SiouxSports.com Forum

If You Could Own UND's Hockey Team or the Lincoln Stars?

watchmaker49

Yes.

Then I'd take UND men's hockey (without having to shell out for the other athletics programs). Watch out, ticket prices are going up under the new regime...... beer prices too. Nobody's ever said I don't know how to make an extra $1 :lol:

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the Lincoln Stars finances look like.

Then I'd take UND men's hockey (without having to shell out for the other athletics programs). Watch out, ticket prices are going up under the new regime...... beer prices too. Nobody's ever said I don't know how to make an extra $1 :lol:

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the Lincoln Stars finances look like.

According to Gasparini when he was the head of the USHL the Stars took in more money than UND did before they moved to the new arena. The Stars are a little gold mine. They make $50k gate sales for their home games. All concession sales and they sell 72 kegs a game according to Gino. That adds up real fast.

According to Gasparini when he was the head of the USHL the Stars took in more money than UND did before they moved to the new arena. The Stars are a little gold mine. They make $50k gate sales for their home games. All concession sales and they sell 72 kegs a game according to Gino. That adds up real fast.

$50,000 sounds like a lot, but in the new Ralph UND is selling 11,000+ seats at around $30 each every game ($330,000).

Yeah there must be an uneven cost allocation going on there to dump extra expenses on the men's hockey team. Also, those expense numbers would have to include player scholarships. I've gotta agree with gfhockey on this one, there's no way the women's team is making any money. I suppose nearly all the revenue being attributed to them could be coming from student fees.

Looking at the UMN revenue number, I'd have to think they're allocating the FSN tv deal to their hockey team, whereas the MidcoSN tv deal that UND has is either being spread across the sports programs or just going into the AD's Office to be doled out as needed. I'm guessing that must be the case anyways because Mariucci has a lower capacity than the Ralph and I can't imagine the gophers are charging much more (if at all) for a seat than UND is.

Looking at the UMN revenue number, I'd have to think they're allocating the FSN tv deal to their hockey team, whereas the MidcoSN tv deal that UND has is either being spread across the sports programs or just going into the AD's Office to be doled out as needed. I'm guessing that must be the case anyways because Mariucci has a lower capacity than the Ralph and I can't imagine the gophers are charging much more (if at all) for a seat than UND is.

I've seen the report these numbers come from (but have been unable to find it the last few times I've looked for it). The cost allocation has no rhyme or reason to it, it is a numbers game used for the reporting. I believe the same report shows NDSU's football team breaks even.

I am still curious on the source that says the Lincoln stars make $2MM with an average attendance of 4K or so (30 home games, 120K in total attendance). UND has twice as many fans coming through the doors averaging 11K+ (20-22 home games, total attendance of 240K+) with more expensive tickets. Revenues on the UND side are much higher. I'm sure expenses are as well, but good luck finding accurate and publicly available numbers for either.

I've seen the report these numbers come from (but have been unable to find it the last few times I've looked for it). The cost allocation has no rhyme or reason to it, it is a numbers game used for the reporting. I believe the same report shows NDSU's football team breaks even.

I am still curious on the source that says the Lincoln stars make $2MM with an average attendance of 4K or so (30 home games, 120K in total attendance). UND has twice as many fans coming through the doors averaging 11K+ (20-22 home games, total attendance of 240K+) with more expensive tickets. Revenues on the UND side are much higher. I'm sure expenses are as well, but good luck finding accurate and publicly available numbers for either.

That is what Gino said when he was the league commissioner. But using your math that is 1.5 million gate revenue. Ad space on boards, program ad space, all belongs to the Stars.

That is what Gino said when he was the league commissioner. But using your math that is 1.5 million gate revenue. Ad space on boards, program ad space, all belongs to the Stars.

I have nothing to disprove your Lincoln numbers but there seems to be something missing. I feel confident that your numbers for UND have a lot of noise in them though.