SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Is Bubba known for his recruiting?

I think that depends on who you ask. I will say this--with Bubba and probably Schmidt, I feel like UND is in its best position to recruit within the state of ND since 2005 (the Chappell, Stroup, etc. class). Obviously there were some other factors at play in recent years as well, but Muss vs. Bohl was a blowout recruiting-wise for the most part. I would look for things to change significantly with the mostly new staffs in the coming years.

Looks like you're on to something there.

After looking at SIU's roster, it looks like they really value JUCO and FBS-transfer players.

And look how much SIU is struggling to get over the hump to become a perennial FCS playoff team. That is why they brought Lennon in six years ago and it hasn't happened like most of us expected. Bottom line: I don't think a team filled with JUCO and FBS transfers has the same chemistry and goal-oriented focus as a team made up of 4 and 5 year players recruited out of high school. How many JUCO/FBS transfers are on NDSU's team this year or the previous two years?

And look how much SIU is struggling to get over the hump to become a perennial FCS playoff team. That is why they brought Lennon in six years ago and it hasn't happened like most of us expected. Bottom line: I don't think a team filled with JUCO and FBS transfers has the same chemistry and goal-oriented focus as a team made up of 4 and 5 year players recruited out of high school. How many JUCO/FBS transfers are on NDSU's team this year or the previous two years?

I completly agree! There is nothing wrong with bringing in a couple JUCO guys or a transfer here and there to fill in some holes, but 4-5 year players recruited from HS are the way to go. I am also really hoping that the new staff hits the recruiting trail hard, so we don't miss out on a entire recruiting class.

While it is true that NDSU has owned North Dakota recruits lately, we need to remember that we are talking about 6-8 kids a year tops and probably 25% of them are preferred walkons. Minnesota and Wisconsin are the areas where NDSU has been building their championship teams.

SIU also had winning seasons the last two years. UND hasn't had a winning season the past couple seasons since being in the Big Sky. Bottom line is JUCO and transfers could get us to .500 whereas otherwise we would be well below .500. Of course you need to recruit quality players in order to build a championship roster, but having a few JUCOs and transfers only can help.

SIU also had winning seasons the last two years. UND hasn't had a winning season the past couple seasons since being in the Big Sky. Bottom line is JUCO and transfers could get us to .500 whereas otherwise we would be well below .500. Of course you need to recruit quality players in order to build a championship roster, but having a few JUCOs and transfers only can help.

SIU didn't bring in Lennon six years ago to have winning seasons. They brought him in to build a championship-contending program. And they have not reached that level. I really don't think Bubba will load the roster with JUCO/FBS transfers. Bubba is going to focus on the long-term health of the program; not short-change the future for a couple of extra wins in the present.

How many scholarship corners are left on the roster right now? Possibly as few as one depending upon the status of Konowalski? Aside from Chris Brown, I'm not sure there are any others who have ever seen the field. I assume this is one position Bubba is going to have dip into the juco ranks pretty hard.

Is Bubba known for his recruiting?

I know some fellas who were recruited by Bubba who don't have many good things to say about our new head coach's recruiting abilities. That being said, the aforementioned recruitments occurred quite awhile ago, so I am not sure how much stock to put into those experiences.

As it relates to recruiting, I've been able to find a couple things on some official visits. Not much out there yet.

• Keaton Studsrud is coming on 1/17
  • Blake Emsick is taking a second visit on 1/10
  • Deion Harris is coming on 1/17
  • Justin Didell, who we haven't offered, is coming on 1/17. He has us listed as "High" interest on rivals. 6'2" 280 lb DT.

Additionally, offeree Anthony Love also now has us listed as "high" interest, along with South Dakota (offer), Eastern Illinois and a directional Michigan.

Lastly, I see that Harris, Greeley and Develyn Ferguson have all connected on twitter, with Feguson appearing to reach out to them.

Tim Gordon now holds offers from NDSU and UNI. Definitely going to be a tough get for us but I guess we can pitch that he can play and start right away. I mean whoelse is going to start at CB for us next year? Dan Konowalski has had some hype around him for a while but I don't think he touched the field this past season as a RS FR.

anyone been doing any detective work on recruits?

I updated Wiki with quite a bit of new info yesterday but there really isn't anything going on other than prospects continuing to make decisions. For the most part, I could probably trash the current Wiki and start over with the activity of the new staff. I am sure much of what I have is no longer valid.

UND has an offer out to Kendrick Randolph, JUCO safety in AZ.

http://sports.yahoo....Randolph-145521

Very nice size and speed (6'1", 195, 4.4) but it is interesting that he was neither 1st or 2nd team all-conference - especially considering three other DBs from Eastern AZ JC did make the 2nd team.

Very interesting that he is visiting SIU this weekend. He has offers from SIU, Savannah St & NM St