SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

What are these football players going to have learned from all this? Nothing beyond the fact we got away with it. Now the people in North Dakota government that want to take control of the universities from the SBHE have some real cannonballs to lob in the next session. They tried with the nickname and failed. But football players running amuck and obstructing the democratic process is something that they can really latch on to with emotion. Bison fans may be happy about the outcome but they are only a small percentage of the population. Most of the rest of the state will not be very happy that they pretty much walked away with nothing. Easy to sell a new program to people with NDSU's lack of control and punishment.

Now this post from you I agree with.

This will come back and not be good for any NDUS school come the next Legislative session. "Carlson's Cadre" is just waiting to use this as more proof why the ND SBoHE needs to be weakened and the power taken back into the Legislature. They thought they had a winner with the moniker issue; this has to have them just giddy.

Now this post from you I agree with.

This will come back and not be good for any NDUS school come the next Legislative session. "Carlson's Cadre" is just waiting to use this as more proof why the ND SBoHE needs to be weakened and the power taken back into the Legislature. They thought they had a winner with the moniker issue; this has to have them just giddy.

Hey we have agreed a few times before. :D But seriously reading that announcement really gave me a bad feeling. As 82Siouxguy was thinking as the same time that I was reading the announcement and you are thinking also this is not going to be good. I would say Twamley and the rest of the administrations around the state are thinking "thanks you sobs for thinking that winning football games are more important then the education of the students in the state's universities system". Even though the hockey players were punished they are going to use that also. They can not help but not to. It only takes a snowflake to start an avalanche.

From NDSU's statement:

I believe Mr. Taylor would now like to offer an apology for his unfortunate and misleading statement on the field moments after an emotional victory over FBS-level Colorado State University. He immediately recognized not only his mistake, but the terrible slight it unintentionally suggested to all North Dakotans. After that, Coach Bohl will share his team discipline decisions, and then we will take questions from media.

Notice the emphasis of the win, ... "over FBS-level" ..., interesting that Dr. Bresciani felt the need to include that adjective with Colorado State. It tends to tell me what priority (football) is still deeply rooted in this education-based decision process.

So Ojuri got suspended because he had priors while the others get off scott free? So the lesson at NDSU...if you have no priors you can do what you want there is no law when it comes to NDSU football, but if you have a prior you will get suspended. Okay got it.

From NDSU's statement:

Notice the emphasis of the win, ... "over FBS-level" ..., interesting that Dr. Bresciani felt the need to include that adjective with Colorado State. It tends to tell me what priority (football) is still deeply rooted in this education-based decision process.

Unintentional! bull$%!#. His actions all along were intentional - disdainful of North Dakota law.

What was unintentional was revealing this absolute disdain for law over winning. He claims he became unprofessional at that moment, but he was unprofessional all along.

So Ojuri got suspended because he had priors while the others get off scott free? So the lesson at NDSU...if you have no priors you can do what you want there is no law when it comes to NDSU football, but if you have a prior you will get suspended. Okay got it.

I don't understand why you seem to care so much. Heck, the judge didn't even seem to make it into much of a big deal. They don't exactly get off scott free. They have 50 hours of community service, and a nice little fine on top of whatever their lawyer costed them.

Is it a huge punishment? Nope. I am sure they will never do something dumb like this again.

I don't understand why you seem to care so much. Heck, the judge didn't even seem to make it into much of a big deal. They don't exactly get off scott free. They have 50 hours of community service, and a nice little fine on top of whatever their lawyer costed them.

Is it a huge punishment? Nope. I am sure they will never do something dumb like this again.

You really think that money is going to come out of their pockets and they will do that community service on the up and up? Think again.

These folks have all just pled guilty to a class A misdemeanor.

Doesn't that open themselves up to a civil case from the groups that lost money due to the (now admittedly) illegal activities? There are a couple groups out six-figures of dollars. Won't they come after these guys and didn't these guys just make it very easy for those groups to win a civil judgment?

• Upvote 1

The people of North Dakota, including a large number of NDSU fans, were upset because it appeared that these 10 players were given preferential treatment. Bohl had suspended players for lesser offenses. Then Taylor makes his preposterous statement that they had suffered enough and that the charges weren't that serious so none of the players would be suspended over this issue. If NDSU had done something immediately it would have prevented probably 90% of the PR headache that NDSU has had over this issue. And you really seem to have a fixation on the UND hockey team. Are you really a closeted UND hockey fan?

You're the one with the fixation. This discussion would not be on the main board at bisonville.

You really think that money is going to come out of their pockets and they will do that community service on the up and up? Think again.

Maybe their parents will pay for it I guess? I'm sure that they will get extra time to do their service. When I had my meeting a week ago, they asked what my schedule was like and that if I had a job and such that they would be flexible. I'd count football as a job.

This discussion would not be on the main board at bisonville.

You mean the thread not in the Bisonville football forum, or the thread not in the Bisonville Bison commons forum? Which one of those two that are both on the main board at Bisonville would not be on the main board at Bisonville?

You're the one with the fixation. This discussion would not be on the main board at bisonville.

That's because it follows the mentality of the sub-par university in Fargo. They suppress real open dialogue. It is verboten. Yah.

At the flagship university in Grand Forks, open discussion is encouraged. Did we tell any of the buffalo fans that it was discouraged to talk about the problems of the hockey team and their party? We may question your intentions, but real dialogue is allowed here on Siouxsports.com

Now, go goosestep back in line with your brethren and bury your little pointy heads in sand. There is much ignoring to do on Buffaloville!

That's because Bville doesn't consider forging signatures, voter fraud or interfering with elections serious crimes. Bville only considers crimes involving sex or violence as serious. At Bville, nothing is as serious as winning football games. Teaching students life lessons and building better citizens doesn't seem to be as important as wins over FBS teams. At Bville, you aren't allowed to talk badly about NDSU football players. Bville is completely paranoid and believes that the whole world is out to get NDSU athletics. That's why this discussion wouldn't be on the main board at Bville. Thanks for playing.
  • Upvote 1

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I honestly don't think this will be brought up again in large numbers.

It may or may not be brought up in large numbers (I'm not quite sure how you define this), but you can be sure that it will be brought up by multiple committees in Bismarck next spring, and it will be brought up in at least some of the other ways I listed. You and other NDSU faithful are really fooling yourselves if you believe that this is just going to go away. There is a reason that the media has gotten so much mileage out of the issue, because a lot of non-NDSU football fans are not happy about this situation.

These folks have all just pled guilty to a class A misdemeanor.

Doesn't that open themselves up to a civil case from the groups that lost money due to the (now admittedly) illegal activities? There are a couple groups out six-figures of dollars. Won't they come after these guys and didn't these guys just make it very easy for those groups to win a civil judgment?

Doubt it, but it could make it easier to go after Terra Strategies.

Doubt it, but it could make it easier to go after Terra Strategies.

I'm not an attorney, but under the present law I think Terra is in the safe part of the grey area. They can claim they didn't pay "per signature" (illegal) but merely incentivised their system for high performers.

I think that question of law (namely, is Terra's system legal) will be clarified in the coming Legislature.

And I think voter fraud such as this will probably end up as C felony instead of today's A misdemeanor.

But like I've said, Terra may, may, have made an illegal offer, but the footballers didn't have to take it and end up in this mess. What'd NDSU's footballers do? I'll use the judge's words: not smart, not grown up, not sophisticated.

Here is a link to the press conference from NDSU tonight: http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/246170/group/News/

It is described as the following:

A 15-paragraph statement by the university president, an apology by the athletic director and the suspension of the starting running back by the head coach culminated a day that started with 10 North Dakota State football players in a courtroom.

Am I missing something? When I listen to the AD I don't hear an apology. As a parent, when I ask my children to apologize for something they did wrong. I pay close attention to what they say making sure that it is an apology. Because, I think it is an important step for their development. Many times I have to work with my youngest daughter to make sure it is an apology versus an excuse. But, when I listen to the AD - I don't hear an apology. I only hear an excuse. Am I the only one that hears it this way.. time clip - 7:00 to 8:13 is when the AD is supposed to apologize.

I'm not an attorney, but under the present law I think Terra is in the safe part of the grey area. They can claim they didn't pay "per signature" (illegal) but merely incentivised their system for high performers.

I think that law (is Terra's system legal) will be clarified in the coming Legislature.

And I think voter fraud such as this will probably end up as C felony instead of today's A misdemeanor.

But like I've said, Terra may, may, have made an illegal offer, but the footballers didn't have to take it and end up in this mess.

Yeah I don't think Terra will face sanctions from the state but these groups could try to go after them.

But, when I listen to the AD - I don't hear an apology. I only hear an excuse. Am I the only one that hears it this way.. time clip - 7:00 to 8:13 is when the AD is supposed to apologize.

I guess I can't disagree with your assessment.

Here is a link to the press conference from NDSU tonight: http://www.grandfork...170/group/News/

Watching that link I see another epic VMeister/Answer Guy film production in the future.

Here is a link to the press conference from NDSU tonight: http://www.grandfork...170/group/News/

It is described as the following:

A 15-paragraph statement by the university president, an apology by the athletic director and the suspension of the starting running back by the head coach culminated a day that started with 10 North Dakota State football players in a courtroom.

Am I missing something? When I listen to the AD I don't hear an apology. As a parent, when I ask my children to apologize for something they did wrong. I pay close attention to what they say making sure that it is an apology. Because, I think it is an important step for their development. Many times I have to work with my youngest daughter to make sure it is an apology versus an excuse. But, when I listen to the AD - I don't hear an apology. I only hear an excuse. Am I the only one that hears it this way.. time clip - 7:00 to 8:13 is when the AD is supposed to apologize.

I didn't hear an apology either. He admitted that it wasn't professional because he spoke from personal emotion, but he didn't apologize to anyone in that press conference.

That's because Bville doesn't consider forging signatures, voter fraud or interfering with elections serious crimes. Bville only considers crimes involving sex or violence as serious. Unless the guy is a starter and there's a big game on the line then we'll blame the victim.

-original draft ;)

It may or may not be brought up in large numbers (I'm not quite sure how you define this), but you can be sure that it will be brought up by multiple committees in Bismarck next spring, and it will be brought up in at least some of the other ways I listed. You and other NDSU faithful are really fooling yourselves if you believe that this is just going to go away. There is a reason that the media has gotten so much mileage out of the issue, because a lot of non-NDSU football fans are not happy about this situation.

Yeah, I worded that poorly. My original response to Darell was in regards to him saying every Bison win from here on out would be laced with mention of this case. No it won't. We might hear a little about it on Sunday after Youngstown just because Ojuri was suspended, but it's not like we're going to see headlines in the Forum "Bison win over Missouri St. in spite of 10 players found guilty of class A misdemeanor. This will go away faster than anybody on Siouxsports thinks.

This will go away faster than anybody on Siouxsports thinks.

... only to rear its head when the Legislature starts back in session. Why?

- the move to tougher the voter fraud laws from A misdemeanors to C felonies

- the move to re-write and clarify the laws about how signature gatherers can be paid

- and "Carlson's Cadre" will surely use this in their quest to undermine the powers of the ND SBoHE

Book it. Bank it.

I think McFeeley said it best: "Thank God we had 4 games to see how good Crockett is so we could make an example of Ojuri."

Interesting choice/timing in suspending Ojuri for his multiple infractions. All of the other players with multiple infractions have not been suspended (Beck, Williams, etc.)