SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

You don't think so?

No I don't. Combo of reduced D2 scholarships, university president less than excited about athletics, mistake of an AD and a coach unwilling to adapt to the new playing field.

Not discrediting anything UND did in the 90's and early 2000's. They had some good teams no doubt. Thomas started a good thing and Lennon capitalized off of it.

There were many factors that led to NDSU falling stagnant. I guess to some its only arrogance but I think those opinions may be skewed by their hatred for the others program and school.

Combo of reduced D2 scholarships, university president less than excited about athletics, mistake of an AD and a coach unwilling to adapt to the new playing field.

I'll buy off on your laundry list of excuses except for the first one.

Everyone was running at the DII number. Could it be that it was a coaching issue with the scholarship-athletes they got?

Everyone was running at the DII number. Could it be that it was a coaching issue with the scholarship-athletes they got?

I didn't mean it that way I apologize. IMO NDSU was used to having the luxury of having more scholly money than alot of the other D2 schools in the day. When the NCAA reduced the maximum number they didnt have the luxury of that extra money to throw around. They struggled to adapt.

Look at it as excuses. I'm just trying to explain as to why it wasn't pure arrogance as some like to think.

I didn't mean it that way I apologize. IMO NDSU was used to having the luxury of having more scholly money than alot of the other D2 schools in the day. When the NCAA reduced the maximum number they didnt have the luxury of that extra money to throw around. They struggled to adapt.

Look at it as excuses. I'm just trying to explain as to why it wasn't pure arrogance as some like to think.

They did have more scholly money than everybody else during the 80's. They were good at giving kids 2/3 rides and letting them eat on campus for free, and a 2/3 becomes a full ride. They effectively had 1/3 more scholarships than anybody else at that time.

Rocky Hager is that you.

You don't think that NDSU has an overdrive when given an opportunity to stretch their legs and press the accelerator with more scholarships? Clearly the last 3 years says that you are dead wrong. Wow, take off the filter man.

No I don't. Combo of reduced D2 scholarships, university president less than excited about athletics, mistake of an AD and a coach unwilling to adapt to the new playing field.

Not discrediting anything UND did in the 90's and early 2000's. They had some good teams no doubt. Thomas started a good thing and Lennon capitalized off of it.

There were many factors that led to NDSU falling stagnant. I guess to some its only arrogance but I think those opinions may be skewed by their hatred for the others program and school.

Bison fans always act like the 90s and early 2000s were the only time UND has ever been near NDSU.. but when I check the facts about the nickel trophy, UND has won 35 to NDSU's 30 with wins in every decade. Only one win in the 80s, so those type of Bison fans must have grown up watching back in the 80s when NDSU kicked UNDs ass all the time.. some bison fans tend to forget what the win/loss column head-to-head between the two schools actually looks like.

und had a 14 game lead in the nickel trophy series in 1964, now it's 5 and if the rivalry had continued, NDSU would have at worst evened it up, and the process would have been ugly at times. The series has been theirs in most of our lifetimes.

I guess we will never know until the NCAA forces it in the playoffs. Until then its still in UND's favor.

I'd just like to point out that you have now been talking about NDSU for 5 pages basically unprovoked with no NDSU input, much of it completely off topic.

i don't think that picture is particularly recent, and afaik he is very much still on the market.

noone. I rephrased the sentence, and did it incorrectly; it should have read "unknown offer."

what a load of crap. There are other teams that compete for recruits in Minnesota aside from UND and NDSU, and NDSU certainly never got everyone it wanted, not even close. UNI and SDSU have gotten their fair share of top prospects, hell even USD got a few. Brock Jensen iirc was their third or fourth option at QB for instance. Billy Turner and Marcus Williams both almost went to UNI, and others did.

on the other hand NDSU has gotten the top recruit out of SD four years in a row. It's best returning players (IMO) are both from Nebraska.

How else do you think a coach as terrible as stiglemeyer manage to make the playoffs three times in 5 years? It's sure not because NDSU has all the best recruits. If NDSU's staff had been coaching SDSU, SDSU would probably have been deep in the title hunt at least the last two years.

There are alot of good players in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois and ks to go around; the addition of UND to the mix isn't going to disperse things very far. Missouri and Iowa aren't exactly off limits either.

next year is '86. UND will be back just in time for them to come back to earth.

The majority of last year's senior class for NDSU was from Minnesota and Wisconsin. You can't dismiss the fact they are really good football players that UND didn't even look at recruiting. That is the issue - they were skipped over when they should've been focused on. And as far as other teams that compete for Minnesota recruits, I consider NDSU and UND to be the top two FCS teams. They have the top facilities and academics relative to SDSU, USD, and UNI. The top Minnesota and Wisconsin recruits that don't make the Big Ten should always be then looking to UND and NDSU, in my opinion. To make that happen, you need college coaches from UND and NDSU that will contact and recruit those players. NDSU did that during the Bohl regime, whereas Mussman did not. That is where the issue lies and I'm sticking to it. And no crap there are other states where recruits can be found, but that's where the competition gets tougher due to proximity. For example, Illinois recruits have SIU, Illinois State, Eastern Illinois, Western Illinois, Indiana State, Youngstown, etc. etc. to deal with, not to mention the MAC schools. A lot of Minnesota and Wisconsin kids don't get those offers, or at least not as many. There are no FCS schools in Minnesota or Wisconsin - that's a big deal.

And how do you call SDSU's coach bad? He's done quite well getting in quality talent.

Well, now that we've established you're an Ag school supporter, let's move on. I'm done talking about the dirt school on this recruiting thread.

Bison fans always act like the 90s and early 2000s were the only time UND has ever been near NDSU.. but when I check the facts about the nickel trophy, UND has won 35 to NDSU's 30 with wins in every decade. Only one win in the 80s, so those type of Bison fans must have grown up watching back in the 80s when NDSU kicked UNDs ass all the time.. some bison fans tend to forget what the win/loss column head-to-head between the two schools actually looks like.

I just watched When They Were Kings on Youtube, and NDSU beat #1 UND in 1981...# ONE UND!!! UND didn't get there on a whim, they had great coaching and players too, then started going downhill with Pat Behrns, it took Roger Thomas, Dale Lennon and patience to bring UND back up to the top of the NCC in 1993, it wasn't no DII scholarship reduction (which I never heard of until Rocky was interviewed for this documentary), it was the players and coaches. Its a roller coaster you go down, and you go up. It happens in every sport but more so in college than the pros due to free agency in the pros. Even UCLA couldn't stay on top of the basketball world forever, same with ND, Miami, Nebraska, etc. NDSU had a roller coaster ride of their own in the past as they didn't win every conference title known to man. I know they love to pinpoint a year and say we have won this many games since x amount of years, but its whatever makes them feel better about themselves, as for UND fans...we know the all time series records and we hold the most wins over all the Big Dakota 3 of the MVFC. In a way this is 1986 (2.0) but this time we are getting the players, and coaches needed to win, and its not going to take us 8 years to get on top. I see playoffs a lot sooner than that.

und had a 14 game lead in the nickel trophy series in 1964, now it's 5 and if the rivalry had continued, NDSU would have at worst evened it up, and the process would have been ugly at times. The series has been theirs in most of our lifetimes.

In my lifetime, at least since I was 14 there was only one dominant team. Yes, obviously with the head start into FCS, SU probably would have closed the gap a bit.

I have two more degrees from this school than you do, and I haven't had anything negative to say about UND. If either of us get to say UND is our school, it's me, not you.

I have been a fan of UND since my dad took me to my first UND game (CC @ UND in hockey) in 1984, I was 8 years old. So being a fan for 29 years and counting qualifies my as saying UND is my school.

Since you appear to be targeting me, this thread has been on this particular tangent for 5 pages now, with no commentary from NDSU trolls, and all my comments have been on topic. I merely joined the conversation, and offered a perspective, to which you have now provided three off topic ad hom. remarks, along with a few jabs from others. This tangent had been going for 5 pages before I joined, and I was more on topic than most. The only person trolling has been you. (and I bit) Plus you bring up NDSU more than any 'UND fan' I know.

if you (or anyone else) have further concerns about my posting, please feel free to make a thread here, as I believe that is the currect thread for issues about moderation: http://forum.siouxsp...siouxsportscom/ I would be glad to discuss it with you. Otherwise leave your opinions on my loyalty to UND out of this thread.

I see Johnson, and Herd talking NDSU, then you continue to do the same, before I said a word about the Bison. There are others on this board who think you bleed green and yellow, not just me, so take it up with them as well. Don't single me out, I never mentioned NDSU until the pissing match occurred overnight, you bring up the series of the Nickel in a classic NDSU rebuttal, and you blame me for bringing up NDSU? Do us all a favor, go to Bisonville and stay there.

Anyway.............., to somewhat update everyone on where UND is in recruiting: Josh Parks may or may not be on his way to UND. Ezra is deciding between UNI and UND. We had a contingent in Michigan today to recruit at Brother Rice. There is speculation that Kacour is accepting a PWO to UofM. Did I miss anything fellow recruiting buddies? Roll tribe!

• Upvote 1