney at the X? Why should UMinn and UW fans be afforded that luxury? Perhaps those "other" schools are given priority when their tourney is in Detroit, I don't know.

But for a tourney that is being held at the Target Center every year, I would think it would be a bit unfair to the new teams in the conference if their fans were left out of the "priority" ticket process just because we think we should have some sort of "carryover" from the old WCHA.

I totally agree with your priority seating not being a carry over. Yes it may have taken years for some people to build those loyalty points. We are looking at a new conference and a new venue. I have a feeling that pricing may have something to do with who sits where. Center ice is usually more expensive than corners and upper deck less than lower. The Final 5 is abnormal in that lower bowl, club and upper sides same price. This worked for them, but those days are gone. Do not be surprised if the almighty dollar and supply demand comes into play at this tourney. I foresee a different pricing structure coming.

Let me look at this from a different perspective...

As a WMU or Miami Fan, why should UND, SCSU, UMD, DU, CC, and UNO fans get priority over them for seat selection for the conference tourney?

Do U Mich, MSU, OSU, and PSU fans get first priority for the B1G tourney at the X? Why should UMinn and UW fans be afforded that luxury? Perhaps those "other" schools are given priority when their tourney is in Detroit, I don't know.

But for a tourney that is being held at the Target Center every year, I would think it would be a bit unfair to the new teams in the conference if their fans were left out of the "priority" ticket process just because we think we should have some sort of "carryover" from the old WCHA.

If there was a way to combine WCHA Final Five priority and CCHA tournament proiroty together to ensure that fans of ALL teams were given priority, that would be ideal. If you are a Miami fan who sat at the red line at the Joe for the CCHA tournament, you should be given the same priority of a Sioux fan that had seats at the red line. Not sure how easy that is going to be, but hopefully the NCHC will try.

• Upvote 1

Yes what has been said about the Excel EC is the reason you see the big10 stuff.

The event is happening at the Excel so the x is marketing the event. ... It would only male sense that they would Market their future hockey productions to their current hockey based customer base. .as would the continuing entity that is the wcha

I see no Grand conspiracy or shenanigans being pulled by the ex. .. The wcha or the big 10.

• Upvote 1

A-T-T-E-N-D-A-N-C-E.

Fixed your post. I'm pretty sure that the X has no idea when they send the renewal form out every year as to whether I'm a Sioux fan, Gopher fan, Badger fan, etc. I'm a name in a database that says I've had the same seats at the X for 12 years...therefore, I'm a potential customer when the Big 10 Tournament comes to the X...and for that matter, when the WCHA tournament comes back as well.

• Upvote 1

I strongly disagree with your assesment of how this went down. Two teams MN and UW, had ZERO choice in the matter. They were FORCED to leave the WCHA which left the conference with ten teams which is a perfect number. Then teams who DID have a choice like UND and DU decided to bolt from the WCHA to start a new and completely unnecessary conference.

I strongly disagree with your assesment of how this went down. Two teams MN and UW, had ZERO choice in the matter. They were FORCED to leave the WCHA which left the conference with ten teams which is a perfect number. Then teams who DID have a choice like UND and DU decided to bolt from the WCHA to start a new and completely unnecessary conference.

Well that just settles it then..... :silly:

Fixed your post. I'm pretty sure that the X has no idea when they send the renewal form out every year as to whether I'm a Sioux fan, Gopher fan, Badger fan, etc. I'm a name in a database that says I've had the same seats at the X for 12 years...therefore, I'm a potential customer when the Big 10 Tournament comes to the X...and for that matter, when the WCHA tournament comes back as well.

Okay, that is a fair point. I just think that the attendance for the Big Ten Tournament will pale in comparison to the current version of the Final Five. As will the NCHC attendance. As will the new WCHA attendance. We have had the perfect storm of schools, travel distance, location and facility over the past 15 years with the current WCHA. It will never be duplicated. The X can try all they want, but most of us won't give the Big Ten tournament the time of day.

Blame it on whomever gave Penn State all that money to start a program. That is why this is happening at all.