SiouxSports.com Forum

Dear any new Bakken Billionaires

Fetch

University of Phoenix

Would you really consider the University of Phoenix one of the finest colleges or universities in the country? That was the original claim, some of the finest colleges in the country don't have sports. Nothing about size, we're looking for quality of school. I don't think we're going to find Phoenix on any list of top colleges.

Some students/alums have an attachment to the school itself, but many (perhaps most) could care less about sports and have complete apathy towards the athletics program altogether. And some, like my cousin who attended the U of M, follow sports but have a favorite team that isn't one representing the school they attend. I would think I'm not going too far out on a limb when I suggest that probably the majority of fans of any college sports team never even attended the school that their favorite team represents. Stop spreading the myth that students/alums are better fans than those of us who only like the team and have no interest in the actual school itself.

I don't know why you would even try to make this argument when it is known you don't care about the team at all. The only thing you care about is the team's nickname.

I care about the team that has the Fighting Sioux nickname. Only after they adopt a different nickname would I no longer care about them.

Have you ever participated in an organized sport?? You don't seem to be able to comprehend what a team is....

• Upvote 1

Would you really consider the University of Phoenix one of the finest colleges or universities in the country? That was the original claim, some of the finest colleges in the country don't have sports. Nothing about size, we're looking for quality of school. I don't think we're going to find Phoenix on any list of top colleges.

Some people just don't get sarcasm. Don't be so angry.

Carry on with the attempted indoctrination of daveK.

Some people just don't get sarcasm. Don't be so angry.

Carry on with the attempted indoctrination of daveK.

Just wasn't sure, and there were no smilies so it's hard to tell sarcasm. Not angry at all, just trying to clarify. And Dave is a lost cause.

I always thought you were faster than that. I laughed when I read it since I got what he meant right away.

I always thought you were faster than that. I laughed when I read it since I got what he meant right away.

It is still a better example than anything Dave has provided to back up his statement. Not that it is surprising in the least. When you are someone who is never wrong, you just ignore the times you are incorrect or keep moving the target until the subject is changed.

It was late when I wrote that. I assumed that he was making a joke, but with some of the things that have been written lately I just wanted to be sure.

When you're someone who is never wrong you just ignore when someone calls you out for making a semantics argument.

Proclaiming should UND drop its athletic department because many of the finest schools in the country don't have athletics then not being able to name a single example is not semantics, its just making flat out false statements.

You tried to further you position by making a pretty bold statement, unfortunately there was no basis behind it.

The point is a school doesn't need athletics to provide a quality education, and you lost the debate as soon as you started deflecting from that point.

Rest assured, there was no winner. Other than the fact you showed how childish grown men can act on a discussion boad. Sad. Sad. Sad. :sad:

The point is a school doesn't need athletics to provide a quality education, and you lost the debate as soon as you started deflecting from that point.

Yes, a school can provide an education without offering athletics. It would be idiotic to argue against that. However, in the United States, there is not a single university ranked in the top 50 by US News that does not offer athletics in some regard. There are ZERO examples of top colleges in the US that do not offer athletics. If UND were to follow your advice and make a statement by abolishing athletics along with the nickname and still manage to maintain its status as a quality state institution of secondary education, they would be the FIRST in the HISTORY of the United States. No, athletics are not required to provide an education to students, but there have been many studies that show a correlation between making the NCAA basketball tournament and a sizeable increase in applications for admission in the years that follow. Successful athletics teams have an impact on the number of students that apply to a university, a higher number of applicants means the university can be more selective, therefore raising the quality of students at that university, therefore raising the quality of that university. UND's move to D1 gives them the OPPORTUNITY to greatly increase the quality of the university, not just the quality of its athletic teams.

Now, Dave, can you please provide us with an example of a top university that doesn't offer athletics? We're all dying to know.

What is the point of keeping the nickname if we don't have athletics. Then who do we cheer for...NDSU? Minnesota? I know I will always cheer for my favorite FBS team Nebraska. But sports would be very boring around here without UND.

It was late when I wrote that. I assumed that he was making a joke, but with some of the things that have been written lately I just wanted to be sure.

I know. I was just teasing you. I do have to agree with you though. Some of the posts that have been posted would make someone think.

I know. I was just teasing you. I do have to agree with you though. Some of the posts that have been posted would make someone think.

For example:

There is no point in keeping the nickname without athletics, but if we have the retire the name then we may as well retire athletics along with it. Because, in my opinion, what is the point in keep athletics with the nickname? They've put us into a damned if we do/damned if we don't situation. Then who do we cheer for in that scenario? I guess that would vary from person to person. In my case : Minnesota and whoever is playing against NDSU.

There is no point in keeping the nickname without athletics, but if we have the retire the name then we may as well retire athletics along with it. Because, in my opinion, what is the point in keep athletics with the nickname? They've put us into a damned if we do/damned if we don't situation. Then who do we cheer for in that scenario? I guess that would vary from person to person. In my case : Minnesota and whoever is playing against NDSU.

IMO, UND athletics > Sioux nickname.

Wrong again. The ND AG as well as the SBOHE agreed to the terms of the settlement with the NCAA.

We agreed to put ourselves into this position, obviously assuming we could get the 2 tribes to sign off to the agreement.

And like many people have stated Dave, the NCAA is a voluntary organization. We can walk away if we want to at any time. There's a reason why we haven't.

My point all along is that I think UND needs to put the ball in the NCAA's court by telling them "either we continue on as the Fighting Sioux without sanctions or else we pull the plug on athletics altogether".

Oh yeah, that'll show 'em. I have a better idea. Why don't you drive to Indianapolis, park yourself in front of the NC$$ headquarters, douse yourself in gasoline and strike a match? May as well "send a message" that gets more than 5 seconds of TV coverage ...

You really are delusional.

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, that'll show 'em. I have a better idea. Why don't you drive to Indianapolis, park yourself in front of the NC$$ headquarters, douse yourself in gasoline and strike a match? May as well "send a message" that gets more than 5 seconds of TV coverage ...

You really are delusional.

I'll pay for the gas....

My point all along is that I think UND needs to put the ball in the NCAA's court by telling them "either we continue on as the Fighting Sioux without sanctions or else we pull the plug on athletics altogether".

How does that "put the ball in the NCAA's court"?

I have to hear this..........................