SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Thoughts on 2012 Season

bincitysioux

At the end of the 2011 season, this program was one QB away from being a very good team.

At the end of the 2012 season, it appears this program is an entire defense away from being a very good team.

Got off to a fast start in 2012, but then sputtered. Depth is still a major issue as far as I can tell, specifically in the secondary. Not sure if the 3-4 is the right scheme in the Big Sky.

Plenty of positives, but even more negatives, given the "turnaround" for the worse on the defensive side of the ball.

Discuss................

Copied from Fire Muss thread:

Knowing this is a little, but only a little, off topic ... Why didn't Hendrickson get more starts when UND stalled in the last half of the season? Seems to me his numbers were better than Hanson. At least the won-lost record was, but not going to go back and analyze the passing stats or yards per game totals for the team. Hendrickson added that extra dimension to the game that kept the defenses off balance. Seems like another 'mid game' correction that Mussman is unwilling or unable to make when his game plan wasn't working.

Simply stated...It was a season of missed opportunities squandered away by inept coaching and leadership. The athletes deserved better and so did the fans.

I just wanted to hear one time from Muss...."We got outcoached." Just one time.....just once.

• Upvote 1

Copied from Fire Muss thread:

Knowing this is a little, but only a little, off topic ... Why didn't Hendrickson get more starts when UND stalled in the last half of the season? Seems to me his numbers were better than Hanson. At least the won-lost record was, but not going to go back and analyze the passing stats or yards per game totals for the team. Hendrickson added that extra dimension to the game that kept the defenses off balance. Seems like another 'mid game' correction that Mussman is unwilling or unable to make when his game plan wasn't working.

Ehhh, I dunno... Braden's 68.2% completion rate versus Marcus's 56.0%...I'll take the better passer. Yes, Marcus adds a rushing threat, but I'm certainly glad Braden got his shot to start the games in the second half of the season. But then again, I'm heavily biased. UND was not far at all from being 4-1 in their last five games.

Ehhh, I dunno... Braden's 68.2% completion rate versus Marcus's 56.0%...I'll take the better passer. Yes, Marcus adds a rushing threat, but I'm certainly glad Braden got his shot to start the games in the second half of the season. But then again, I'm heavily biased. UND was not far at all from being 4-1 in their last five games.

The what if game with this team and season has too many options. What if Braden never got hurt? Do we beat Poly and EWU and NAU and SDSU? Do we make the playoffs? Or what if Marcus hadn't been in the dog house last year? Would he have been good enough for Braden to have not transferred here? O, and what if the refs noticed that Northern Colorado had 10 in the box with two CBs on that play...... I could go on all day.

I'm just grateful that both guys finally got their opportunity and both did very well.

• Upvote 1

The what if game with this team and season has too many options. What if Braden never got hurt? Do we beat Poly and EWU and NAU and SDSU? Do we make the playoffs? Or what if Marcus hadn't been in the dog house last year? Would he have been good enough for Braden to have not transferred here? O, and what if the refs noticed that Northern Colorado had 10 in the box with two CBs on that play...... I could go on all day.

I'm just grateful that both guys finally got their opportunity and both did very well.

Exactly, and as far as I'm concerned, they are both true Fighting Sioux. Nice that both finally had a chance to show that they are both very capable starting quarterbacks. Braden's name could be in the Big Sky record books for a while.

it's ok by me. Either way, UND had a couple of good options, just want to stir the pot a bit ;) Hanson put up some of the best QB numbers UND has had in the short time he was able to play here, however, Hendrickson had a pretty darn good first half of the year too. Guess we can understand why Joey Bradley left.

it's ok by me. Either way, UND had a couple of good options, just want to stir the pot a bit ;) Hanson put up some of the best QB numbers UND has had in the short time he was able to play here, however, Hendrickson had a pretty darn good first half of the year too. Guess we can't understand why Joey Bradley was ever recruited.

Fixed your post

Fixed your post

So Geaux... You are more connected than I am; and definitely more observant...

What is the coaching staff's heartburn with Hendrickson? Why didn't he get playing time last year (2011)? I sure thought he was impressive when he had an opportunity on game day this year.

So Geaux... You are more connected than I am; and definitely more observant...

What is the coaching staff's heartburn with Hendrickson? Why didn't he get playing time last year (2011)? I sure thought he was impressive when he had an opportunity on game day this year.

From my understanding it was maturity maturity maturity and maturity. Mussman was singing Marcus' praises this year and how much he had matured from his first day on campus. Maybe he was just a little too young dumb and full of............... pride?

Muss needs to get his act together and get this program on track soon or we are looking at a lost decade of Sioux Football. How we go through a year with a defense that looks like ours did is beyond me. I have seen high school programs that were much more assignment sharp and ready to play than we were - not to mention better tacklers. It seems like a good many are ready to settle for mediocrity and have adjusted expectations down. What has Muss shown this far that makes you think he will lead us to the top?

Muss needs to get his act together and get this program on track soon or we are looking at a lost decade of Sioux Football. How we go through a year with a defense that looks like ours did is beyond me. I have seen high school programs that were much more assignment sharp and ready to play than we were - not to mention better tacklers. It seems like a good many are ready to settle for mediocrity and have adjusted expectations down. What has Muss shown this far that makes you think he will lead us to the top?

^^^^^…this!!!

Most true UND FB fans are with you on this but there still is a small band that feel Muss has program headed in the right direction. 5 yrs and where has he really taken this program??? Another 2 yrs of 5-6 or 6-5 and then a coaching change will definitely be a decade lost.

^^^^^…this!!!

Most true UND FB fans are with you on this but there still is a small band that feel Muss has program headed in the right direction. 5 yrs and where has he really taken this program??? Another 2 yrs of 5-6 or 6-5 and then a coaching change will definitely be a decade lost.

Could you send me a memo outlining the criteria that I need to meet so I can become a "true UND FB fan" like you?

• Upvote 2

^^^^^…this!!!

I don't have a good or bad opinion on Mussman either way, he seems to be a good recruiter and his play calling has been improving. That being said though, I have noticed a trend on defense the last couple of years that became a serious problem this season. The last couple of seasons I have seen a steady decline in how good the defense has been at the basics which to me are gap coverage and tackling. This defense was horrible at both this year and that to me is the main problem. Every bad defense that I have ever seen has these two problems which tells me that a new defensive coordinator is in order.

I don't care what excuses are made but I will be more then dissapointed if this coaching staff doesn't see any changes for next season, the D-coordinator needs to be fired immediately for the pathetic coaching that was done last year. There were some highly recruited kids playing this year on defense and they were highly recruited for a reason, it is just a shame that they aren't being coached properly..........end of rant

Could you send me a memo outlining the criteria that I need to meet so I can become a "true UND FB fan" like you?

Simple...One that is neither an apologist or an enabler for the mediocrity that has taken over this program the last 5 yrs.

I get you are in that small band I referenced and that's fine but again that is the minority by far of the season ticket holders, alum and FB fans I know or have talked to.

• Upvote 3

I don't care what excuses are made but I will be more then dissapointed if this coaching staff doesn't see any changes for next season, the D-coordinator needs to be fired immediately for the pathetic coaching that was done last year. There were some highly recruited kids playing this year on defense and they were highly recruited for a reason, it is just a shame that they aren't being coached properly..........end of rant

This isn't intended to be rude or anything but shouldn't it instead be a shame that the players decided not to tackle? I understand coaches have to work on it but tackling is pretty instinctive...

This isn't intended to be rude or anything but shouldn't it instead be a shame that the players decided not to tackle? I understand coaches have to work on it but tackling is pretty instinctive...

I think it's safe to say that no one knows quite what to think of the lack of tackling we saw this year. Is it lack of talent, lack of speed, poor defensive schemes, coaching, lack of concentration, lack of leadership and pride, or probably a little of all. You are right, at this level all defensive players should know how to tackle. And, after one or two poor showings you would think they would have gotten their acts together. All we know is that we expected a fairly salty defense this year and instead this bizarro team showed up and stayed all year. The total inability to solve this problem makes me wonder.

Simple...One that is neither an apologist or an enabler for the mediocrity that has taken over this program the last 5 yrs.

I get you are in that small band I referenced and that's fine but again that is the minority by far of the season ticket holders, alum and FB fans I know or have talked to.

And like all who talk in an echo chamber you keep hearing the same voices saying the same things and think that is the true picture of reality. There are problems that need to be addressed - the empirical evidence exists. If adjustments are not made, I may walk into the chamber with you but am not willing to do so based on the disappointments of one season in the conference.

but am not willing to do so based on the disappointments of one season in the conference.

One season is your body of work to reference?? So be it....but what about the previous 4 seasons under Muss? Or are you still glowing from the co-champ GW (5 team league) crown of 2011 season? Keep your eyes fixed on the tree and soon you'll be chanting "we were close" as well.

One season is your body of work to reference?? So be it....but what about the previous 4 seasons under Muss? Or are you still glowing from the co-champ GW (5 team league) crown of 2011 season? Keep your eyes fixed on the tree and soon you'll be chanting "we were close" as well.

Prior to this season what frame of reference did the coaching staff have to make preparations against? What selling points did they have for recruits? How do you sell a program to kids when you can't tell them what they will be competing for and who they will be competing against? How quickly do we expect recruits to become ready? What I am saying is that now, after a season in the Big Sky, most of these questions now have answers and if the coaching staff cannot move upward from where we are - THEN we need to start thinking about changes. As I said there is evidence of problems (I am not a Pollyanna) but to expect instant perfection, then not allow for adjustments to be made is to exclude every coach not named Rockne. As for the glowing from the co-championship - That team won the only thing available for it to win - what more would you want?

• Upvote 2