SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Neither player was hurt, they both went on to play for other schools. You do need to understand how he and the players were treated before making a judgement. He told me the story and I was shocked that a college coach would act in that manner. Either way, a college should never walk away leaving a sour taste since they will likely be back.

if he didn't tell you what schools he was referring to, how do you know the players went to "other schools"?

How about college coaches act like the care and treat people with some respect, so that they aren't burning bridges.

With how upset you are getting I will assume it was UND. Too bad they did something that bad to him, not good for the program.

Question: Do a couple of the other coaches on that high school team have ties to UND? If so, I have a feeling I know who you are talking about. Obviously not in ND.

Successful coaches understand that relationships are important. HS coaches need to have good relationships with lower level youth, college coaches need good relationships with HS coaches NFL coaches need to have good relationships with management and they all need to understand how to have solid working relationships with players. If Muss or any other coach doesn't understand how to make a good impression on HS coaches and players, make them feel important and cultivate that relationship, they are in serious trouble. A HS coach I am friends with told me that he no longer returns phone calls or emails from two colleges because of the way they have treated him and players (he wouldn't tell me if UND was one of them).

If that is how he handles it, he really shouldn't be coaching.

I understand what you are saying. Something must have happened. But, your example is two kids that had other offers anyway. How about the year he has a couple fringe guys and no offers are coming? Schools are going to ask who else offered and when they find out nobody, hello preferred walk-on! If said school that pissed him off is still involved, they create competition and possibly get his kid a partial offer. It only hurts the kids and parents when a coach shuts out schools. Let the kids decide.

high school coaches have a responsibility to keep kids out of bad situations. Sometimes that involves taking a partial instead of a full ride, for instance.

How about college coaches act like the care and treat people with some respect, so that they aren't burning bridges.

I doubt anyone disagrees with that but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be a bigger/better person for the sake of his athletes.

high school coaches have a responsibility to keep kids out of bad situations. Sometimes that involves taking a partial instead of a full ride, for instance.

I completely disagree, coaches should try to get the athlete every possible opportunity and let them, along with his family, decide what is the best situation.

Because the coach doesn't like how they recruited a player, the college would put his future kids in a "bad situation? Don't think so.

I have a feeling this one pertained to offers that never came and jerking around by a certain staff, maybe false promises about an upcoming offer. If so, that coach better get used to it or his blacklist of schools is going to get pretty long.

Because the coach doesn't like how they recruited a player, the college would put his future kids in a "bad situation? Don't think so.

I have a feeling this one pertained to offers that never came and jerking around by a certain staff, maybe false promises about an upcoming offer. If so, that coach better get used to it or his blacklist of schools is going to get pretty long.

you are pretty naive if you think the worst a school can do is the bolded. I think hardly think that would be the issue at hand.

you are pretty naive if you think the worst a school can do is the bolded. I think hardly think that would be the issue at hand.

Give us some examples of what a member of a coaching staff would say or do to a high school coach? Honestly, I would love to hear stories about what not to do.

I completely disagree, coaches should try to get the athlete every possible opportunity and let them, along with his family, decide what is the best situation.

HS coaches should be apart of the process. They're the one who is familiar with how a student-athlete handles school along with playing football, and sometimes families just aren't familiar with college athletics so HS coaches can help the family decide on the best situation.

HS coaches should be apart of the process. They're the one who is familiar with how a student-athlete handles school along with playing football, and sometimes families just aren't familiar with college athletics so HS coaches can help the family decide on the best situation.

As a HS coach, denying a kid an opportunity because you felt slighted by a college coach is pretty irresponsible. They should definitely have some input as they are more familiar than most families about the process (like you said) but they should present all opportunities.

As a HS coach, denying a kid an opportunity because you felt slighted by a college coach is pretty irresponsible. They should definitely have some input as they are more familiar than most families about the process (like you said) but they should present all opportunities.

I agree it's irresponsible, but why give them that choice by slighting HS coaches at all. I know for a fact Bohl goes around north central ND and talks to every high school coach there every year regardless of if they have potential prospects. Just shoot the breeze, ask about other team's kids, and cultivate that relationship. I also know of coaches who've said they wouldn't know Mussman's voice if it wasn't for press conferences and interviews.

Maybe that means Bohl is relentless is that's pretty crazy to expect, but what about a phone call or something. It's really no wonder why we don't have as many ND fans.

I agree it's irresponsible, but why give them that choice by slighting HS coaches at all. I know for a fact Bohl goes around north central ND and talks to every high school coach there every year regardless of if they have potential prospects. Just shoot the breeze, ask about other team's kids, and cultivate that relationship. I also know of coaches who've said they wouldn't know Mussman's voice if it wasn't for press conferences and interviews.

Maybe that means Bohl is relentless is that's pretty crazy to expect, but what about a phone call or something. It's really no wonder why we don't have as many ND fans.

Mussman spends next to no time traveling around ND. He acts like he couldn't care less. If there is a prospect, he will visit that prospect - that is it.

I don't disagree with you and if our staff isn't doing what they should be in ND, that is disappointing. Completely separate point from a HS coach holding a grudge and not allowing his kids every opportunity possible because of a personal issue he has with someone.

You are all assuming that the coach was "slighted" vs completely being arrogant and rude to the coach and athletes. In the situation I was talking about it went far beyond "slighted". They were lied to multiple times and rescheduled meetings with coach, recruits and parents twice with very little notice. When they did finally meet the recruiting coach basically talked trash about every school in the state and told them nearly nothing about his school. It left a really bad taste in everyone's mouth and both kids chose to go elsewhere. The hs coach decided he didn't want to put anymore players and families in that situation until a different staff was at that school.

I just don't get Mussman when it comes to recruiting ND kids. The only explanation I can come up with is that he doesn't think there is enough talent to make many offers to "our" kids. How many more ND kids are on NDSU's team than UNDs? I imagine its quite a few more. They are able to play for a championship team but not UND I guess.

You are all assuming that the coach was "slighted" vs completely being arrogant and rude to the coach and athletes. In the situation I was talking about it went far beyond "slighted". They were lied to multiple times and rescheduled meetings with coach, recruits and parents twice with very little notice. When they did finally meet the recruiting coach basically talked trash about every school in the state and told them nearly nothing about his school. It left a really bad taste in everyone's mouth and both kids chose to go elsewhere. The hs coach decided he didn't want to put anymore players and families in that situation until a different staff was at that school.

For you to take it this far means it was obviously about UND. Mind telling us how many years ago this happened?

I just don't get Mussman when it comes to recruiting ND kids. The only explanation I can come up with is that he doesn't think there is enough talent to make many offers to "our" kids. How many more ND kids are on NDSU's team than UNDs? I imagine its quite a few more. They are able to play for a championship team but not UND I guess.

If you read previous posts you would understand there are maybe 2-3 FCS players a year in ND. SU is getting most of them so it looks like they have so many more. UND cannot just take the next 2-3 cause they are not good enough to make UND any better. They only have so many spots on a team.

NDSU has 22 kids from North Dakota and 5 from South Dakota

UND has 13 kids from North Dakota and 1 from South Dakota

It's funny to read about this as my son and I just had this conversation and also looked at the rosters on the website to see the ND kids. I'm curious though...how many of the ND kids actually play at each school?

So the entire discussion is over an average of about 2 kids per recruiting year from North Dakota and 1 from South Dakota. The other part of the discussion should be, as siouxperseven brings up, is how much playing time are those recruits getting. Are they all getting significant time, part of them getting significant time, just roster filler?