SiouxSports.com Forum

FORUM: What's a bigger deal: NDSU football or UND hockey?

bincitysioux

Oh really? The state follows UND hockey religiously? That is a lie. If you ask people to name a UND hockey player, they won't be able to do it. If they followed UND hockey religiously, they'd be able to tell you UND's first line easily.

Are you high? Pretty much anyone could name ONE PLAYER that played hockey at UND! You would have a little more trouble being able to find someone who could name a person who played football at NDSU!

By the way, where is the Nickel trophy?

Are you high? Pretty much anyone could name ONE PLAYER that played hockey at UND! You would have a little more trouble being able to find someone who could name a person who played football at NDSU!

Played hockey. Not play hockey currently. Most people would have trouble naming a current UND hockey player. Besides, you might think that, but you'd be surprised how little some people care about certain sports or certain teams. People who are bigtime sports fans could easily do it for either school.

The Nickel Trophy is probably somewhere in Grand Forks. That has no relevance in the discussion.

Like many have pointed out, it is a dumb debate.

Waiting for a Bison troll to bring out the "I'd rather have a National Championship than the nickel anyday" argument in 3.......2........1.......

What do people want to see?

Tom Miller of the GF Herald just Tweeted:

UND and @Midcontinent announce 5-year broadcast partnership. Deal includes 45 live games for next season.

In a replied tweet he told me that he will know more information around 2 PM today as he just saw the release with not much detail.

My main question was will this just be televised regional or will they work something out so that alumni out west (Colorado for example) will be able to see games like when we had the FCS deal. That was pretty cool.

In the end I would be happy if they improved the feed quality of the webcasts; I know Jason Hajdu mentioned that they were working on that...

Waiting for a Bison troll to bring out the "I'd rather have a National Championship than the nickel anyday" argument in 3.......2........1.......

I would hope you'd rather have the National Championship than the Nickel.

But NDSU still has 6 games a year on KVLY!! :)

Everyone in the state can watch it ;)

If you wanted a more apples to apples comparison, it should have been NDSU football to Fargo Force hockey. The Sioux play Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Boston College, Boston U for D1 championships. NDSU played LeHigh, Jim Madison, Southern Georgia and Sam Houston State for theirs.

So you want to penalize NDSU for having more people around to go to games?

I'm not taking on a side in this poll but in reference to the question posted above...obviously!

I mean I wouldn't necessarily refer to it as a penalty but rather a statistical fact that must be included in the argument (if this argument must be had). To expect a total population to have no impact on attendance for any event within that population is illogical.

NDSU has about a student population about 10% higher than UND so we should expect like for like comparisons of student attendance (which this poll is not) to be about 10% higher at NDSU than at UND. The city population of Fargo is about twice that of Grand Forks so we should expect like for like comparisons of non-student attendance to be about twice as high at NDSU events than like for like UND events.

Another factor, which is specific to this poll, is the popularity of the sports in question. Anybody who disagrees that football is the more popular sport in this country when compared to hockey is either a liar or is simply ignorant on the topic. I would expect a football game in a football market to attract at least two times the fans as a hockey game in a hockey market.

Given that UND hockey games attract around 11,000 people we can probably assume it's about 1/3 students and 2/3 other. Meaning about 3,600 or so students and 7,200 or so other (this only gives us 10,800 so I'm actually low balling the attendance total at UND hockey games for this example).

I would, therefore, expect the student attendance to be around 4,000 if our student population was as large as NDSUs and the other population to be around 14,400 if the population of Grand Forks was as large as that of NDSU.

This gives us a total attendance of 18,400 for hockey if the population was equal to that of Fargo. Doubling that for footbal if we were in a football market gives us 36,800.

If NDSU

Hockey people are going to say UND; Football people are going to say NDSU.

Pretty simple.

I'm a football guy but I'm not going to deny that UND hockey is bigger. Though I must say it pisses me off when hockey only fans call the FCS a jv championship they get associated with me since we both like UND hockey and make me look like a prick which I don't appreciate. So please hockey only fans take your noses out of the air and stop making UND look bad.

• Upvote 3