SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky/WAC Merger

GeauxSioux

Why would NMSU stick around for a WAC without FBS football or discussions with the Big Sky? If the Big Sky was going to "allocate" schools to the WAC in a joint venture to keep a western BB bid, there still won't be FBS football. So basically NMSU is gone for all practical purposes, trying to find a crack in the door somewhere else to keep football at the top level.

It's too bad that there are not another 6 FCS schools in the west or central region willing to jump to the WAC for FBS football. If there were still 3 or 4 others schools beside NMSU and Idaho in WAC playing football, it would be more intriguing to consider.

With Montana saying no to FBS football in the WAC, this thing is likely dead. Montana might have been able to pull 3 or 4 schools with them if they had bought in to the move.

Montana was smart in saying no to the WAC they knew the more attractive conference would be the MW.

Montana was smart in saying no to the WAC they knew the more attractive conference would be the MW.

Do you think that Montana would say yes to the MWC if they got an offer today? Is Montana a significantly better candidate than Idaho? Montana's offer to the MWC will likely come someday in the next 10 years, and it will be interesting to see if MSU and others get pulled along.

Do you think that Montana would say yes to the MWC if they got an offer today? Is Montana a significantly better candidate than Idaho? Montana's offer to the MWC will likely come someday in the next 10 years, and it will be interesting to see if MSU and others get pulled along.

Oh hell ya. If any FCS team out west was offered the MW invite they would go. And I think Montana with their bigger stadium and success in the FCS is a way better candidate than Idaho.

Oh hell ya. If any FCS team out west was offered the MW invite they would go. And I think Montana with their bigger stadium and success in the FCS is a way better candidate than Idaho.

It would be a major slap to Idaho if they are forced to the FCS Big Sky, then Montana is asked to move up two years from now, and not Idaho. Ouch!

Idaho in every form is a FCS school: fan support, facilities, enrollment, Moscow. They have had plenty of time to build their programs. I believe they play basketball in their dome and average under two thousand fans. Time for Idaho to look in the mirror.

• Upvote 2

It would be a major slap to Idaho if they are forced to the FCS Big Sky, then Montana is asked to move up two years from now, and not Idaho. Ouch!

Currently Montana outweighs Idaho from fan base to stadium to championships. Idaho and Montana should've been in each others places. Idaho belongs in the FCS and should stay there until the rest of us (UM, MSU, UND, hell Cal Poly) is ready to move up.

NMSU is saying merger talks with the Big Sky are not dead yet. Star2City (siouxfan) where are you?

New Mexico State Athletics Director McKinley Boston said the WAC's still in discussions with the Big Sky Conference on possible partnership, one where certain non-football affiliates would merge. Such an agreement would help keep the WAC alive while opening additional automatic qualifying bids for Big Sky athletics programs (the league currently has 11 in its Olympic-sports membership) into NCAA Tournaments.

"There are very good discussions taking place in our efforts to rebuild the WAC," Boston said. "In discussions with Big Sky. I'm very encouraged based on conversations we're having."

Aggie football isn't only sport affected by conference shuffle Saturday Aug 25

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure there is enough money and interest among the BSC schools to get this off the ground. A lot of FCS proponents site that they like playing for a national championship every year, but there appears to be more money and visibility playing FBS. Wouldn't mind seeing UND in an FBS conference with the right schools.

• Upvote 1

That's a very interesting article.

I wonder if NMSU would be willing to drop down the the FCS level? If not, I don't think they'd go Big Sky. On the other hand, what are their options? I don't beleive the MWC wants them right now.

Either way, I feel that UND has put themselves in a very good conference situation with the Big Sky!

From what I understand if the WAC folds, exiting fees would not have to be paid by schools leaving the WAC. If the WAC were to somehow stay afloat then the WAC would be a fairly wealthy conference. I wonder if they are trying to figure out a way to use that money to entice BSC schools to consider FBS by helping out with the additional scholarships needed to make the jump?

Big Sky boss: Idaho likely to be member in 2014-15

Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton said Wednesday it is likely that the Idaho Vandals will join his league in all sports beside football for the 2014-15 season.

"We're down to the last two sentences in our agreement," Fullerton said.

Idaho Athletic Director Rob Spear said in a text message earlier this week that there was nothing to report on the Vandals' plans.

It doesn't sound like Idaho or Fullerton are still talking about a WAC/BSC merger. So when NMSU says that they are in discussion with the Big Sky I think it is more likely they are saying they are considering non-football membership. At this point they don't have many more options. And it would be stupid for them not to be prepared for any scenario.

But I still wouldn't mind seeing UND join the WAC as long as it was with the right group of schools.

Big Sky boss: Idaho likely to be member in 2014-15

It doesn't sound like Idaho or Fullerton are still talking about a WAC/BSC merger. So when NMSU says that they are in discussion with the Big Sky I think it is more likely they are saying they are considering non-football membership. At this point they don't have many more options. And it would be stupid for them not to be prepared for any scenario.

But I still wouldn't mind seeing UND join the WAC as long as it was with the right group of schools.

I can't believe the BSC would even entertain the idea of NMSU, geographically it makes no sense.

I can't believe the BSC would even entertain the idea of NMSU, geographically it makes no sense.

The same could be said of UND (actually it was). I'm pretty sure that NMSU is closer to Northern Arizona, and probably both Northern Colorado and Southern Utah, than UND is to anyone.

The same could be said of UND (actually it was). I'm pretty sure that NMSU is closer to Northern Arizona, and probably both Northern Colorado and Southern Utah, than UND is to anyone.

And look at how many BSC schools and their fan bases had second thoughts about UND once South Dakota declined the invitation. They would add decent academics and athletic facilities, but there's a reason no one else wanted them including the Sun Belt.

And look at how many BSC schools and their fan bases had second thoughts about UND once South Dakota declined the invitation. They would add decent academics and athletic facilities, but there's a reason no one else wanted them including the Sun Belt.

Without the WAC, the Big Sky is probably one of the best fits for them. We don't know how many schools had second thoughts about UND after USD declined. We know that some fans did, and some bloggers did. Fans and bloggers don't have a lot of input into the conference decision making process. The school presidents make the decisions. They liked UND for a lot of reasons. NMSU has some similar qualities. NMSU will get serious consideration if the school presidents believe that it will strengthen the conference.

NMSU's Boston is still talking about a WAC/Big Sky merger. Wednesday's Albuquerque Journal

http://www.abqjourna...he-big-sky.html

Here is the NMSU release and video that the article is referring to. This is the most important comment from Boston in the video:

We are currently in conversations with the Big Sky, who is looking for an avenue to pursue possible FBS football.

But this could be taken a couple different ways. Does he mean the WAC is still talking with the BSC? Does he mean NMSU is talking to the BSC and the BSC is interested in sponsoring both FBS & FCS football? Is he pulling this out of his yahoo to keep his fans and alumni happy?

UND is 813 miles from Bozeman, MT (the closest)

NMSU (Las Cruses) to NAU 475 miles

NMSU to UNC 723 miles

NMSU to SUU 768 miles

NMSU to Weber St 857 miles

UND is 813 miles from Bozeman, MT (the closest)

NMSU (Las Cruses) to NAU 475 miles

NMSU to UNC 723 miles

NMSU to SUU 768 miles

NMSU to Weber St 857 miles

Don't they usually fly to games anyhow? From what little I know about this stuff, which is not a lot, NMSU seems to be out of their league playing a FBS schedule.

distance between conference schools doesn't mean much anymore for schools like und that charter to most sporting events...i'm assuming that nmsu would be the same in terms of having enough money to fly to whatever conference ends up taking them?

ask most athletes would you rather fly a few hours west to missoula, mt (und) or bus 4-6 hours to fort wayne, in (ndac, sdsu, usd, omaha, uni)???

• Upvote 2

distance between conference schools doesn't mean much anymore for schools like und that charter to most sporting events...i'm assuming that nmsu would be the same in terms of having enough money to fly to whatever conference ends up taking them?

ask most athletes would you rather fly a few hours west to missoula, mt (und) or bus 4-6 hours to fort wayne, in (ndac, sdsu, usd, omaha, uni) ???

UND doesn't charter for all sports. I'm pretty sure that even basketball doesn't fly charter. The distance makes the biggest difference for the non-revenue sports. Track, golf, baseball, softball, soccer, etc. all have to travel but they aren't going to fly charter and would drive any place they possible could. Unfortunately, there are a limited number of smaller Division I programs so they all have to travel long distances. NMSU has been in the WAC for a while so they are used to traveling. The Big Sky would not be a problem for them as far as travel is concerned. The 2 main questions are would NMSU be willing to take what they would consider a step down to the Big Sky, and would the Big Sky be interested in another school that is somewhat outside the conference footprint.