SiouxSports.com Forum

Pre Spring 2013 Team Outlook

geaux_sioux

Given the time of year it is, there has been a lot of attention on the construction of UND’s 2013 recruiting class. With that being said, the improvement of the defense in 2013 will largely rely on not this year’s recruiting class, but rather last year’s class. So, I decided to take a look at some redshirt freshmen who will have an opportunity to play on defense in 2013 year, and hopefully, be a part of a defensive rejuvenation.

Defensive Line

DE Alec Carrothers , 6-3, 240

I think Carrothers has an opportunity to see significant playing time, if not start at one of the vacated defensive end spots. I would expect him to be around 250+ by the start of fall camp and that makes for an intriguing prospect. Also, a word of caution in that we are losing three starting defensive linemen from the 2012 team – it will not be easy to simply plug in younger players and improve. With that said, Carrothers has the potential to be a real good one during his time at UND.

NT Mike Edwards, 6-2, 290(++)

Edwards has been receiving a lot of praise since his surprising and impressive play last fall. If it wasn’t for the 2-deep depth at NT with Benjamin and Henson, he likely would’ve got his redshirt pulled. Like Carrothers, he has an opportunity to be a major staple of the UND defensive line for the next 4 years. However, also like Carrothers, he is only a R. Fr. so it is important to understand he may not be overwhelmingly dominant right away, but for UND defense’s sake, everyone hopes so.

++ - Edwards is listed at 290, but that is a bit of an understatement

DE Devon Hall, 6-3, 245

Hall has the size to contribute next year, but I’m not quite sure he is in the same category as Carrothers and Edwards. Like Carrothers, he likely has put on some weight and hopefully he can contribute some in 2013.

* Although these three freshmen are talented, it is important to understand last year’s line was held down by three seniors. Because of that, I wouldn’t expect too much improvement immediately in 2013, but over time, the line could reach a level of play that is quite acceptable. In no particular order, Spencer Cummings, Aaron Hartung, Ben Henson, Seth Stanchik, EJ Welch, and Kyle Woodsmall will all be in the mix as well, so the DL has an opportunity to improve from last year due to simply increased experience.

Linebackers

LB JD Allen, 6-1, 195

This guy has his roots in Texas football, so I believe he has quality potential. In his case and all the other freshmen linebackers, playing time won’t come easy in 2013 due to a plethora of seniors and juniors at the linebacking corps.

LB Brian Labat, 6-2, 200

A teammate of Joe Mollbergs back in high school, Labat is similar to Allen in that he has potential to be a good one at UND. In 2013, however, his playing time will be largely on special teams.

EDIT: It appears Brian Labat has been really excelling during his time at UND thus far, both in the weight room and more importantly the classroom. There may be more opportunities for Labat this fall than I originally anticipated.

LB Taj Rich, 6-2, 215

Rich could be a leading candidate to step in and fill Dominique Bennett’s, Damon Andrew’s, or Cordero Finley’s shoes after the 2013 season. He has the ability to be a good pass rusher from one of the 3-4 outside backer spots.

*The freshmen linebackers have potential, but in 2013 the LB group will belong to the seniors and juniors. Last year, the LB play was not where it needed to be, but I have the upmost confidence that this group will return with valuable experience and improved play. The group for 2013 includes Damon Andrews, Dominique Bennett, Cordero Finley, Derrick Goard, Garrison Goodman, Brian Otto, and Ben Peters. With all of those experienced players returning for 2013, it’s hard not to expect increased linebacker play.

Defensive Backs

S Ryan Cain, 6-0, 190

Cain could see some valuable time at the safety spot next season. The starting spots will probably belong to Will Lewis and Baylee Carr, but including Cain in the rotation could largely improve the secondary.

S Javen Butler, 6-2, 190 (sophomore)

Butler will actually be a sophomore in 2013, but since he missed an entire semester, he has been a little behind and I consider him more a freshman for 2013 than a sophomore. If Butler can play along the lines of the reputation that preceded him back in high school, he could really be a difference maker. He has the size and ability to be a great run defender, and given last year’s run defense, having a good run support safety could really help out the defense in 2013.

CB Dan Konowalski, 5-11, 170

Konowalski has an opportunity to help out on special teams in 2013, but he likely won’t see a lot of CB time until 2014, when Chris Hall and Chavon Mackey have departed.

*The CB spot is quite cemented at the current time, which is somewhat of a disappointment given last year’s often horrific corner play. Jr. Daryl Brown along with seniors Chris Hall and Chavon Mackey will likely get most of the playing time. Wild cards include So Chris Brown, So Dwayne Brown, and So. Rumeal Harris – it would be a very good thing if one of those guys could step up and surprise. The safety spot is where we could see some new faces in the rotation. Cain and Butler will likely rotate in behind Carr and Lewis, but perhaps even true freshman Cole Reyes will see some time there. Nevertheless, this defensive secondary unit has to improve given the passing ability of Big Sky teams.

Overall, I feel the experience coming back at LB is a huge strength for the defense in 2013. Hopefully, the LBs play like a new confident group, and the 2013 redshirt freshmen were the missing pieces needed to get higher quality defensive play.

• Upvote 3

I think you may have undersold Labat a little bit. I saw him this winter and he looked absolutely jacked. He's got to be pushing 230. I would expect him to push Peters and Rittelle for playing time.

He was 225 lbs at Christmas. According the coaches if they would have pulled a redshirt off a LB last fall it would ahve been LaBat. One of his strengths is he is very smart. (4.o first semester). He will be in the rotation.

He was 225 lbs at Christmas. According the coaches if they would have pulled a redshirt off a LB last fall it would ahve been LaBat. One of his strengths is he is very smart. (4.o first semester). He will be in the rotation.

I've yet to hear a bad thing about him.*

* from players or coaches**

** not parents

So are both Labat and Allen ILB? And Rich is OLB? I feel that our ILB core needs some help. I really like Garrison Goodman, but the rest I'm still not sold on. Peters and Ratelle have some potential, but I was really unimpressed with Otto last year. Similar to Mersereau, there were too many times that I saw him completely whiff on a tackle. So, I think Labat or Allen should be able to get in on the rotation if they are what we think they are. As it relates to the DL, I don't think Henson is the answer. He didn't seem to do much last year, so I'm hoping that Edwards is the man. I think we have some pretty good DE in the pipeline with Cummings, Woodsmall and Stanchek, but hope that Carrothers can push for playing time. For DBs, I'm really hoping that Javen Butler is a stud this year. I'm not convinced Bailey Carr is a D1 safety. And I won't even touch the CB situation, as I don't believe that Mackey and Hall would start at a lot of DII schools. I still can't believe that Mackey has been starting for a couple of years. I'm hoping Dwayne Brown lives up to the potential I heard about during his true freshman year.

I do have a question - is Tyhre Ivery playing safety or CB?

So are both Labat and Allen ILB? And Rich is OLB? I feel that our ILB core needs some help. I really like Garrison Goodman, but the rest I'm still not sold on. Peters and Ratelle have some potential, but I was really unimpressed with Otto last year. Similar to Mersereau, there were too many times that I saw him completely whiff on a tackle. So, I think Labat or Allen should be able to get in on the rotation if they are what we think they are. As it relates to the DL, I don't think Henson is the answer. He didn't seem to do much last year, so I'm hoping that Edwards is the man. I think we have some pretty good DE in the pipeline with Cummings, Woodsmall and Stanchek, but hope that Carrothers can push for playing time. For DBs, I'm really hoping that Javen Butler is a stud this year. I'm not convinced Bailey Carr is a D1 safety. And I won't even touch the CB situation, as I don't believe that Mackey and Hall would start at a lot of DII schools. I still can't believe that Mackey has been starting for a couple of years. I'm hoping Dwayne Brown lives up to the potential I heard about during his true freshman year.

I do have a question - is Tyhre Ivery playing safety or CB?

Ivery was a safety last season. Not sure if he's fast enough for cb. If he is or could be I would throw him out there in an instant with his length and ball skills.

Allen needs to gain a lot of weight before he'll be a factor at ilb. Peters disappointed last season. I'm looking for Rittelle to be the other starter there next fall if Labat doesn't leap frog them.

Are there any PWO from last year that could make an impact this year? I've heard a lot of good things about Devin Coyle, who I believe is a safety. What about Brandon Larson or Jake Watson at LB? I guess I haven't heard anything about any of the PWO except Coyle.

Spring game should be our first good look at last year's PWOs. Fall camp is the only place we've seen any of them on the field and they looked very raw as you would expect a PWO to be in there first camp. They'll get a fair shake at the spring game as they had a whole season of practice time and will have most of an offseason's worth in the weight room.

I have some good news regarding the WRs for this next season. JJ Robertson is officially the fastest guy on the team. I've heard it's not even close and that his initial step is an explosion. Also he is very well built for a WR already. Mollberg and Bartels have themselves quite the opportunity.

I have some good news regarding the WRs for this next season. JJ Robertson is officially the fastest guy on the team. I've heard it's not even close and that his initial step is an explosion. Also he is very well built for a WR already. Mollberg and Bartels have themselves quite the opportunity.

Do you have any idea of what his time were? This is AWESOME news BTW!

He talks about "next step to the NFL" on his Facebook page so apparently confidence is not a problem, the Robertson-Hardin duo has potential to be one of the best in FCS.

Heard the same thing. The comment I heard was that he's showing why he originally signed in the B1G on signing day. Of course, these are just workouts and it needs to translate onto the football field obviously before we start anointing anyone. Exciting nonetheless.

So if he doesn't redshirt, you have: Hardin, McGill, Jackson, Golladay, Townsend and now Robertson? Gonna be a battle to even step on the field there.

Romon Bridges, Pat Brown, Anthony Fletcher and Casey Young will have to wait their turn I guess.

And this fall we presumably add Aeron Carr.

Heard the same thing. The comment I heard was that he's showing why he originally signed in the B1G on signing day. Of course, these are just workouts and it needs to translate onto the football field obviously before we start anointing anyone. Exciting nonetheless.

So if he doesn't redshirt, you have: Hardin, McGill, Jackson, Golladay, Townsend and now Robertson? Gonna be a battle to even step on the field there.

Romon Bridges, Pat Brown, Anthony Fletcher and Casey Young will have to wait their turn I guess.

And this fall we presumably add Aeron Carr.

Depth breeds competition for playing time which leads to greatness. The opposite situation is why our corners suck. We need to model other position groups after our wrs. They will all be better because of the competition and hopefully that creates a courageous competitive atmosphere with the whole team

• Upvote 1

Considering Robertson's potential given his initial signing with Illinois, this is great news. It means he hasn't slowed or weakened since high school and he's ready to contribute right away. Due to the current WR corps, I'm not sure he'll get that playing opportunity right away in 2013, and the only variables to consider now are the QBs and O-line. I have confidence either Bartels or Mollberg will rise from the competition and prove to be the guy, so ultimately it comes down to O-line play. If Mussman and the rest of the coaches can come up with a cohesive and effective O-line combination, then the 2013 team has a chance to be really explosive with the passing game.

Now, with that said, in order to win most of our games in 2013 the defense has to be the real improvement from last season.

Depth breeds competition for playing time which leads to greatness. The opposite situation is why our corners suck. We need to model other position groups after our wrs. They will all be better because of the competition and hopefully that creates a courageous competitive atmosphere with the whole team

We're seeing the beginning of that building block at the QB spot also. The coaches very easily could've looked at Mollberg, Bartels, and Hanson and said "We're good, we've got these guys for the next couple years. Let's focus our efforts somewhere else." But they went out and signed a quality guy in Riddle and had their eyes on a few other guys. Shows me that they're being aggressive and not settling for the status quo. That's exactly the attitude we're going to need if we're going to see an improvement in the team next year both on the defensive side of the ball and overall.

I just got contacted the other day from UND about season tickets. I told them send me some info. I only go to a couple games a year but with 7 to pick from I hope to attend more. Has anyone else been contacted about season tickets? I think its a good sign that they start this early to get people on the season ticket list.