SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 5 Already? vs Cal Poly

geaux_sioux

Following what Teeder11 was doing the other day, I took a quick look at the tickemaster numbers like he did, and with the latest additional seats sold today, I came up with 9,928 seats unavailable as of Midnight. This includes having sections 210 and 211 sold out. So far so good.

I came up with about the same number... not too far from the 10,000-seat mark with a lot of time to go before kick-off.

Got my 4 tickets.

With the nice temperatures (77 and sunny) for saturday, I could see a HUGE walk up gate for this one.

Great! Tailgating should be beautiful! Sadly, I will be missing this one, as we are taking an autumn family vacay to the Black Hills this week. I hope everyone comes back to work Monday with their voices as hoarse has mine tends to be after a UND homegame. Make it loud and make it hell on those guys from Cal Poly -- and not just on 3rd down!

• Upvote 2

I have family members, who have completely ignored UND football during the transition, come up to me wondering about tickets and are considering going to the game Saturday evening. For the most part, these people don't follow sports largely but the attention on the team the last two weeks has brought UND football back into the spotlight IMO. If UND keeps winning, they will naturally put themselves back into focus and attendance should sky rocket. Should have a lot (10,000+) at this game and with a win, should see a near sellout at the N. Arizona game (homecoming) !!

I have family members, who have completely ignored UND football during the transition, come up to me wondering about tickets and are considering going to the game Saturday evening. For the most part, these people don't follow sports largely but the attention on the team the last two weeks has brought UND football back into the spotlight IMO. If UND keeps winning, they will naturally put themselves back into focus and attendance should sky rocket. Should have a lot (10,000+) at this game and with a win, should see a near sellout at the N. Arizona game (homecoming) !!

That is great to hear! I talked my brother in Devils Lake (who is traditionally a hockey only fan) into going to the Southern Utah game when I am up there in early November.

I have no idea what to expect in this game by the way...but I am thinking our D handles the triple option well enough, and we come out with a win.

I believe Hanson and Hendrickson will play in this one, maybe Muss will go with the hot hand after they both play a few series.

This isn't the 2001 sioux defense. This defense gives up just under 200 yards rushing per game with an average of 5.6 yards per rush. I think they can pull out a win, but wouldn't the most UN-likely scenario be for the defense shutting down Poly's running game?

This isn't the 2001 sioux defense. This defense gives up just under 200 yards rushing per game with an average of 5.6 yards per rush. I think they can pull out a win, but wouldn't the most UN-likely scenario be for the defense shutting down Poly's running game?

Right, I think they will do a good enough job with it though. I hope I am right.

I am really looking forward to this game. I really have come to respect UND from our time in the Great West and I am really glad they are now members in the Big Sky. I think this is a game with two teams that are on their way up and it is a huge game for both. Tough break for Cal Poly to go back to back years in Grand Forks. Tough place to play and I expect it to be packed and rocking this weekend. I think it will be a shoot out so it will probably be a 6-3 game. :)

Will the game be televised? I watched last year's game on Direct TV. It was well produced and hope it will be televised again this year.

I am really looking forward to this game. I really have come to respect UND from our time in the Great West and I am really glad they are now members in the Big Sky. I think this is a game with two teams that are on their way up and it is a huge game for both. Tough break for Cal Poly to go back to back years in Grand Forks. Tough place to play and I expect it to be packed and rocking this weekend. I think it will be a shoot out so it will probably be a 6-3 game. :)

Will the game be televised? I watched last year's game on Direct TV. It was well produced and hope it will be televised again this year.

It will be on TV in the region, but Fox College Sports didn't pick up the UND football games this year. You will have to catch it on Big Sky TV.

It'll be on Big Sky TV (on-line). Quality was much better for me last week for the Sacramento St. game than it was two weeks prior for the Portland St. game.

I fully expect the defense in this game, and the remainder of the year, to be closer to the one that gave up 86 yards in the second half (excluding the prevent drive) than the defense we have primarily seen so far this season for two reasons: (1) it appeared that a switch flipped-on confidence-wise after the stop on downs in the third quarter and (2) I expect the running game to continually improve in providing sustained drives (hopefully Kleason will be able to return), which will in turn provide a more stable defense. This said, as bad as the defense has been so far, there will likely be sporadic times when they revert back to what we saw earlier in the season.

I had to do a double take listening to coach Mussman’s post game interview when he said that “It’s really good to see us play good defense. We played good defense tonight …” after giving up close to 500 yards. Although his comments were subdued during his press conference this week; it was quite apparent that his initial reaction and emotional outtake on the game was that his defense had turned a corner during the second half.

I fully expect the defense in this game, and the remainder of the year, to be closer to the one that gave up 86 yards in the second half (excluding the prevent drive) than the defense we have primarily seen so far this season for two reasons: (1) it appeared that a switch flipped-on confidence-wise after the stop on downs in the third quarter and (2) I expect the running game to continually improve in providing sustained drives (hopefully Kleason will be able to return), which will in turn provide a more stable defense. This said, as bad as the defense has been so far, there will likely be sporadic times when they revert back to what we saw earlier in the season.

I had to do a double take listening to coach Mussman’s post game interview when he said that “It’s really good to see us play good defense. We played good defense tonight …” after giving up close to 500 yards. Although his comments were subdued during his press conference this week; it was quite apparent that his initial reaction and emotional outtake on the game was that his defense had turned a corner during the second half.

The coach in me says I have to rely on what I've seen over the course of a few games as representative of where the unit is at vs what I saw in one half of football. Stretch that performance over the next 2 games and I'll be ready to say this defensive unit has turned a corner. Until then, the eye in the sky don't lie.