SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 6 EWU

geaux_sioux

i feel so bad for marcus it makes me sick...starts out with a nice td drive and his reward? take a seat for a guy that can hardly run?

I agree. I recognize that Hanson is the pure passer and Hendrickson is the athlete. I don't fault the staff wanting to get Hanson playing time, I just don't like how they went about it. They probably decided early in the week that Hanson would play this week. Well, IMO, considering the way Hendrickson has played this season, then they must think quite highly of Hanson. Given that, Mussman should have just named him the starter for this game and stuck with him. The way it played out, Hendrickson gets the idea that he can't get the job done, and Hanson feels he can do no wrong. So what happens down the road if Hanson struggles or gets hurt again? You put back in the QB that the staff effectively gave a vote of no-confidence. I think the way they went about it tonight platooning the two quarterbacks, it puts a ton of pressure on Hanson going forward, and if he falters, well then Hendrickson already knows that the staff doesn't think too much of him......................

I think that was the biggest frustration of the night for me (other than the terrible D) was how the QB situation was handed. I understand you want to give Hanson reps. I get that. Marcus lead a great first drive, his second drive was plagued with a drop pass. Then you yank him? The EWU tv guys had an absolute field day on this situation, they pretty much were like "what exactly is UND doing"

On a serious note, anybody hear anything on Goard? What exactly happened on that play?

didn't see what happened on that particular play tonite but back in the portland state game d-goard had the hit of game against that giant qb when he went helmet to helmet (he got a bogus penalty on the play btw) and he got a neck/nerve stinger and its been bothering him since so i'm assuming he did something to really really aggravate tonite..i'm sure he will be just fine

So the 2 questions I pose tonight

Where do we go from here?

How can we turn this thing around?

most people knew that this was most likely a loss before the season started i just don't like the offensive game plan tonite?? it was an absolute joke but from here you pick a qb and stick with him and on defense play the guys that wanna hit someone and i don't how care how young or old they are

To put a bit into perspective on how badly this defense is struggling right now, EWU gained more than 1/3 of their total rushing yards for the season tonight...........................

North Dakota is giving up 274 yards rushing per game against DI opponents..............

Every DI opponent faced has gained more than 200 yards rushing...................

UND is 0-3 in games where they've lost the turnover battle...............

After the first series by each team, my fears about this game were confirmed. I'm glad things turned around in a hurry... I really thought this was going to be a shootout. I hope Goard is okay... never good when they have to bring the ambulance onto the field. Speedy recovery to him, and good luck the rest of the way out. Please put a full game together and beat MSU for us... their D is DEFINITELY suspect.

It was a bad loss to be sure, but I don't think it comes anywhere close to the loss to Sioux Falls as far as Mussman's resume goes.

Losses happen, and some of them can be blow-outs. I remember Central Washington embarrassing us in our own place 9 or 10 years ago by a wide margin.

North Dakota simply ran into a team tonight that is a whole lot better than we are....................

This is becoming a tired old refrain; I call it the "Milktoast" Mike Berg Excuse: "We just ran into a darn good football team out there today". I have had to listen to that crap for five years of a difficult transition and I am sick and tired of it. When are we going to start assuming the role of the "darn good football team"? When are we going to get back to playing snot-nosed, hard-core, old-fashioned butt-kicking North Dakota defense again? Why can we recruit good offensive players and not defensive players? These are questions that Mussman and his staff had better find answers to; otherwise they should start polishing up their resumes.

I certainly didn't expect to be championship contenders right off the bat, but I was hoping we could perform better against "darn good football teams" than this. It is becoming painfully obvious that Mussman's blueprint (assuming there is one) for preparing us for the Big Sky and FCS hasn't worked. When almost every team on your schedule not named SD Mines is "a whole lot better than we are", then it is time to ask questions about the status of the program and if we are going in the right direction.

Having said that, I will continue to support the team and I will be there for every home game the rest of the season. The program needs our support, now more than ever.

I think that was the biggest frustration of the night for me (other than the terrible D) was how the QB situation was handed. I understand you want to give Hanson reps. I get that. Marcus lead a great first drive, his second drive was plagued with a drop pass. Then you yank him? The EWU tv guys had an absolute field day on this situation, they pretty much were like "what exactly is UND doing"

On a serious note, anybody hear anything on Goard? What exactly happened on that play?

based on the last few years, I'm really not sure the coaching staff knows what to do with the quarterback position.

Is anyone shocked at the utter lack of heart and player leadership on this team? Last year the team had 10 times the heart of these guys and it showed. Goska couldn't throw a spiral but he was a leader. Hendrickson was the heart and soul of the defense. The team had an attitude, this year we look like some cupcake Pac 12 school in terms of physicality and heart. The coaches should show some film of NDSU to the team as an example of how the game is supposed to be played. Sure they're NDSU and I couldn't hate them more than I do, but they care so much more about how they play. It sickens me because you can see it in the body language and in the eyes of the players. They will do anything to win or even get on the field for that matter. Out team, D especially plays as if they deserve to be there and don't need to give every ounce of their soul to secure a win. The players should be doing everything possible to guarantee a win and that starts with effort. I'm a glass half full kind of guy for my teams but I really don't like what I saw tonight. It's gut check time, and don't expect a big crowd next week because nobody wants to watch that crap that I sat through tonight.

Not disagreeing but in ANY scenerio leadership starts at the top. 'Nuf said....let's not sugar coat this. It's ultimately a trickle down affect. Look at the last few years under our HC. Not surprised though.

i feel so bad for marcus it makes me sick...starts out with a nice td drive and his reward? take a seat for a guy that can hardly run?

Agree...another mismanagement of a game time decision by the coaching staff. Streamed the game last night. Wasn't impressed w Braden but now the coaching staff HAS to go with him next week after they butchered the QB situation last night.

5 games vs teams other than Mines is a clear indication that:

A) UND has minimal FCS talent on D

B) Tackling drills should be coached at practice

C) Schemes/game planning defensively need to change

D) This D couldn't stop the MHS Spuds ground game

E) All of the above

The Cal Poly game bothers more than last nights game That's the game we had and should of won. Didn't expect to win last night but the woodshed beating was alarming.

We will see now in the next 2 weeks at home what this team...starting w Muss...has as far as leadership and character.

Side note...last night's debacle did nothing to get attendance above 10k for next weeks game.

On the bright side from tonight:

We had 3 sacks.........

The webcast worked great........

That's about it.

Okay regarding the Big Sky Website - I downloaded the software as instructed, tested the video and watched Kobe chat then when I went to get the game it just kept cycling and there was nothing listed in the column at the right for me to click on. Somethings wrong on my end I'm pretty sure but don't know what.

My prespective - we knew we weren't a top 10 team before the season started, not throwing in the towel just trying to keep things in perspective. We were picked to be #4-5 in the Big Sky and finish anywhere from 8-4 to 4-6 - not accepting that just noting others think we aren't there yet either. Do we have talent on this team - yes, are they student-athletes we can be proud of and not have to make excuses for their off-field activity - yes, will some question the coaching staff's approach and ability - yes that's their perogative. By the end of the year will we be closer to the top of the list than the bottom - that's within the hands of the team. Are we headed in the right direction - no doubt. Homecoming awaits.

It's a game, they are students, enjoy the season.

I don't disagree CM.

I just get frustrated watching this defense. I don't know if the problem is up front or in the secondary or a combination of both. Up front one thing we don't have anymore is a true two gap noseguard. I kept watching Cal Poly run up the gut on us and that jumped out at me. If its a scheme change where it won't be required, we need lb's behind him who can and will make the tackle. I watched guys get to the right spots vs. Cal Poly and continually miss tackles. Secondary- I don't know what to say. I don't know if we are a couple athletes short there or if we are now having to put so focus on stopping the run that these guys are hung to dry. A lot of coverages we get beat on are one on one coverages and a guy is dragging all the way across the field. A number of times, coverage isn't bad, but we just aren't finishing the play. I look at our roster and most of our DB's are freshmen, sophmores or junior transfers. We are young there but think we either need a safety to step up this offseason or bring one in.

Done venting. As Oxbow said earlier, the Poly game still bothers me more than last night. The thing that bothered me about last night is this team continues to give up the big play and not give ourselves a chance. The kickoff return last night and the TD before half bothered me. The fullback trap vs. Poly was inexcusable.

My prespective - we knew we weren't a top 10 team before the season started, not throwing in the towel just trying to keep things in perspective. We were picked to be #4-5 in the Big Sky and finish anywhere from 8-4 to 4-6 - not accepting that just noting others think we aren't there yet either. Do we have talent on this team - yes, are they student-athletes we can be proud of and not have to make excuses for their off-field activity - yes, will some question the coaching staff's approach and ability - yes that's their perogative. By the end of the year will we be closer to the top of the list than the bottom - that's within the hands of the team. Are we headed in the right direction - no doubt. Homecoming awaits.

It's a game, they are students, enjoy the season.

UND was picked 6th by the media and 10th by the coaches before the season. UND probably has one of the most difficult schedules in the Big Sky. Some place between 6th and 10th is probably where this team actually ranks. The team has better talent overall than the past few years. It is also facing better teams, and more good teams, than in past years. Welcome to the Big Sky.

UND was picked 6th by the media and 10th by the coaches before the season. UND probably has one of the most difficult schedules in the Big Sky. Some place between 6th and 10th is probably where this team actually ranks. The team has better talent overall than the past few years. It is also facing better teams, and more good teams, than in past years. Welcome to the Big Sky.

Not disagreeing, but it seems UND is having more difficulty with the increased difficulty of the schedule than the other ex-Great West teams. Look at UC-Davis, for example. UND beat them on the road last year, and Davis was not expected to be very good this year. But despite not having a good record so far, they have turned in very respectable performances against good teams, losing by 4 at South Dakota St., by 8 at Cal Poly and by 7 against Montana State.

Not disagreeing, but it seems UND is having more difficulty with the increased difficulty of the schedule than the other ex-Great West teams. Look at UC-Davis, for example. UND beat them on the road last year, and Davis was not expected to be very good this year. But despite not having a good record so far, they have turned in very respectable performances against good teams, losing by 4 at South Dakota St., by 8 at Cal Poly and by 7 against Montana State.

They also only have 2 wins so far, Azusa Pacific and Weber State. If you want to compare scores, Davis lost to San Jose State by a score of 45-13, San Jose beat San Diego State 38-34 and UND lost to San Diego State 49-41. The only reason that the UND-Cal Poly game wasn't closer was because of turnovers. Turnovers can change the complexion of a game very quickly and don't necessarily reflect the talent level of a team. The only UND game so far that has really gotten out of hand was the EWU game yesterday.

They also only have 2 wins so far, Azusa Pacific and Weber State. If you want to compare scores, Davis lost to San Jose State by a score of 45-13, San Jose beat San Diego State 38-34 and UND lost to San Diego State 49-41. The only reason that the UND-Cal Poly game wasn't closer was because of turnovers. Turnovers can change the complexion of a game very quickly and don't necessarily reflect the talent level of a team. The only UND game so far that has really gotten out of hand was the EWU game yesterday.

Although I believe UC-Davis would likely beat UND if the two teams played this year, that's really not the point I was trying to make. Rather, I believe the problems with the UND defense, particularly the run defense, are not simply a function of the increased difficulty of the schedule compared to the transition years.

Anyone who thought we were going to come into the Big Sky and dominate was kidding themselves. This is not the Great West. Heck..this isn't even the old NCC. This is the best FCS conference in the country!! And we ran into what looks to be one of the top teams in the conference this year. Does it suck that we lost...of course. Will we recover from it....time will tell, but sometimes you need a butt whooping like that to gain a little focus. This is what Big Sky football is all about boys. Either you adjust and work hard to get better and become one of those top teams...or you settle for how we played last night and become a Big Sky bottom dweller. This team has to much prove and tradition to settle for the play and effort we put out last night. Sometimes good things can come from bad situations. I am hoping it will happen. And I think it will.

• Upvote 1