SiouxSports.com Forum

crb1

The national scoring race is very close!

http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/division-i-men/2012-2013/

I say knight, Kristo, walter or gaurdeau all can win it. Gaurdeau's points per is awesome. Haula missing games really hurts his chances am Leblanc can grab it no doubt. I think the winner comes from the WCHA!

Not sure if we have had a national points winner for years have we?? Or just skipping my mind

I guess I haven't cared all that much about the Hobey since Panzer was robbed in 2001. :angry: Of course I was happy for Ryan Duncan winning it in 2007 and I'll be happy if Corban Knight wins it this year. But I just don't get as excited about it like I used to. I think they should have a national award for each position (forward, defense, goalie) and not a political award decided by where you go to school and if that school is loved by the national media.

Back to regularly-scheduled Hobey campaigning. :)

• Upvote 1

Duluth is loved by the national media? Seems like they win that thing every couple of years. I agree Panzer should have one it but that year Duncan won it I thought it should have went to (T.J. Hensik?). There's always gonna be deserving players on other teams.

Generally, Hockey East teams that are in major media markets and/or have affiliation in prominent Division I conferences for their other sports have a statistically better chance of having a Hobey winner than a North Dakota or a Clarkson. Duluth has been an outlier to that over the years, I will agree with you there.

I think after the Great Panzer Train Robbery in 2001, there was an uptick in non-big time schools having Hobey winners (Denver, Colorado College, Duluth, ect). I think there was a real backlash from people after that and I think it had an impact on how the award was given out. But I still can't get too excited about it. I care more about team championships (NCAA and otherwise).

Generally, Hockey East teams that are in major media markets and/or have affiliation in prominent Division I conferences for their other sports have a statistically better chance of having a Hobey winner than a North Dakota or a Clarkson. Duluth has been an outlier to that over the years, I will agree with you there.

I think after the Great Panzer Train Robbery in 2001, there was an uptick in non-big time schools having Hobey winners (Denver, Colorado College, Duluth, ect). I think there was a real backlash from people after that and I think it had an impact on how the award was given out. But I still can't get too excited about it. I care more about team championships (NCAA and otherwise).

So just like WCHA refs, the Hobey Baker committee is anti UND too? :silly:
  • Upvote 1

We just had a Hobey not too long ago. Frattin could have gotten one but I really don't think one other player since Duncan should have received it.

And I'm sorry but Panzer was not robbed. He had a strong case yes, but Ryan Miller probably had the greatest season for a goalie in NCAA history.

If Panzer had played for Boston College or (and yes, I am going to say it) Minnesota, he would have been handed the Hobey on a silver platter. Forwards with big numbers almost always win the award.* Especially if they are seniors with a proven track record of putting up big numbers against solid competition week after week, year after year.** And goaltenders definitely shouldn't win it if they benefit from a trapping, defense-first system.***

And like a couple of others have already said on here, shoo, scram.

*unless they are from a smaller school

**unless they are from North Dakota

***unless they need an excuse not to give it to a forward from a smaller school and a forward from North Dakota had all the traditional qualifications to win it.

If Panzer had played for Boston College or (and yes, I am going to say it) Minnesota, he would have been handed the Hobey on a silver platter. Forwards with big numbers almost always win the award.* .

Sorry, but Johnny Pohl led the nation in scoring and he wasn't even a top ten finalist. Why do you, as a fan of one of the nations elite programs have this "little brother" mentality where everyone is biased against your program?

Back in 87 I asked Tony what he would have thought if he had not gotten the Hobey. His response was if he hadn't it would have made the Hobey more of a joke than it already is. In 1988 Steve Johnson was the leading scorer and he did not get it either.

Hrkac winning it the year before probably didn't help Johnson's chances...

Sorry, but Johnny Pohl led the nation in scoring and he wasn't even a top ten finalist. Why do you, as a fan of one of the nations elite programs have this "little brother" mentality where everyone is biased against your program?

It's called GPL...try it sometime...

Apparently some of them aren't even popular at home. The three Gopher candidates haven't cracked 1500 votes combined. Knight has 10 times as many votes as the Gopher trio has.

That's because it's a waste of time. This voting has no effect on the award, it's just something to get the fans involved.

That's because it's a waste of time. This voting has no effect on the award, it's just something to get the fans involved.

Yes, but it also generates buzz and interest in the candidate and the program. UND wants to keep Knight's name in the minds of the actual Hobey voters and ensure that folks are aware of his accomplishments and why he should be considered.

A handful of schools have ramped up the Hobey buzz by creating websites, etc. for its candidates. A nice marketing tool for the player and the program.