SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible Changes To NCAA Tourney

watchmaker49

I think that week is also used for travel plans

Doubtful. B-ball regionals end Mar 31 and Final Four starts April 6. Wouldn't you think basketball teams would need just as much planning time if that we're the case for hockey? I believe the extra week for hockey is to avoid conflict with basketball.

Doubtful. B-ball regionals end Mar 31 and Final Four starts April 6. Wouldn't you think basketball teams would need just as much planning time if that we're the case for hockey? I believe the extra week for hockey is to avoid conflict with basketball.

BB is a part of it....but hockey regionals would end on a sunday and frozen four starts on a thurs...too quick of a turnaround for teams. So at best a team gets home late sunday,possibly early monday from a region championship game and would leave tuesday for the Frozen four. BB final four starts almost a whole week sat/mon games from the end of the regional final.

Best format is to have #1 seeds host regionals. Take a week off, after conference tournaments, to set up sites and for teams and fans to put together travel plans. Season will be a week longer, but would have to be a week longer using a best of three format.

Best option. You earn a number one seed you earn the home ice advantage. This way teams like Minnesota and BC don't fall into a regional they're city hosts. BC is always in Worcester.....always. Wouldn't mind seeing them have to go to Mariucci or Miami to find their way to the frozen four.

How much travel planning is involved is a question mark. The hotel rooms are already booked for whoever. The plane is reserved just destinations unknown.

exactly. why would it take a full week or so for travels plans in hockey but BB gets it done in less than week going from the regional finals to the final four. doesn't make sense.

BB is a part of it....but hockey regionals would end on a sunday and frozen four starts on a thurs...too quick of a turnaround for teams. So at best a team gets home late sunday,possibly early monday from a region championship game and would leave tuesday for the Frozen four. BB final four starts almost a whole week sat/mon games from the end of the regional final.

I'm not against a change in playoff format, but you can't schedule 3-game weekends for 3 or 4 weeks in a row, the kids are beat up by the end of the year and either the conference tournaments are going to have to be changed to less games or they are going to have to take a week off between the conference tournaments and the start of the NCAA tournament...you cannot expect them to play 9 games in 17 days, it's not sensible or responsible.

exactly. why would it take a full week or so for travels plans in hockey but BB gets it done in less than week going from the regional finals to the final four. doesn't make sense.

I wonder though if they could get the number of rooms they would need for a team on short notice in GF on a weekend?

I'm not against a change in playoff format, but you can't schedule 3-game weekends for 3 or 4 weeks in a row, the kids are beat up by the end of the year and either the conference tournaments are going to have to be changed to less games or they are going to have to take a week off between the conference tournaments and the start of the NCAA tournament...you cannot expect them to play 9 games in 17 days, it's not sensible or responsible.

I agree that between the final regional and the frozen four they would need an entire week off.

The NCAA Ice Hockey Committee chairman and associate athletic director at Notre Dame recently told NCAA.com that he would like to see the first round be a best-of-three series at the home venue of the top seed.

They're only talking about the first round and that would be cool... I don't think it would be that hard to do...

But then what happens to the 2nd round? A regional final as a single game at a neutral site would draw a lot less than the current regional format.

Exactly. That's why we don't need to go to best-of-three at home sights. Keep the format the same (16-team, single elimination), but let the #1 seeds host. Attendance would sky rocket, and more than likely you'd have the best four teams at the Frozen Four.
  • Upvote 1

But then what happens to the 2nd round? A regional final as a single game at a neutral site would draw a lot less than the current regional format.

not if you don't have them in stupid locations like toledo and fort wayne. if you held them in places like st. paul, denver,omaha, milwaukee, worscetser(sp), manchester, providence and upper new york you would have pretty decent attendance especially if there were only two regional sites. each site gets one day and two games for the right to go to the frozen four. sounds pretty good to me.

not if you don't have them in stupid locations like toledo and fort wayne. if you held them in places like st. paul, denver,omaha, milwaukee, worscetser(sp), manchester, providence and upper new york you would have pretty decent attendance especially if there were only two regional sites. each site gets one day and two games for the right to go to the frozen four. sounds pretty good to me.

So then why not just make it a "Frozen Eight" all on one weekend. You take 2 weeks between the first round best of 3 hosted by the higher seeds then you have 8 fanbases converging on a major market (rotate between Denver, Chicago, Twin Cities, Detroit, Boston, New York, etc.). Using the current Top 16 and assuming all the seeds hold you'd have a tourament that looks like this:

First Round - Best of 3

St Cloud at Boston College

Yale at New Hampshire

Denver at Notre Dame

Union at Minnesota

Omaha at Miami

Cornell at BU

Dartmouth at UND

Quinnipiac at Western Michigan

Frozen Eight Day 1 - An all day college hockey extravaganza in Madison Square Garden or some other major NHL venue.

Frozen Eight Day 2 - Two more games and you eliminate the day off for the fans.

Frozen Eight Day 3 - Hobey Baker Trophy presentation in the early afternoon with the National Championship game to follow in prime time.

• Upvote 1

I'm just not sure I'd want to see the National Championship be between two teams playing their third game in a back-to-back-to-back.

Who cares as long as both teams have had to do it? Nobody would have an edge. And these are 18-22 year olds we are talking about; I think they can handle it without keeling over.

Who cares as long as both teams have had to do it? Nobody would have an edge. And these are 18-22 year olds we are talking about; I think they can handle it without keeling over.

I don't know...I prefer to watch champions play at their best, not on tired legs.

Wilbur, in 2011 Boston College was smoked in the opening round of the NCAA's by Colorado College...and it wasnt in Worcester!

Yeah.....besides 2011, lets look where the regionals were....Not too much travel for BC other than that one year.

Last ten years:

2012...Worcester....

2011....St. Louis...

2010....Worcester....

2009....Didn't qualify

2008...Worcester...

2007...New Hampshire....close to home

2006....Worcester....

2005....Worcester....

2004....New Hampshire....

2003....Rhode Island

2002....Didn't qualify

Five out of the eight times they qualified it was in Mass. Seven of eight times it was an east coast location for them.