SiouxSports.com Forum

Dear any new Bakken Billionaires

Fetch

How does that "put the ball in the NCAA's court"?

I have to hear this..........................

A better question might be "What do you really think would be the result, or the reaction from the NCAA?" My guess is it would be something like "So sorry to see you leave, and don't let the door hit you on the way out."
  • Upvote 1

A better question might be "What do you really think would be the result, or the reaction from the NCAA?" My guess is it would be something like "So sorry to see you leave, and don't let the door hit you on the way out."

I doubt the NCAA would waste that much breath.

It'd be more like, "See ya."

UND leaving the NCAA isn't going to matter to the NCAA. They don't care about UND. They know with hockey UND needs the NCAA or else UND won't make money on their #1 sport. I am sure UND can survive the NAIA with games against top dogs Mayville State, and Jamestown but hockey won't survive. Name stays = doom for UND athletics. Plain and simple.

My point all along is that I think UND needs to put the ball in the NCAA's court by telling them "either we continue on as the Fighting Sioux without sanctions or else we pull the plug on athletics altogether". Let's either do it our way or else not do it at all, because there is no honor in conforming to the unreasonable demands of a tyrant.

UND is not a big enough deal for the NCAA to care at all. If say....the BCS conferences all said that they were not going to stand for something, the NCAA would sweat. But why would the NCAA, care about a new division 1 school who really isn't nationally significant? If UND dropped out of sports at this point, college hockey fans would notice. It'd be the same thing if NDSU threatened to leave the NCAA. If you think that it would be any skin off of their back to watch UND walk away, it wouldn't. In all honesty, it might even make them happy because the nuisance that the nickname stuff has caused at UND.

DaveK, the state AG signed off on it, the state board of higher ed. signed off on it. Apparently, it your world, the honorable thing to do is to go back on your word. Say what you want about it being an unreasonable demand, but if you want to be part of the organization, you better just deal with it. And every other school with an indian mascot fixed the problem. Might just be time for you to accept that if UND keeps the name, the athletic programs you will be watching within 5-10 years are going to be exceptional average at best. If you get rid of the name(it is only a name, get over it.) UND athletics have a chance to be successful. You think it sucked being a UND fan while NDSU was on its run to the NC this year, wait until UND is no more significant to people in the state than Minot St. or U Mary.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "ultimatum"? In this particular case the NCAA would have to decide if they're willing to lose a member school over their hateful and racist policy. If they chose to keep the policy over keeping a member school it makes them look rather petty to state it mildly.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "ultimatum"?

You have to be in a position of power to give ultimatums. UND is not in such a position.

There are over 1200 members in the NCAA. They won't notice, heck, won't care about, the disappearance of one, especially one that's dared flaunt the rules of the organization.

• Upvote 3

How does that "put the ball in the NCAA's court"?

I have to hear this..........................

Was it everything that you'd hoped for? Why didn't anyone else think of giving the NCAA an "ultimatum"? Especially an "ultimatum" that "embarrasses" them by forcing them to either "lose" a school that keeps bothering them, or make them look "petty". Why, the plan is
  • Upvote 1