SiouxSports.com Forum

Capital project requests 2013-15

The Sicatoka

The ND SBoHE meets this week on 2013-2015 capital projects.

http://www.ndus.nodak.edu/uploads/resources/3430/6-14-12-sbhe-materials.pdf

Here are UND's capital project funding requests:

State Funded:

School of Medicine (either renovation, addition, or new building) -- $38.5, $68.3, or $124 million (depending on option chosen)

Law School renovation -- $4.35 million

Privately Funded (but must be approved for construction):

Student Housing Facility -- $19.2 million

Resident Apartment Building (buy, currently leased) -- $8.3 million

College of Business (renovation and addition) -- $20.5 million*

Indoor Track and Football Practice Field -- $19.5 million*

*reauthorization, originally approved in the 2009-11 plan.

Intesting note: For the School of Medicine, Option 3 ($124M) is for a brand new building that appears to be located where the soccer field currently resides in front of the bookstore/REA. Also, it doesn't look like the plans include anything for the demolition of the existing School of Medicine building, at least at this time.

Intesting note: For the School of Medicine, Option 3 ($124M) is for a brand new building that appears to be located where the soccer field currently resides in front of the bookstore/REA. Also, it doesn't look like the plans include anything for the demolition of the existing School of Medicine building, at least at this time.

Your assessment of Option 3 is correct. I heard once about a skyway over 6th Ave N that would connect the two if a new building were to come to pass.

As far as soccer, remember, there's a facilities master plan floating around out there somewhere that would put a soccer field field east of a proposed second parking ramp which would be located east of the existing ramp and on the east side of Columbia Road. (That area is currently the parking lot north of Memorial and old REA.)

Overviews start on page 95.

Specifics for UND are on pages 117-138 (state funded) and 197-200 (private funded). Note that because the COBPA and ITF projects are reauthorizations they don't have details pages.

No specific date for construction?

I really hope the state decides to build option 3 for the medical school. Trying to renovate such an old building seems like such a waste when you could build a brand new building across the street and still use the old one for certain things in it's current state.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else this its ridiculous that bsc wants to build a 35 million dollar fine arts building?

also can we please get some money for the engineering buildings, specifically Harrington?

I think there are enough people wasting their tuition on business degrees lets repurpose that money toward the engineers. You know, people who will actually make enough money to repay their loans.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone heard how things went with this?

Yes

Everyone got a little of something. UND got $10M to offer research and degree programs in western ND.

As for capital projects, the $38.5M (cheapest) option was chosen for the School of Medicine and UND also received $4.3M for law school renovations. Regarding the med school, it looks like a new 42,300 square foot building will be put up in what is now the parking lot on the corner of University/6th.

• 5 months later...
name='mg2009' timestamp='1340248728' post='566082']

anyone else this its ridiculous that bsc wants to build a 35 million dollar fine arts building?

also can we please get some money for the engineering buildings, specifically Harrington?

I think there are enough people wasting their tuition on business degrees lets repurpose that money toward the engineers. You know, people who will actually make enough money to repay their loans.

How much oil money is in the bank in Bismarck? Lots. Bismarck guys go for the gold 35 million arts center. Wow

I emailed Mac Schneider on the 7th and told him to keep his eyes open and to protect our turf.

With all the things UND has Med School, Law, EERC we GF and UND have the most to loose.

They will try to get some of these programs. Bismarck wants a 4 year college and when it gets one they will try partner with UND and get there own Med School and Law School. I believe it and so does other people.The state should spend wisely No one should get Taj Mahals. This is more important than sports. Support UND.

• 2 weeks later...

How much oil money is in the bank in Bismarck? Lots. Bismarck guys go for the gold 35 million arts center. Wow

I emailed Mac Schneider on the 7th and told him to keep his eyes open and to protect our turf.

With all the things UND has Med School, Law, EERC we GF and UND have the most to loose.

They will try to get some of these programs. Bismarck wants a 4 year college and when it gets one they will try partner with UND and get there own Med School and Law School. I believe it and so does other people.The state should spend wisely No one should get Taj Mahals. This is more important than sports. Support UND.

They've already built a new UND Med School Center for Family Medicine building in Bismarck. In my opinion, Bismarck probably should become a 4-year university though. Don't allow BSU to add any more sports and fund it along the lines of Dickinson. Close Mayville, Valley City, and Williston and reduce Dickinson to a 2-yr tech college.

IPF info posted on SFI.

• There are rumblings recently about the IPF fundraising progress being imminently close to putting a shovel in the ground. We have heard that approximately “only” 1 million more is needed to begin the project (after demolition) sometime this spring. Very promising, if true.

Look at this crap: http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/255425/

Replace 24 cubicles with a luxury space for one person who won't even be around full-time.

Thanks to Kelley for trying to shoot this down. Odds are, the Chancellor will get his space. Unfortunately , that is how higher ed works.