SiouxSports.com Forum

Mussman contract extended as UND begins Big Sky play

SloStang

With a three year extension it seems that Faison finally has Mussman's back. I think he may prove to be a far better coach than many gave him credit for in the past. He also is a very real coach and lacks that element of bs like other coaches (Craig 'leadfoot' Bohl). He has this team headed in the right direction in a hurry.

Nice thread. Looks like I'm stealing your thunder

Must of been posting at the same time, you are just quicker (2 minutes). I checked to see if it was posted before I started and there was not a thread. I guess great minds think a like.

There has always been people who say that Muss isn't a good coach and that we should move in a new direction. I am not one of those people. I think Muss has done a great job, expecially with recruiting. Sure we had a bad year 2 years ago and last year was a little rocky at times. But I think that he has really set us up with the recruits he has brought in to be a very good team this year and the next couple years. I guess time will tell. But put me on the side that is for the Muss extension!

I think it was a great move as well. Many people tend to forget that he had to pull the team through the transition; playing with D2 holdovers for the most part. Not an easy thing to do and in the end he did a great job with what he had.

If you want a good laugh go read some of the comments on his article on gfherald.com . Bunch of real sports geniuses over there :silly:

I'm a fan of the extension. Muss got us through a very difficult situation with the transition and I think most believe we are pretty well set up for our first year of playoff eligibility. He's also had his difficulties, but I don't believe it would be fair to evaluate him based solely on what he did during the transition. This extension will give Faison 4 years of full D1 Big Sky competition to evaluate whether or not he is what's best for the future of UND football. I'm optimistic that he is, but if he's not he will at least get a fair evaluation.

• Upvote 2

With a three year extension it seems that Faison finally has Mussman's back. I think he may prove to be a far better coach than many gave him credit for in the past. He also is a very real coach and lacks that element of bs like other coaches (Craig 'leadfoot' Bohl). He has this team headed in the right direction in a hurry.

What?

Probably premature on extending the contract for Muss. I would want to see what he does this year.

That may be true, but I think he deserves to see these last two recruiting classes play out. When this extension is up, the 2 most recent recruiting classes will have just finished their redshirt senior and redshirt junior seasons. They will also be the first two classes to play entirely outside the transition (except any true freshmen from this last season). I think that's a fair point to evaluate his D1 coaching worth. I may be more patient than most fans and even a lot of athletic directors, but I would rather give him his shot than risk hiring a new guy who flops while Mussman has success elsewhere.

Seems to just point out that UND primarily remains a hockey school. ???

IMO, it's an apples to oranges comparison to compare what Muss and Jones make to what long-time coaches like Stieg, Glenn and Boots make. Muss will be making about $15k more than what Meierkort made last year. Had anybody other than Glenn taken the USD job, I suspect his salary would have been less than $115k. If Stieg left and SDSU promoted an assistant, would he make more than $115k? Doubtful.

A far more valid comparison would be what UND pays Brewster compared to the new hire at USD. I'm guessing Brewster is making significantly more.

If you scroll down on that page it talks about SDSU's Under Armour deal..... we need one with Nike asap

Yeah, a Nike deal or even an Under Armour deal would be great; however, I'm wondering how that would affect the hockey team. Would Nike or UA require the hockey team to wear their uniforms also? I'm not even sure if UA makes hockey uniforms but obviously Nike does.

Yeah, a Nike deal or even an Under Armour deal would be great; however, I'm wondering how that would affect the hockey team. Would Nike or UA require the hockey team to wear their uniforms also? I'm not even sure if UA makes hockey uniforms but obviously Nike does.

BC wears UA uniforms in hockey. If we are successful as a whole in the Big Sky next year you can bet we'll have a deal shortly. How much is left on the Reebok contract for hockey?

If any of the other coaches have the success that Hakstol and the hockey program have had, their salaries will go way up. You can't just pay your coaches more and expect success to follow, it's the other way around.

Most definitely; as Mussman and/or Jones have success in the Big Sky moving forward, they should receive the appropriate compensation to justify it. I’d agree with the notion that right now they haven't done anything to warrant a significant DI contract, but hopefully that changes in the near future.

• Upvote 1

Tim Walsh at Cal Poly was making in the $190,000 range prior to signing an extension this year. I have not seen the terms of the extension. Although you can probably live more comfortably in North Dakota on $114,000 then on $190,000 on the Cenrtal Coast of California.

Most definitely; as Mussman and/or Jones have success in the Big Sky moving forward, they should receive the appropriate compensation to justify it. I’d agree with the notion that right now they haven't done anything to warrant a significant DI contract, but hopefully that changes in the near future.

I was thinking the same thing. Look at Muss's coaching record so far (not impressive), why not give him a good salary (anything over 100k is good) and a few years instead of a a huge salary with the chance he would bolt the following year. The guy from the Argus said he himself would take the money with set years (what a tool). If SDSU were to win it all and an FBS school came calling the following year (which means even more money) the coach (IMO) would bolt then SDSU would most likely have to start over (new coach's recruits, gameplan, etc.). I would love to ask Vandrovec was it worth taking the more money instead of the more years and less money? I think if Muss proves himself as a good coach, with winning records in the BSC and maybe even a playoff birth or two then you will see his contract be extended with more $$$$.

Is Terry V. really that shocked that a coach that has made the FCS playoffs (Stig), along with a coach who is very well known in the FCS world by having a Nat'l title on his resume and has BCS experience (Glenn)or a coach who has obviously been successful (Bohl) and a basketball a coach that has lead his team to the NCAA tourney (Nagy) are making that much more than coaches who's teams are just getting through transition? Both Mussman and Jone have themselves made it known that they are grateful for the raise but understand they need to continue to develop and prove themselves.

I was fairly shocked that USD was paying Boots that much but I guess he has been there for 25 years and is the assistant athletic director. I guess Terry V forgot to mention that. The guy is in the same boat as Kolpack where he lets his hate and envy for UND get in the way of facts when he writes articles.

Nagy just made it to the Dance for the first time. He has not been that successful until this season. I do not know if his salary changed after that or not.

I thought it was a fine article, all he did was pointed out the lower salaries.