SiouxSports.com Forum

SWSiouxMN

There is no way this team is better without Huff and Traylor. Absurd for you people to truly believe that. A guy gets hurt, we stay in a close game, now we're starting a conversation such as "this team doesn't need Huff". You guys have know idea what basketball is. We can win the big sky without Huff in the lineup. Let's not forget we also beat a SDSU team last year at home, with Huff in the lineup. As far as Traylor...you guys are going to judge his talent and say we don't need him, because of a close game. Ludicrous!

You always get so upset when anybody says something even remotely negative about Huff. I wish I knew what your connection to him is. Huff is no doubt our most athletic player and arguably our best. My issues have always been with him and everyone else is he is not a team player most of the time. Look at the stats and our balance in last nights game against one of the best teams in the summit on the road. The most shots any of our starters took was 9 and the least 5, what great balance. We shot 51% from the field, 50% from 3 and 83% from the line. Huff has to realize he does not have to shot 15-20 times a game at a very marginal percent for us to win. We have other players that can play the game and shoot. Thats always been my issue with Huff, too many bad shots while others are standing wide open. If he ever realizes this, with him back we will be a top contender in the Big Sky because he can be one of the best in the Big Sky. He has to make the committment to the team and not himself. One more note from last nights game, Webb has got to limit his turnovers. Again I believe he had 6 and that is again way too many. Tough loss and what a lucky shot at the end but I was impressed with how we played.

• Upvote 3

It's tough when you're in a hole like we are in right now (1-4), but if we play like we did vs. SDSU for the rest of the season and we return Traylor and Huff, we'll work our way right back into the thick of things and be fine in the Big Sky.

This one just stings cause it would've been a great way to end the difficult 3-game road grind.

It's tough when you're in a hole like we are in right now (1-4), but if we play like we did vs. SDSU for the rest of the season and we return Traylor and Huff, we'll work our way right back into the thick of things and be fine the Big Sky.

This one just stings cause it would've been a great way to end the difficult 3-game road grind.

I agree, we should have gotten that one last night. However, the next 4 games will not be as much of a grind as these 3 were.

UMKC

@NDSU

Presentation

@SUU

With this stretch we can I am expecting to get out of this at least 3-1, and getting to 4-0 will depend on how well we play down in Fargo.

I agree, we should have gotten that one last night. However, the next 4 games will not be as much of a grind as these 3 were.

@SUU

With this stretch we can I am expecting to get out of this at least 3-1, and getting to 4-0 will depend on how well we play down in Fargo.

If we want to be part of March Madness...it starts with this game!!

Did Coach Nagy really say that the Jacks "played to the level of their competition"? Wow.

Hopefully SDSU and UND will be playing in GF next year. Without Wolters and with UND returning virtually everybody, I would like UND's chances.

You'd think Nagy would have learned a little more humility considering his awful record in SDSU's first six years as a division I program (60-119).

Sioux2013, it's not about a connection. Because if you guys bashed Shuler or Allard the way you do this kid, I would take up for them as well. It amazes me how you guys criticize a kid that has done nothing short of help this team win and play hard. Does he take shots, yes. It's called being a scorer. You guys also kill me with this "Jones on the hot seat talk". That's just a bunch of bs. This team loses a few games to quality programs now he's on the hot seat. In all actuality, Jones built this program and isn't going anywhere. You guys criticize anyone who has a bad game. Just as you did sioux2013, bashed Anderson a couple weeks ago, about how bad he was doing and how much of a screw up he was. Let's these guys play ball. It seems to me the negative ones that are ALWAYS negative are the ones that got cut from there high school teams and feel the need to criticize collegiate athletes. Want to criticize? How about going over to the Bison blog and do it there. A guy gets his jaw broke for the team, now you say how much of selfish player he is, really?

Sioux2013, it's not about a connection. Because if you guys bashed Shuler or Allard the way you do this kid, I would take up for them as well. It amazes me how you guys criticize a kid that has done nothing short of help this team win and play hard. Does he take shots, yes. It's called being a scorer. You guys also kill me with this "Jones on the hot seat talk". That's just a bunch of bs. This team loses a few games to quality programs now he's on the hot seat. In all actuality, Jones built this program and isn't going anywhere. You guys criticize anyone who has a bad game. Just as you did sioux2013, bashed Anderson a couple weeks ago, about how bad he was doing and how much of a screw up he was. Let's these guys play ball. It seems to me the negative ones that are ALWAYS negative are the ones that got cut from there high school teams and feel the need to criticize collegiate athletes. Want to criticize? How about going over to the Bison blog and do it there. A guy gets his jaw broke for the team, now you say how much of selfish player he is, really?

There is a difference between saying someone played poorly and saying someone is a poor player. As has been said multiple times, the reason people point out Huff is because they see his athletic potential and how great of a player he could be and they wish he would consistently be that player.

Sorry but I dont believe that second line of yours. Whats going to be interesting is when Huff comes back, yes he will be in the starting linup but where does Schuler go. In his 4 starts for Huff he has numbers better than Huff ever has. Schuler is shooting55% from the field, 41% from 3, 75% from the line and is averaging 12.2 pts/game and his assist to turnover ration is 3 to 1. Those are very impressive and numbers Huff has never gotten to, except scoring. I know Huff will start but Jones has a big decison on what to do with Schuler. In fact the lineup change Jones did last night appeared to work very well and maybe further changes are coming. Now that these players are beginning to come together can Huff play unselfish cause if he doesnt I know who will quickly be in for him. Sportsmatic, you cannot deny that Huff plays very selfish alot of times in every game. If you cant see that then you are not watching the same games as us.

It really looked like we were going to put to bed our two biggest issues from last year (free throw shooting and winning on the road) last night. But then we choke a free throw and give them a chance at a game winner that goes in. I'm still optimistic because of the way we played but that would've been a huge confidence booster.

Final Thoughts:

-Wilmer and Archer stepped up last night in the biggest way possible. It sounds like they took Jones message about the bigs playing better seriously. Very impressed so far with Wilmer free throw shooting and who knew Archer could shoot the 3! Can these two build off of this performance and can give us more meaninful minutes the rest of the year? If so, look out! Wilmer, you need to quit bobbling the ball in the post, you can easily average another 2-4 ppg if you can catch them clean. Not all of them are your fault, but you need to get better

-Allard: Well, you hit a 3. Struggled mighty due to foul trouble. Need to stay out of trouble

-Brekke: focused on a little bit more, ending up with 8 points. So far looks much better from the line. I like that he is taking more 15 footers cause he needs to make more of these to prevent people from sagging on him down low. His near 3 pointer looked good as well, but just rimmed out. Didn't really commit any stupid fouls, but still need to work on staying out of foul trouble as well. At least he is finally scoring, but still looking for his breakout performance.

-Antwi: He only took 3 shots, and was in foul trouble as well, but he hit 2 very big shots. That mid range shot he took and stuck shows me how much his confidence has improved, he more than likely airballs that one last year. That last shot that won it for SDSU, you can't play any better D than he did. If you were 6'3, no way that goes in.

-Anderson: Whoever had Anderson as the teams leading rebounder please tell me Saturdays powerball numbers. He struggled on his shooting, mainly cause he was trying to drive on the trees again. I know why he is trying to because the kid right now is lights out from the line, but isn't getting the calls right now. A/TO ratio is 2:1

-Schuler: Continues to be consistent for us, which is much needed. Spend a lot of time on his mid-range game. Kinda got a bad roll on his first free throw attempt. Hit a couple of clutch shots in the 2nd half.

-Webb: Don't know where to begin here, never seen such a rough start (2 airball, 4 TO). Looked better in the 2nd half, but I feel for the kid of that free throw. Needs to cut down on the TOs, but compared to what he has been, he is starting to turn it around slowly.

Team:

-Shot the ball efficienly

-While the last free throw hurt, we were once again very good from the line (13-16 81.8%), as a team for the season we are at 73.5%, which is tied for 72nd in the nation right now. A lot of guys so far this year have looked good from the line, but have to remember there is still a lot of the season to go, but this is very promising.

-Key Stat: SDSU 23-30 UND 13-16 (SDSU +10)

-Played a good 34-35 minutes, but you can't start like you did on the road in the Big Sky.

-Even on the boards once again

-This is a much improved team that will be coming back to Grand Forks, we went from a pathetic performance against UNI, to a near comeback against Hawaii, to a solid performance but lost to a heartbreaker against SDSU. If they keep this performance up, then add Huff and Traylor back into the mix... we are going to cause some headaches

Take a lot of positives away from this, that is a very hard way to go down, but you guys played a really tough opponent on the road in a hostile environment and you almost pulled it out, it took a desperation 3 with like 3 guys in his face to beat you guys, sometimes you just get lucky and unlucky breaks, the good news is the season is young and there is still a lot of basketball yet to be played. You guys continue to play like this, you guys will be one of the tops in the conference this year

Take a lot of positives away from this, you guys played a really tough opponent on the road in a hostile environment and you almost pulled it out. You guys will be one of the tops in the conference this year

Thanks, and nice job last night knocking off Dayton. Solid win for you guys

It really looked like we were going to put to bed our two biggest issues from last year (free throw shooting and winning on the road) last night. But then we choke a free throw and give them a chance at a game winner that goes in. I'm still optimistic because of the way we played but that would've been a huge confidence booster.

The confidence should now be there with the 2nd half of the Hawii game and this game. They are looking more and more solid with each outing and the players are starting to work together. Wilmer and Archer were huge last night and if we can even get close to that kind of effort out of them the rest of the year with the addition of Huff and Traylor this team could be a tough out in the Big Sky tournament. I expected us to be 1-4 at this point when I first saw the schedule but we are getting better fast.

Take a lot of positives away from this, that is a very hard way to go down, but you guys played a really tough opponent on the road in a hostile environment and you almost pulled it out, it took a desperation 3 with like 3 guys in his face to beat you guys, sometimes you just get lucky and unlucky breaks, the good news is the season is young and there is still a lot of basketball yet to be played. You guys continue to play like this, you guys will be one of the tops in the conference this year

Thanks and a huge road win against a very good team out of the A-10, expecially on the road. Looking forward to having your team at our place.

Thanks and a huge road win against a very good team out of the A-10, expecially on the road. Looking forward to having your team at our place.

Likewise, I cant wait for the first ever Weber State/North Dakota game the best part is I actually get to see it in person.

Nice. Is this your first post on the basketball forum? UND played a great game last night against a quality team on the road and lost on a hail mary shot and you want Jones fired. Team is shaping up for a big run in the conference.

I'm pretty sure Northcountry's post was intended as sarcasm.

• Upvote 1