SiouxSports.com Forum

Mussman contract extended as UND begins Big Sky play

SloStang

Nagy just made it to the Dance for the first time. He has not been that successful until this season. I do not know if his salary changed after that or not.

I thought it was a fine article, all he did was pointed out the lower salaries.

lower salaries doesn't mean lower quality. The coach is NOT on the field. Was Bohl overpaid for their 3-8 team?

Darell just admit it both Muss and Jones are on the bubble this year. IMO

I wouldn't say on the bubble but a I mentioned above, both coaches have already noted that they have to prove themselves. They have had the opportunity to build their programs for this year and next. That has also been stated many times on this board. Really not a secret Danno.

Also, I didn't note that Jones was 2-1 last year against those other higher paid coaches in the article.

• Upvote 1

Nagy just made it to the Dance for the first time. He has not been that successful until this season. I do not know if his salary changed after that or not.

I thought it was a fine article, all he did was pointed out the lower salaries.

I may be wrong but I believe SDSU's contracts are one year deals that are renewed yearly so as I said above, your comparing the yearly salary of a coach who just made it through transition to a coach who led his team to NCAA tournament.

Mussmans seat was as hot as Bohls was after going 3-8 he was coaching for his job last year. If he does poorly this year I bet he'd get one more year

Personally so far, even as a UND supporter I have been more impressed with Bohl than Mussman. However, if Bohl was such a great coach he would be entertaining offers from FBS schools. The next 5 years, head to head, not necessarily on the field, will be interesting. If Bohl is truly a great coach he will repeat at least once as FCS champ and move on to bigger things. I understand he has a few skeletons, but so do a lot of FBS coaches. If Muss is a great coach UND will be at or near the top of FCS rankings and perhaps pull an upset or two ala NDSU. It is a great time for ND college football. I cannot wait to see how the next 5 years play out. It is gonna be FUN!!!

• Upvote 1

lower salaries doesn't mean lower quality. The coach is NOT on the field.

Was Bohl overpaid for their 3-8 team?

He was overpaid for putting a team with no defense on the field.

Personally so far, even as a UND supporter I have been more impressed with Bohl than Mussman. However, if Bohl was such a great coach he would be entertaining offers from FBS schools. The next 5 years, head to head, not necessarily on the field, will be interesting. If Bohl is truly a great coach he will repeat at least once as FCS champ and move on to bigger things. I understand hehas a few skeletons, but so do a lot of FBS coaches. If Muss is a great coach UND will be at or near the top of FCS rankings and perhaps pull an upset or two ala NDSU. It is a great time for ND college football. I cannot wait to see how the next 5 years play out. It is gonna be FUN!!!

I see what you are saying. But it should be noted that Jerry Moore at App State is still hanging out there. I believe he did try to the FBS thing once upon a time though, not entirely sure.

Bohl is getting older and sooner or later, he might be off the radar of the big schools at some point. The good thing about losing coaches to FBS schools, it makes your school more attractive to high quality coaches. Such as Klieman from Northern Iowa, we pay coaches well here apparently, so we steal a coach from the cream of the Valley. Also took a coach from Tulane I believe, FBS school.

If UND can be competitve and finish towards the top of the Sky, it will be a great time for casual fans in North Dakota.

Personally, I find it embarrassing if it is true that Saul Phillips makes twice as much as Brian Jones. Both have been on the job for about the same amount of time, had similar backgrounds before being head coaches, and both have had average at best success. The gap between the salaries of the South Dakota basketball coaches don't bother me nearly as much as the apparent one between North Dakota and NDSU. Neither ND school is a "basketball" school, but UND has always been more of one than NDSU.

I'm not surprised by the football salaries so much. My bet is that if Lennon were still here he'd be making a hefty sum more than Mussman currently does. Stig and Bohl have each been at their program for a number of years and have proven track records. Glenn is a USD legend, a DII National Champion, a DI National Champion, and has FBS experience. Not suprising that USD was willing to fork over a good salary for him.

I'm still not seeing Muss as the guy to take us to the promised land. I'll give you that he has improved, but some of my most frustrating moments as a football fan have come from watching his teams. In addition, the atmosphere in the Alerus was shot the last couple of years. I hope things improve and he deserves another year or two, but I'm not feeling all of the love he is getting. This program has a year or two at best to get the fans back or it will be a long decade. We need someone who knows how to win and how to coach to win. Not sure he's our guy.

Darell just admit it both Muss and Jones are on the bubble this year. IMO

How do you get that out of what I said?? All I said was lower salaries doesn't mean lower quality. You Bison fans think the all mighty (Bohl) deserves an NFL type salary because your program is greater than any FBS team out there...but what about their 3-8 team? or how about the 6-5 team before that. NDSU wasn't at the top of the world after transition until their 4th year out of the Great West. Muss is in year number ONE out of the Great West so lets see where this team is at before saying he is on the bubble. If UND has years in the BSC at the end of year 3 like they did in the GW then I think it would be time to look elsewhere. But since he turned a team from 3-8 to 5-3 (DI only) plus a conference title and beating a ranked team on the road it shows he has this team on the right path. If UND had a Preposterous Statement thread like on BVille...you would be on there.

How do you get that out of what I said?? All I said was lower salaries doesn't mean lower quality. You Bison fans think the all mighty (Bohl) deserves an NFL type salary because your program is greater than any FBS team out there...but what about their 3-8 team? or how about the 6-5 team before that. NDSU wasn't at the top of the world after transition until their 4th year out of the Great West. Muss is in year number ONE out of the Great West so lets see where this team is at before saying he is on the bubble. If UND has years in the BSC at the end of year 3 like they did in the GW then I think it would be time to look elsewhere. But since he turned a team from 3-8 to 5-3 (DI only) plus a conference title and beating a ranked team on the road it shows he has this team on the right path. If UND had a Preposterous Statement thread like on BVille...you would be on there.

Facts are facts. If Fiason and company really had faith in them they'd get a average contract not a extended below average contract.

Here is a link to Jeremy Hoeck blog at the P&D that has the coaches’ salaries for USD/SDSU. It looks like UND and USD are very comparable. The only outliner would be Boots but he is also the assistant AD and has been at USD for years. So, it is reasonable to see that Jones is paid less. If, Jones/Brewster and Mussman are successful they will get paid. Little surprised by SDSU - they have definitely increased salaries in the last several years. Football program has slipped the last two years big year at SDSU - the USD game looms very large. A loss to USD could be interesting.

USD:

Joe Glenn, football, $127,260

Dave Boots, men’s basketball/Asst AD, $122,780

Ryun Williams women’s basketball $96,000

- Amy Williams in the coach now not sure of salary information

SDSU:

John Stiegelmeier, football, $150,010

Scott Nagy, men’s basketball, $152,000

Aaron Johnston, women’s basketball, $161,358

UND:

Mussman, football $114,612

Jones mens basketball $86,334

Gene Roebuck women’s basketball $110,000

- Travis Brewster in the coach now not sure of salary information.

NDSU

Bohl football $196,668

Saul Phillips basketball $135,000

Carolyn DeHoff women’s basketball $113,400

http://pressdakotan.wordpress.com/

http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0719%20Salaries.pdf

Facts are facts. If Fiason and company really had faith in them they'd get a average contract not a extended below average contract.

What facts?? Muss weeded out the DII players and entered "his" players for the future. Are we still doing the NDSU kicked ass in transition and UND didn't do crap comparasion again. Its transition...Who Gives a ****!!! NDSU 1 GWFC title...UND 1 GWFC title. Both teams did equally well. Now NDSU 2 playoff appearances in 4 seasons. Now lets see how UND does in the next 4 seasons. Muss has 3 years to prove himself against the same competition as Bohl did when they left the GWFC. In your opinion what is an average contract?? Anything at or above Bohl's? :silly:

• 2 months later...

For the past couple of years, I've felt that Coach Mussman's long-term future at UND would be pretty evident by the middle of this season, one way or the other.

I like the guy, but I can't say I didn't have some doubts. He started in a hole and had some obstacles during transition that were not his doing.

Considering where we were a very short time ago (Sioux Falls loss, etc.), I am very impressed with how close we may be to doing some serious damage in the Big Sky.

The next few weeks could be a blast.

I'm still not seeing Muss as the guy to take us to the promised land. I'll give you that he has improved, but some of my most frustrating moments as a football fan have come from watching his teams. In addition, the atmosphere in the Alerus was shot the last couple of years. I hope things improve and he deserves another year or two, but I'm not feeling all of the love he is getting. This program has a year or two at best to get the fans back or it will be a long decade. We need someone who knows how to win and how to coach to win. Not sure he's our guy.

We get it. From your previous posts we understand you know more about football than Mussman and the staff. You understand things that they don't. You know better what the players are capable of than the folks that have recruited and coached them for years. For many on the staff, their entire adult life has been involved in college football. But, you "know" things they don't. You have the guts and know how to "coach to win", unlike them. What I don't understand is why you aren't helping the staff directly instead of couch-coaching.

You say "he has improved". I would call it a change in circumstances (Lennon leaving, the transition, the nickname, etc) to the stability of the BSC we are going to see going forward...........rather than the fact of his improving.

I don't personally know any of the current UND football coaches, but I've been involved with and a fan of the program for well over 40 years. I guess I'm jealous I don't have your special insight and expertise. I'll have to try and deal with that.

• Upvote 4

For the past couple of years, I've felt that Coach Mussman's long-term future at UND would be pretty evident by the middle of this season, one way or the other.

I like the guy, but I can't say I didn't have some doubts. He started in a hole and had some obstacles during transition that were not his doing.

Considering where we were a very short time ago (Sioux Falls loss, etc.), I am very impressed with how close we may be to doing some serious damage in the Big Sky.

The next few weeks could be a blast.

I had doubts about Muss early on in the transition days. The 2010 3-8 season was a reason I wanted Muss gone, but when he turned things around in 2011 I figured give him a good year or two in the BSC and see what he can have this team do, and this team is shocking people. We have come close 3 times to beating a FBS team (SDSU, NIU, FSU), we have beaten ranked teams (CP in 09, USD in 2011, and SUU on the road in 2011). We have come a long way from losing heartbreaking games in 2010, and so far this team is showing something it hasn't seen since 2007....playoff capability.

We get it. From your previous posts we understand you know more about football than Mussman and the staff. You understand things that they don't. You know better what the players are capable of than the folks that have recruited and coached them for years. For many on the staff, their entire adult life has been involved in college football. But, you "know" things they don't. You have the guts and know how to "coach to win", unlike them. What I don't understand is why you aren't helping the staff directly instead of couch-coaching.

You say "he has improved". I would call it a change in circumstances (Lennon leaving, the transition, the nickname, etc) to the stability of the BSC we are going to see going forward...........rather than the fact of his improving.

I don't personally know any of the current UND football coaches, but I've been involved with and a fan of the program for well over 40 years. I guess I'm jealous I don't have your special insight and expertise. I'll have to try and deal with that.

Well said.

Wow - apparently my comment has been irritating you since July - I'm glad you finally thought of a fitting retort - the always popular "you think you know more than the coaches". I'm not the only fan that has been frustrated with some of the game decisions and some of the transition. He still needs a signature win and a breakout season in my opinion. So far so good this season, but we do have a defense to get on track. In my mind, the jury is still out. Since this is a fan discussion board where people express their opinions, I guess you will have to learn to try and deal with that.

Wow - apparently my comment has been irritating you since July - I'm glad you finally thought of a fitting retort - the always popular "you think you know more than the coaches". I'm not the only fan that has been frustrated with some of the game decisions and some of the transition. He still needs a signature win and a breakout season in my opinion. So far so good this season, but we do have a defense to get on track. In my mind, the jury is still out. Since this is a fan discussion board where people express their opinions, I guess you will have to learn to try and deal with that.

Go back and read some of your posts. You didn't simply say you disagreed with the football coaching, you explained how you knew more than them.....that somehow they didn't understand things that you apparently do. Others didn't like some of the coaching decisions, but you are the only one on here who, more than once, explained how you knew more than Mussman. That is just sadly delusional, and that is all I was pointing out. Vastly different than just expressing your opinion.

You are absolutely welcome to have an opinion on anything. I'm just pointing out how little you know about the inner workings of everything that goes into recruiting and preparing a team for a game and for a season. My opinion is you know far, far less than they do. It's childish and quite frankly sad to bash the coaching decsions explaining you know things they don't while having so very little knowledge. Good to know your personal jury is still out. Luckily for the UND football team, the coaches and fans, decisions about coaches and personnel are made by adults with more experience and knowledge than you get from playing video games.

Go back and read some of your posts. You didn't simply say you disagreed with the football coaching, you explained how you knew more than them.....that somehow they didn't understand things that you apparently do. Others didn't like some of the coaching decisions, but you are the only one on here who, more than once, explained how you knew more than Mussman. That is just sadly delusional, and that is all I was pointing out. Vastly different than just expressing your opinion.

You are absolutely welcome to have an opinion on anything. I'm just pointing out how little you know about the inner workings of everything that goes into recruiting and preparing a team for a game and for a season. My opinion is you know far, far less than they do. It's childish and quite frankly sad to bash the coaching decsions explaining you know things they don't while having so very little knowledge. Good to know your personal jury is still out. Luckily for the UND football team, the coaches and fans, decisions about coaches and personnel are made by adults with more experience and knowledge than you get from playing video games.

Is this Mrs. Mussman?

• 1 month later...

How do you like him now? I never said I was smarter than the coaches, but I sure as hell could manage the end of a game better than Muss did today.

• Upvote 2