SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA

ZapPoke

Watching the football pre-game last night. A guy dressed up as an Indian (presumably a Seminole) riding a horse comes on the field. The announcer says "don't you just love the pageantry and traditions of college sports?" Man, it just irritated me that we have been denied our traditions, but Utah and Florida State are ok! The hypocrisy of the NCAA!

hy·poc·ri·sy

/hɪˈpɒk rə si/ Show IPA

noun, plural hy·poc·ri·sies.

a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

• Upvote 1

Watching the football pre-game last night. A guy dressed up as an Indian (presumably a Seminole) riding a horse comes on the field. The announcer says "don't you just love the pageantry and traditions of college sports?" Man, it just irritated me that we have been denied our traditions, but Utah and Florida State are ok! The hypocrisy of the NCAA!

hy·poc·ri·sy

/hɪˈpɒk rə si/ Show IPA

noun, plural hy·poc·ri·sies.

a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

It does suck, and if the NCAA had balls they would have banned all NA names with NO exceptions. But got scared when Florida State threatened to sue them. I wonder if their time is coming, and one tribal permission may not be enough.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256943/Atlanta-Braves-race-row-reinstating-politically-incorrect-screaming-Indian-logo-warmup-baseball-caps.html

Earlier this year, the NCAA forced the University of Dakota to get rid of its fighting Sioux mascot.

A few colleges were allowed to continue using nicknames linked to American Indians, but only with the permission of the tribes, like in the case of the Florida State Seminoles.

University of Dakota?

I am so sick and tired of the war on Native American based team nicknames and logos. I applaud the Atlanta Braves for making the decision to bring back that classic old school logo, and I hope that they don't cower to the shrill PC zealots spewing their hatred.

The Braves are just the like the Indians (my favorite baseball team) and the Redskins...they are professional teams and since its not the NCAA those protesters can go f themselves.

I am so sick and tired of the war on Native American based team nicknames and logos. I applaud the Atlanta Braves for making the decision to bring back that classic old school logo, and I hope that they don't cower to the shrill PC zealots spewing their hatred.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the "Screaming Indian" Braves logo will likely not be coming back. There were plans to have it on the BP caps this year, but Atlanta is considering caving into the public outcry against the logo.

The Braves are just the like the Indians (my favorite baseball team) and the Redskins...they are professional teams and since its not the NCAA those protesters can go f themselves.

Since when are professional sports franchises immune to negative media coverage caused by protesters? The owners of these teams like to maintain a positive image of themselves and their franchises in the media and amongst the general public. It is entirely possible that in the future, these teams will make the decision that having these nicknames is more trouble than they are worth and will change them. I don't want it to happen, but the word 'racist' is a powerful one in all sectors of our economy. Professional sports are not exempt from that.

I see at least one of those teams changing their name within the next 10 years. After all, Jesse Taken Alive and Ron His Horse Is Thunder need something to attack and destroy and this would be a perfect target to satisfy their never-ending quest for media attention.

Since when are professional sports franchises immune to negative media coverage caused by protesters? The owners of these teams like to maintain a positive image of themselves and their franchises in the media and amongst the general public. It is entirely possible that in the future, these teams will make the decision that having these nicknames is more trouble than they are worth and will change them. I don't want it to happen, but the word 'racist' is a powerful one in all sectors of our economy. Professional sports are not exempt from that.

I see at least one of those teams changing their name within the next 10 years. After all, Jesse Taken Alive and Ron His Horse Is Thunder need something to attack and destroy and this would be a perfect target to satisfy their never-ending quest for media attention.

Dan Snyder (Redskins owner) said they won't change the name. Cleveland named their team after the first Indian on the team so they won't change it (although they did go on streaks where Chief Wahoo wasn't on the uniform). I can't see the Braves or the Blackhawks changing either. It has to be either the league saying it or it won't change even with the public outcry because these teams despite their Indian nicknames are still selling out their stadiums.

This is a little over the top...

What’s in a name? The Redskins’ bad karma

So, Washington football fans, how’s that offensive team name and demeaning sports mascot working out? Whooping and hollering as RGIII goes on a “Redskins” warpath only to leave a trail of tears when his wounded knee gets buried at FedEx Field.

In this obscene home team sports fantasy, the gifted Robert Griffin III was reduced to a “noble savage.” Let the “Redskin” play hurt. He can take it. Hail to the young brave-hearted quarterback as he limps into battle on that injured knee. Three cheers as he fights on his one good leg for Old D.C.

Bad karma, I tell you, that team name.

And here I thought it was just bad coaching by Shanahan.

This is a little over the top...

What’s in a name? The Redskins’ bad karma

And here I thought it was just bad coaching by Shanahan.

I bet the Skin fans love this article, if it was Philly fans they'd hunt Milloy down with pitchforks.

And the whole Shanahan thing, does anything he does surprise anybody anymore? I feel bad for the doctor, he was put in a bad spot but held his ground and put it back on Shanny where it belongs. Probably be job hunting soon. If RGIII ends up missing next year there will be a lot of scrutiny in DC.

I bet the Skin fans love this article, if it was Philly fans they'd hunt Milloy down with pitchforks.

And the whole Shanahan thing, does anything he does surprise anybody anymore? I feel bad for the doctor, he was put in a bad spot but held his ground and put it back on Shanny where it belongs. Probably be job hunting soon. If RGIII ends up missing next year there will be a lot of scrutiny in DC.

Putting the cornerstone of your franchise on the field in that condition was pure stupidity. The Redskins have a solid backup in Kirk Cousins, who looked good in relief before and might have been more effective. The Vikings did the same thing last year with Adrian Peterson; his knee was banged up, the team was hopelessly out of contention and they put him out there vs. Washington on Christmas Eve and look what happened. The Vikings lucked out of the potential consequences of that decision; the Redskins had better hope RGIII has the same type of comeback next year. If he doesn't, some heads should roll.

Putting the cornerstone of your franchise on the field in that condition was pure stupidity. The Redskins have a solid backup in Kirk Cousins, who looked good in relief before and might have been more effective. The Vikings did the same thing last year with Adrian Peterson; his knee was banged up, the team was hopelessly out of contention and they put him out there vs. Washington on Christmas Eve and look what happened. The Vikings lucked out of the potential consequences of that decision; the Redskins had better hope RGIII has the same type of comeback next year. If he doesn't, some heads should roll.

You bring up both RGIII and AP. Funny how both injuries occurred on the same crappy playing surface. How can a team, throwing money around the way Dan Snyder does, tolerate the absolute WORST playing surface in the league?

• Upvote 1

You bring up both RGIII and AP. Funny how both injuries occurred on the same crappy playing surface. How can a team, throwing money around the way Dan Snyder does, tolerate the absolute WORST playing surface in the league?

You are right, the playing surface there is horrible and the stadium isn't even that old! Put in some field turf and protect your investments.

• 2 weeks later...

From the "Do as we say, not as we do" files ...

http://www.bloomberg...i-athletes.html

"Former NCAA enforcement staff members"

So the NCAA already cut these people loose, I wonder how long ago that was and how long they have been debating whether to announce this?

Their little dictatorship has taken quite a few hits lately, this could really hinder their Miami case plus they still are catching flak about the handling of the Penn State mess and being sued by Todd McNair from USC for being 'malicious' in the handling of the Reggie Bush case (that sounds familiar...oh yeah they had to pay off Tarkanian for that too).

It's a bitch when you're held accountable for your actions, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new thread....but...

Hugh Thornton of the Illinois Illini added the forbidden chief logo to his helmet for the Senior Bowl. I'm very confused on how I feel about that. I think at first I didn't like it, because I know the NCAA won't do anything to an individual player who is no longer in the NCAA, but on the other hand, I love the support he is showing for their Native American logo that is now gone.

chief-illiniwek-helmet-hugh-thornton.jpg

As good as place as any ...

An interesting analysis on how the NC$$ might be facing its own little Waterloo in the Ed O'Bannon antitrust case.

http://www.grantland...obannon-vs-ncaa

This is the one they can't stop. There's no negotiating a way out. There are no teenagers to intimidate, no coaches to knuckle, no administrators to cajole, no probation to be levied. The athletes have found a fair and level field on which to contest the NCAA's control over their lives, and the stakes are as high as they can be. And the public has started to turn around on the issue, too. For the NCAA to survive in its current form, it has to win this lawsuit or get the lawsuit dismissed. There's no third alternative. The NCAA can't settle and then go back to the status quo ante. It can't pay off O'Bannon and Russell and Robertson and all the rest of them, and then start business as usual again as regards Cody Zeller or Kenny Boynton. If it loses the lawsuit, the effect on the NCAA's financial structure would be profound.

• 1 month later...