SiouxSports.com Forum

If You Could Own UND's Hockey Team or the Lincoln Stars?

watchmaker49

I have nothing to disprove your Lincoln numbers but there seems to be something missing. I feel confident that your numbers for UND have a lot of noise in them though.

I can agree with you on the UND numbers. Like Don Corleone said, "A lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than 100 guys with guns." Though it is public record and they would have to give anyone a detailed accounting when asked.

No expert here, but throwing out a theory...Chances this variance here is due to factor of the REA (ads, concessions, etc.) being privately owned by the Engelstads and not factored into UND's profits -- ie. just ticket sales, or possibly even just a portion of ticket sales (excluding the 'donation' we all make) go to the school and possibly other factors like any online revenue, and tv deal -- vs. Stars being franchised where all marketing, concessions, seats, donations, etc. are paid to the same entity? Unless I'm off here, comparing net profit seems like it's potentially comparing apples to oranges, beyond just the reporting differences for how and what the allocations are when divvied up by UND if you assume that the Engelstad's are taking a good chunk of the profits. All things being equal, the brand, facilities and overall sales would *seem* to be grossly in favor of UND hockey over the Stars who draw significantly less than UNO as a basis for comparison.

Again, no expert, but my assumption's always been that Ralph not only made an incredible gift to UND, but also a pretty sound business decision that his family's likely already recouped the investment cost on through having a steady 11-12k visitors every other weekend during hockey season. Those beers ain't cheap, after all, and it's the most visited tourist attraction by a wide margin in the entire state.