SiouxSports.com Forum

ND Supreme Court Rules against the NDSBoHE

Goon

There is incontinence and then there is what you write on this forum.... my goodness. You can't really be serious. What are we going to rub your nose in when we transition from D1 to NAIA when no D2 teams will play us? I used to want the nickname because I'm stubborn and Norwegian. But I also have a brain, its not hard to look down the tracks. There is a train coming and if we don't board we will be left behind looking like a bunch of fools thanks to morons like you.

I thought you were a Swede?

The NCAA is nothing more than a bully. Don't be afraid of the bully, punch him in the mouth. He isn't half as tough as you think he is. I can't believe how spineless some people are on this topic. I'm grateful that those of you who feel that way are in the minority overall (not on this forum).

The NCAA sucks, they are a bully, and..... they have us by the balls and then some. Punch them in the mouth and we lost everything. There will be no football program if we attempt to keep the nickname, its not possible to travel a team that size and not draw any fans to watch a crap game. People like you will bring the death of the football program. The hockey program will remain but you can bet it won't be the same. Your logic may have worked in elementary school, but this is the big leagues with something actually at state. You don't get it. I'm not expecting people like you to get it. You're no different than people who think GF Central should still be the Redskins. They have done just fine as the Knights and the school hasn't imploded.

• Upvote 1

What's good for the goose is good for the gander ... perhaps we should petition the NC$$ to put the entire state under sanctions ala Mississippi and South Carolina since NoDak voters may be as complicit as anybody in keeping a "hostile and abusive" moniker strapped around UND's neck.

I agree, I see no reason why, if the whole state votes for this and forces UND to continue to use the nickname, that the sanctions shouldn't be applied across the state. It wasn't UND's decision to keep it, it was the state. Therefore, punish the perps, not just the victims.

The SC couldn't do their job....so its our turn. We need to get the word out that in June people need to vote against the name. UND needs to put up billboards explaining the harm this does to our athletic program. VOTE NO FOR THE FIGHTING SIOUX NAME!! (as painful as it is to say that)

Absolutely agree. It should be an interesting few months, and a big push needs to be made.

I say just ignore it. Drop the name. The law has no teeth. So, why bother following it?

If all else fails, UND MUST try this.

Losing the name will hurt UND and its fans, except for the fake fans who would be willing to accept a new nickname. Besides that, let them hit back. Every time they do they're only digging themselves deeper and deeper into a legal nightmare. There is no question that what they are attempting to do is illegal. They have no right whatsoever, it isn't even debatable.

You really don't know anything about law do you???

First Lesson: Just because something isn't right, doesn't necessarily make it illegal.

The NCAA has many lawyers who are all much smarter than reed soderstrom. SL has little to no chance at winning their lawsuit. At best, they come away with some money in a settlement the NC$$ agrees to to save them the effort (however little it would take) to win in court.

This a matter of censorship. You tell me, is there anything in the NCAA bylaws giving them the right to censor what a team calls itself?

More importantly, is there anything in the US constitution that makes it illegal for a private organization to tell it's voluntary members what it can and can't itself?

OK Chewey, I'll take the bait. April 19 must be the next big date in SL v. NCAA. So what do you believe the federal court is going to do? Injunction against the NCAA? I'm pretty sure SL will be lucky to still have an open case on April 20.

This a matter of censorship. You tell me, is there anything in the NCAA bylaws legally giving them the right to censor what a team calls itself?

First: Is there anything in the NCAA bylaws preventing them from censoring what a team calls itself??

Second: You seem to be confusing NCAA bylaws with actual laws. Not following bylaws is a failure to follow internal policy, however, there is nothing illegal about it.

When losing a debate, resort to making immature off-topic comments. Well played, geaux_sioux, well played.

PS - Have I ever made mention of using floppy disks on this forum?

It was a figure of speech, you're familiar with those right? Besides is one calling the kettle immature while throwing the equivalent of a 'but I want to keep it' temper tantrum directed at an organization that has the ability to put enourmous establishments to their collective knees all the while denying the immenent consequenses to a beloved school to the point of the denial forming a psuedo reality in ones mind ironic? Or is it just sad?

I don't know if the University will do that though. They look like the bad guys if they ignore the law.

Short of dropping the name, would it be possible to keep the name, but basically retire its active use? Would UND receive any relief from sanctions if they no longer use the name in an official capacity during the regular season as well as the playoffs? While the law requires UND to retain the nickname, it does not require how the name must be used. Just wondering how the NCAA would react if UND acted in good faith since the issue is completely beyond their control at this point. This strategy would also allow time for the various legal matters to resolve themselves.

I get it now. It's so obvious. DaveK is Rob Port.

I believe there has been speculation on this before.... Although their view on this matter is similar, I believe DaveK's posts are much more erratic and nonsensical than Rob Port's.

• Upvote 3

Short of dropping the name, would it be possible to keep the name, but basically retire its active use? Would UND receive any relief from sanctions if they no longer use the name in an official capacity during the regular season as well as the playoffs? While the law requires UND to retain the nickname, it does not require how the name must be used. Just wondering how the NCAA would react if UND acted in good faith since the issue is completely beyond their control at this point. This strategy would also allow time for the various legal matters to resolve themselves.

I've also wondered about this. The fact that King Al's law has no teeth leads me to believe UND could officially drop the name and just tell the state to !%$# off, however it would be a poor move politically and would likely result in a sharp decrease in state appropriations (which UND and every other public school need).

I've also wondered about this. The fact that King Al's law has no teeth leads me to believe UND could officially drop the name and just tell the state to !%$# off, however it would be a poor move politically and would likely result in a sharp decrease in state appropriations (which UND and every other public school need).

But keeping the name and logo at all costs would be expensive for UND as well. And if "Prime Minister" Al Carlson overplays his hand on this, it could backfire even with people that support the name. I would not lose any sleep over that.

Al Carlson and his acolytes have basically screwed UND's chances at D1, unless you accept the moronic premise that UND should act like Alcorn State or some community college. Short of dropping the name finally, UND will remain on the H&A list and be sanctioned accordingly. Anybody hanging the tinfoil hat on SL's litigation is going to be sorely disappointed. In my own view, if the state of North Dakota insists on keeping the Sioux moniker around UND's neck, the entire state should suffer under said sanctions.

• Upvote 2

I'm assuming that the best thing that could happen for UND right now would be for the Federal Court to throw out the Spirit Lake lawsuit after the hearing in a couple of weeks. It would be great if they had a chance to win, but the odds for that look very slim. So it would be better to get it over with now rather than waiting 2-5 years. If that lawsuit were thrown out now it might cause some folks to realize that it really is time to move on. The longer this drags on the more damage that will be done to the athletic department at UND.

Dead Man Walking.

Sad day for the University of North Dakota.........................

I feel especially bad for the current student-athletes that participate in Men's Hockey, Football, Women's Hockey, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball. Virtually all of them are high profile athletes that were promised an opportunity that none of them will apparently have the chance to acheive..............

Shame on the Supreme Court for not having the balls to tackle this issue. And shame on Sean Johnson, Reed Soderstrom, Eunice Davidson, and John Chaske among others for being so willing to kill the proud tradition of one of the country's great athletic programs..............