SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Any contact with a potential recruit regarding the recruiting process is an NCAA violation. Sam has been doing this for years and in multiple sports. The NDSU athletic department hasn't done anything about it because the entire program has little to no regard for NCAA regulations.

this is actually false too

Well Ive read on his site that he hasnt donated to the teams in a few years, so not sure if that would count

It would definitely count. The information comes from a brochure put out by NDSU. Every school has their own version and usually has it available on it's web site. You can find it here, http://www.gobison.com/documents/2013/5/30/Booster_Brochure.pdf?id=16, and more information here, http://www.gobison.com/sports/2013/4/19/compliance.aspx. I put some of the highlights in bold.

Whether you are an alum, donor, booster, parent of a current NDSU student-athlete or friend of Bison Athletics, the University is grateful for your support. Together we can accomplish the common goal of ensuring a positive experience for all student-athletes. NDSU is subject to penalties for all violations committed by any alum, donor, booster, parent of a current NDSU student-athlete or friend.

ARE YOU A REPRESENTATIVE OF NDSU'S ATHLETICS INTERESTS?

You are a representative of NDSUís athletics interests, more commonly known as a "booster", if you meet any of the following conditions:

! You have been or are a member of any organization that promotes NDSUís athletics program (e.g., NDSU Foundation, Team Makers).

! You have made a financial contribution to the NDSU athletics department or its booster organization.

! You have ever assisted in the recruitment of prospects for NDSU.

! You have provided benefits (e.g. summer jobs or occasional family meals) to enrolled student-athletes.

! You have arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes, or assisted in providing any benefit to enrolled student-athletes or their families.

! You have ever, in any way, promoted the athletics program at NDSU.

NOTE: Please remember that once you become a booster, you retain that identity indefinitely.

this is actually false too

Unless you have a prior relationship with the recruit or their family, just about any effort to make contact with that recruit or their family is potentially a violation. An example of an exception would be if you were attending a game and the recruit or their family walked by. You are allowed to say hello. You are allowed to wear team logo apparel. You would probably be allowed to answer a question if they make the effort to ask. But you are not allowed to promote any college in any way past this. If you have a prior relationship there is a little more leeway, but it can still be a violation depending on the situation.

I hate to derail this thread any further but NDSU athletics has pretty much done everything it could to distance itself from Lakes. I know at one time he was banned from NDSU sporting events, including football tailgating. Of course he's been banned from Bisonville (not an easy accomplishment) so he had to start his own website. I know you guys know this, but he in no way represents NDSU and I am personally embarrassed we cheer for the same team.

Because of his history promoting NDSU it is very likely that the NCAA would consider him a booster. Therefore, his activities could still be considered violations even though NDSU has tried to create distance.

The UND Compliance twitter account periodically tweets reminders that it is an NCAA violation for fans to contact prospective student athletes or committed student athletes until that athlete has taken a class at the school. I imagine it's generally a very minor violation but lakes is likely close to the point where a flag could be raised.

Exactly! Gotta get Wilkie here!

I have been saying this since last year when he led the state of MN in passing as a Jr, but of course our genius coaching staff hasn't offered and someone else will probably steal him. Worst of all, he will probably end up playing against us and setting some kind of NCAA record for passing yards. I watched him play in person last year against Edina and watched video from this year and I honestly do not understand why we haven't pursued this kid. Do we really have a chance of getting someone better?

I have been saying this since last year when he led the state of MN in passing as a Jr, but of course our genius coaching staff hasn't offered and someone else will probably steal him. Worst of all, he will probably end up playing against us and setting some kind of NCAA record for passing yards. I watched him play in person last year against Edina and watched video from this year and I honestly do not understand why we haven't pursued this kid. Do we really have a chance of getting someone better?

Have any other "genius" coaching staffs offered him yet?

once again can you give us some examples of NDSU not having any regard for NCAA regulations? Just because you say it doent make it true

They looked the other way when rampant steroid abuse was going on in the football program in 1980's and early 1990's. There really is no denying that as it's been thoroughly documented. Also, despite the claims on here that the university has tried to distance itself from Lakes, it would appear that he continues to have uncommon access to players. I played college football at UND and if there was a fan or booster like Lakes it was reinforced by the coaching staff that we were supposed to stay the hell away from him. Either the NDSU football team doesn't listen to their coaches when it comes to ostracizing Lakes or the coaching staff sees some tangible benefit in him having access.

They looked the other way when rampant steroid abuse was going on in the football program in 1980's and early 1990's. There really is no denying that as it's been thoroughly documented. Also, despite the claims on here that the university has tried to distance itself from Lakes, it would appear that he continues to have uncommon access to players. I played college football at UND and if there was a fan or booster like Lakes it was reinforced by the coaching staff that we were supposed to stay the hell away from him. Either the NDSU football team doesn't listen to their coaches when it comes to ostracizing Lakes or the coaching staff sees some tangible benefit in him having access.

You are aware that American sports in general had issues with steroids in the 80's. I am 100% sure UND never had anyone on the team using the juice.....LOL

According to that link we don't have 1 commit?

Yes we do, look at the very top. We've got Develyn Ferguson, 6'1”, 175, 4.5, Wauwautosa (West) WI

I'm very nervious about not having more by now. National Signing Day is 3 months away and I think the ony reason we got Ferguson was that he had no other offers. Looks like Muss and this losing season are turning recruits off, plus they don't know who the next coach will be.