SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Change

SIOUXELEVENS

I will say that in comparison to their competition, the 76 LaMoure team was the best team I saw play.....I will also say that in 1984 Linton was the best team in A or B. Class A that year went Century, St. Mary's, Bismarck High with Century beating St. Mary's by 2 for the title after St. Mary's had beat Bismarck by a deuce in the semi-finals...Linton went into St. Mary's Gym for their Holiday tournament, didn't get 1 call in their favor and still handled St. Mary's without much problem.

Towner was robbed by the refs against Linton in 84! :-)

I know I have a reputation as a big Dave Hakstol backer (and I am), I do have to comment on adjustments made during that Michigan game. While UND outshot Michigan big-time, many of those shots were weak dump-ins and shots without any traffic in front. I also noticed that for the entire game (especially on the power play), the Sioux were content to dump the puck in and chase it around. Every time, those efforts were thwarted by Michigan's defense. Two nights later, I watched the UMD Bulldogs CARRY THE PUCK INTO THE ZONE on every power play they were on. Obviously Scott Sandelin was watching the Thursday night semi-final. I wondered in the 2nd and 3rd periods why UND didn't try something different. Like I said, I'm a big Hakstol backer (just ask passit_offthegoalie, he'll tell you), but that game in 2011 needed some coaching adjustments...and my opinion is they didn't happen.

To be fair Michigan played a totally different game against the Sioux than against Duluth. Red knew they were outclassed and totally packed it in around the net making it impossible to get shots through, the lucky bounce was needed, and the Sioux didn't get it. Michigan Tech played exactly the same game at GF in the WCHA playoffs first round, scored first, but were beaten 3-1 when the Sioux got a few of those bounces. Michigan played straight up against Duluth, and got the game to OT; had they played that same game against the Sioux, they would have lost by a big margin. Maybe Michigan should have played the same game against Duluth in the championship.

somebody asked Hak today at the press conference about the physicality of this years team, Hak basically dismissed it and questioned if the guy was getting his info from the message boards and moved on to the next question. I found it quite funny, although I would question if he was getting the ideas for his questions from here as he asked that question and proceeded to ask averyone at the podium if they were frustrated they haven't gone on the pattented second half run yet. how some people get credentials is beyond me.

somebody asked Hak today at the press conference about the physicality of this years team, Hak basically dismissed it and questioned if the guy was getting his info from the message boards and moved on to the next question. I found it quite funny, although I would question if he was getting the ideas for his questions from here as he asked that question and proceeded to ask averyone at the podium if they were frustrated they haven't gone on the pattented second half run yet. how some people get credentials is beyond me.

Was that Goon that asked that question?

yes that was goon that asked the question and he got all scared lmao that is so funny

he back away quickly when confronted from hak

that was the best interview ever haha

Really genius, how so? Hakstol answered the question that I asked of him.

IM just saying i enjoy your work/blogs but that was the most entertaining media session from hak this year cuz of the question you asked.

i would never have seen it if someone didnt call you out on it

I asked that question...I own it, I also got the quote I was looking for... I also guarantee there have been other questions at media events that didn't always come out the way that they were intended.

I asked that question...I own it, I also got the quote I was looking for... I also guarantee there have been other questions at media events that didn't always come out the way that they were intended.

So was he mad or joking about message board comment?

In all fairness to Goon it was a legit question to ask and one Hak answered. He did mention message boards which indicated to me he(staff) have some knowledge of what gets discussed on message boards to some extent.

• Upvote 1

This is what I don't like about Hakstol; he pulls a Jim Boeheim whenever he gets a question he doesn't like. If the question can't be answered with one of his patented boilerplate coachspeak comments, he moves on to the next one. I don't even listen to the Wednesday night coaches show anymore because it's the same tired old crap over and over and over. If you have heard one Hakstol interview, you've heard them all.

• Upvote 2

This is a true story. Last year during the Final Five, when DU beat UMD in their first game on Friday Night and after the game during the post game press conference one of the beat writers for the Pioneer Press asked Gwoz about Zucker and if he was ready for the pros and then this same press person, whose name escapes me if he enjoyed playing in the Xcel Energy Center and some other questions about Zucker turning pro. I thought, holy cow, that question is kind of over the top since DU has a game on Saturday and NCAA after.

This is what I don't like about Hakstol; he pulls a Jim Boeheim whenever he gets a question he doesn't like. If the question can't be answered with one of his patented boilerplate coachspeak comments, he moves on to the next one. I don't even listen to the Wednesday night coaches show anymore because it's the same tired old crap over and over and over. If you have heard one Hakstol interview, you've heard them all.

he didnt dismiss the question ...he gave a good answer....listen to the interview.....it was a legit question that was poorly worded .....
  • Upvote 1