SiouxSports.com Forum

Realistic Expectations for UND in the Big Sky

ALPHAGRIZ1

There are very few run first teams in the BSC.

Off the top of my head, the MVFC and socon are both run first conferences. Not to mention the big10 and sec.

If people want to run around praising the ground defense (which I agree, is UND's relative strength), and say that run heavy teams aren't a problem, when in fact UND hasn't played any particularly capable ground teams, and those that have come close, they have lost to.

What I'm trying to get at is that based on the last few years, we shouldn't be overestimating our strengths. Montana will likely be the best rushing team UND has played in a while, and to run around saying that it won't be a problem, is plainly without support.

As I pointed out in this thread, Big Sky offenses generate 41% of their yards via the run, compared to 43% in the MVFC.

Additionally, the top 3 teams in the Big Sky standings a year ago were also the top 3 running teams in the conference. Two of those teams had the #1 and #2 run defenses in the league. And the top 4 passing teams in the Big Sky had a combined conference record of 9-23.

I'd hardly call the Missouri Valley a "run-first" conference. I'm not sure that one of those exist in this day and age....................................

• Upvote 2

How many times has NDSU actually played a football game in January? This year....and then when else?

Take a joke. It was a championship joke. Take 'er easy.

As I pointed out in this thread, Big Sky offenses generate 41% of their yards via the run, compared to 43% in the MVFC.

Additionally, the top 3 teams in the Big Sky standings a year ago were also the top 3 running teams in the conference. Two of those teams had the #1 and #2 run defenses in the league. And the top 4 passing teams in the Big Sky had a combined conference record of 9-23.

I'd hardly call the Missouri Valley a "run-first" conference. I'm not sure that one of those exist in this day and age....................................

You can be run-first and still generate more of your yards through the air.

You can be run-first and still generate more of your yards through the air.

You are right, but the point is that it's all relative....................

North Dakota was the epitome of a "run-first" team last season, because we did not have the personell to throw the ball with consistent success. Southern Utah was a "pass-first" team last season because they didn't have the personell to run the ball with consistent success. NDSU was an ideal 50/50 team last year in my eyes, just like they were in the Steve Walker years. Jensen is no Walker, but he runs your offense efficiently and mistake free. Jose Mohler...................not so much.

Everybody wants to be balanced. In the Big Sky, I'd say only EWU is philosophically a pass-first team.

Thats probably because teams like UNC and ISU had to come from behind and running the ball isn't going to get you points in a hurry.

I think when people say "run first", most of the time what they are really talking about is the style of play in the conference. When "run first" teams run the ball it is typically more of a power game with less misdirection. I think that is why people think of the MVFC as a "run first" conference. Because when they do run it is typically more of a power style of game. That's my perception of the situation anyway.

I think this is the same reason people think the B1G is a run first, slow conference in comparison to the SEC. In reality they probably pass just as much and have just as much speed as any of the other major conferences, but the style of play is typically a little more smashmouth when they do decide to run the ball.

• Upvote 1

I think when people say "run first", most of the time what they are really talking about is the style of play in the conference. When "run first" teams run the ball it is typically more of a power game with less misdirection. I think that is why people think of the MVFC as a "run first" conference. Because when they do run it is typically more of a power style of game. That's my perception of the situation anyway.

I think this is the same reason people think the B1G is a run first, slow conference in comparison to the SEC. In reality they probably pass just as much and have just as much speed as any of the other major conferences, but the style of play is typically a little more smashmouth when they do decide to run the ball.

this. he put into words what my idiotic brain can hardly put into coherent thoughts.

Nebraska was a prime example of a run first team (they used to get 300+ yards on the ground). They never had a QB known for his arm (Tommie Frazier was my favorite). I think if the BSC is pretty much a run first or close to balance offense then we fit in nicely.

I think almost every team generates more yards through the air. It's just the nature of a passing game. A run-first team, for me, is a team that runs the ball over 55% of the time. Anything under that is balance or pass-heavy.

i agree

Question for you on something that has bugged me in your posts. Why do you use the word "teh" when you say "teh UND" and "teh Herd"? Is there an inside joke or something I am missing out on??

That is a common error in typing; I catch myself doing it all the time. It is very easy to type "teh" when you are trying to type "the". If Johnboy would just type a little slower, he would catch it.

That is a common error in typing; I catch myself doing it all the time. It is very easy to type "teh" when you are trying to type "the". If Johnboy would just type a little slower, he would catch it.

Its intentional.

Getting way off topic, but here's more on the derivation of "teh". Not just a Bisonville thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teh

Ok, well thanks for the info. But just know that UND fans are well educated people and we use it in the gramitically correct verson (the). Ok, sorry for the sidetrack. back on topic.

Realistinc expectation fo UND this year in the Big Sky would be 4 wins in the conference and maybe a non conference win against Portland St. Combine that with the SD Mines game and that is 6 wins for us this year. I think that is attainable.

Ok, well thanks for the info. But just know that UND fans are well educated people and we use it in the gramitically correct verson (the). Ok, sorry for the sidetrack. back on topic.

Realistinc expectation fo UND this year in the Big Sky would be 4 wins in the conference and maybe a non conference win against Portland St. Combine that with the SD Mines game and that is 6 wins for us this year. I think that is attainable.

That seems realistic I'd say.