SiouxSports.com Forum

The best states to be young in America

UND92,96

Fact and not meant as negative since North Dakota seems to like its high ranking on binge drinking.

Who are you referring to as "North Dakota"? All the people I talk to are embarrassed by that ranking. No one I know embraces it. What are you basing your statement on? Because if it's word of mouth or what you've heard or read (like me) then I guess our experiences cancel each other out.

Who are you referring to as "North Dakota"? All the people I talk to are embarrassed by that ranking. No one I know embraces it. What are you basing your statement on? Because if it's word of mouth or what you've heard or read (like me) then I guess our experiences cancel each other out.

Funny but I have never heard anyone say anything but jokes about the ranking. This comes from all ends of the socio-economic spectrum.

Funny but I have never heard anyone say anything but jokes about the ranking. This comes from all ends of the socio-economic spectrum.

Yes, but for most of the people that I know...it is the same as joking with people that the snow never melts here or that everyone has their own horse and buggy instead of a car. It is called a joke for a reason. Kind of a if you can't beat them, might as well join them attitude.

There is money in ND, just head to the west. Every young person that I have talked to that has moved here has been so excited to be in ND especially with everything that is happening in our state right now.

who exactly do you associate with? that ranking is a huge source of pride with students.

Its not a coicidence the Northern states have low unemployment. Winter. You head south if ya got no money.

They also have competent education systems, which is kind of a big deal. People always rag on the poor achievement of american high school students ver the last 20 years, but the US looks *much* better if you exclude the former confederacy. The poor standing of american schools is largely do to the south being awful.

who exactly do you associate with? that ranking is a huge source of pride with students.

Mostly Fargo natives and NDSU grads ...... In other words, a bunch teetotalers. (;

They also have competent education systems, which is kind of a big deal. People always rag on the poor achievement of american high school students ver the last 20 years, but the US looks *much* better if you exclude the former confederacy. The poor standing of american schools is largely do to the south being awful.

Agreed. But they, especially Texas and Florida, love to trot out their lower tax bases when they schill for business development. I know a number of UND alums who moved south and they send their kids to private schools because the public systems are so bad in many places. A Confederacy of Dunces, indeed. ;)

• Upvote 1

Agreed. But they, especially Texas and Florida, love to trot out their lower tax bases when they schill for business development. I know a number of UND alums who moved south and they send their kids to private schools because the public systems are so bad in many places. A Confederacy of Dunces, indeed. ;)

Or Homeschool.

Problem is when they get to college they do not know how to work in groups. I saw this alot.

I hope they don't get "group think" mentality.

Between our house, the next door neighbors and the house across the street there are 14 kids (the next door neighbors are homeschooled, as well). Plenty of time for the socialization that I always hear about homeschool kids missing out on. Two weeks ago the kids planned a team triathlon with four teams. They only included the adults to monitor the pool and watch for traffic in the streets. It was pretty fun to watch.

Problem is when they get to college they do not know how to work in groups. I saw this alot.

This is a huge myth. Yeah there are kids with poor skills coming from homeschooled backgrounds, but the same can be said for kids from public schools and private schools. By and large, homeschooled kids are more likely to excel in college.

CBS News (2010)

Of course, the big knock on homeschool students is that they never develop social skills since their classrooms are often their kitchen tables and their mothers are often their teachers. Cogan, however, noted that another homeschool study that looked at more than 7,300 adults, who had been homeschooled, determined that the homeschool graduates were more likely to have voted and participated in community service than other adults.

I'm not saying that everyone should be homeschooled, but to paint homeschooled kids as being unable to do group projects is unreasonable. As for my personal experience, homeschooled kids in college have generally done better when participating in group projects because they actually prepared for the group session.

This is a huge myth. Yeah there are kids with poor skills coming from homeschooled backgrounds, but the same can be said for kids from public schools and private schools. By and large, homeschooled kids are more likely to excel in college.

CBS News (2010)

I'm not saying that everyone should be homeschooled, but to paint homeschooled kids as being unable to do group projects is unreasonable. As for my personal experience, homeschooled kids in college have generally done better when participating in group projects because they actually prepared for the group session.

I have personally seen the opposite of what you saw. When was the last time you were in a college classroom?

Lack of shared experiences will likely hurt home schooled students long term...I can't imagine them being successful in leadership positions in a corporation for instance. You have to relate to people to be successful, and a big key to relating is common experiences.

The study- good for NoDak, but I don't know what it really says. It mentions 20-24 year olds...which eliminates a lot of higher ed students. It also doesn't address two other key indicators which is white collar jobs and starting salaries. Not a lot of consulting or PE entry level analyst roles in NoDak.

I hope they don't get "group think" mentality.

Between our house, the next door neighbors and the house across the street there are 14 kids (the next door neighbors are homeschooled, as well). Plenty of time for the socialization that I always hear about homeschool kids missing out on. Two weeks ago the kids planned a team triathlon with four teams. They only included the adults to monitor the pool and watch for traffic in the streets. It was pretty fun to watch.

I tend to agree with this. My sister home schools(ed) her three kids since my brother-in-law's military career took them to some really interesting parts of the world, such as Kuwait and Pakistan. They also had some great travel opportunities to Jordan, Cyprus and Turkey. Even when they returned stateside, they still opted to home school the kids, since certain schools around DC and California military posts aren't really very good. However, they chose very demanding coursework for the kids, and connected with other like-minded parents for group learning activities. The kids all participate(d) in local swimming, soccer or tennis programs with other home schooled kids as well as students in local schools, and all were involved with childrens' musical programs. My niece, the oldest of the brood, scored in the 98th percentile on her SAT, and was accepted to UVA for this fall, although she deferred her admission a year to take some courses at a local college.

Like kids in public and private schools, I think home schooling parents have a profound impact on the kids' development and growth. Fully engaged parents will probably do more good for their kids regardless of where the kids learn their "3 Rs".