SiouxSports.com Forum

ND Supreme Court Rules against the NDSBoHE

Goon

Didn't you see my post above? Almost all schools lose money on athletics. Less than half make money on hockey, and that is one of the more profitable sports on campus. If they were in it for the money they are doing it wrong. College athletics are a completely different business model than a for profit business like a Jr. hockey team or a sporting goods store. Most schools would be happy if the athletic department was at break even. The colleges benefit by using it as an activity for students, using it as a marketing tool, and using it to attract donations from donors which are often alumni. And not all the donations end up in the athletic department.

Gee somewhat like the government does? You say an activity for students. I wonder how many students at UND have ever gone to a football, hockey, or BB (men's or women's game)? I would say the largest percentage have attended none of the above.

Gee somewhat like the government does? You say an activity for students. I wonder how many students at UND have ever gone to a football, hockey, or BB (men's or women's game)? I would say the largest percentage have attended none of the above.

Most colleges are run by the government, what's your point? And most private schools have a similar business model. My guess is that over half of the students have attended at least 1 game of some kind. Pretty much all college students I have known have attended at least 1 game, even the ones that don't like sports. Colleges also have music programs, and all kinds of activities that most students don't attend. If the school can approach break-even on athletics they are probably better off in that department than the music department or the theater department or several other departments.

I said what I meant and I meant what I said when I said :

"I hate the idea of UND football and hockey teams existing with a nickname other than Sioux attached to them. The very thought of it makes me nauseous. No nickname I could tolerate as an absolute worst case scenario, but a new nickname is a dealbreaker. That is how I feel, and I am very passionate about it. I'm sorry if you have a problem with that, but I refuse to change who I am or what I stand for to please you or anybody else for that matter."

Go ahead and turn your tickets in because someone else will use them.

• Upvote 3

I have a feeling that a lot of tickets will all of a sudden become available if and when a new nickname is slapped on the athletic programs at UND.

I don't think so, fans will still come to the games.

• Upvote 3

I have a feeling that a lot of tickets will all of a sudden become available if and when a new nickname is slapped on the athletic programs at UND.

If that is the case, once the name changes you should rent out the Purpur and dress up a bunch of beer league guys in Fighitng Sioux jerseys. Using your logic, it would easily be a sellout since people are there to cheer for the nickname/logo, not what they are representing.

• Upvote 2

Wrong again, it isn't just the Fighting Siouxand it isn't just the University of North Dakota. It is the combination of both together, and either one without the other just doesn't do it for me.

Sure seems that you only care about one of those two things.

• Upvote 1

Wrong again, it isn't just the Fighting Sioux and it isn't just the University of North Dakota. It is the combination of both together, and either one without the other just doesn't do it for me.

Weren't you the one hoping for an AHL team called the Sioux?? :glare:

Wrong again, it isn't just the Fighting Sioux and it isn't just the University of North Dakota. It is the combination of both together, and either one without the other just doesn't do it for me.

Well its a good thing that you aren't the ultimate decision maker on the issue. It is plain and simple. Ask yourself if the consequesces to keeping the name are worth it. Any educated person with half a brain would see that it is not. Sorry for assuming that you were one of those educated people. My bad. :)

So is there anything to talk about until the vote actually happens?

I believe that the US District Court is supposed to look at the NCAA motion to dismiss the Spirit Lake lawsuit next week. I'm not sure when the results will come back. If it's dismissed it might convince some people that there aren't any more chances to get the NCAA change their position. That could sway some votes in June.

So is there anything to talk about until the vote actually happens?

Well since you insist on being here - chew on this. Any bison fan who votes No on this issue simply to hurt UND is admitting they are afraid of competing with UND on a level playing field. The drivel that spills over and out from bisonswille urging minions to vote no simply to stick it to UND and hurt their athletic programs are showing their true colors - which they already admit is yellow.

Here https://www.google.c...l0&aqi=g4&pbx=1

your all coaches & experts from the same place

Yes, UND does have online classes and degrees. As a matter of fact, the UND online program has been ranked quite high in several different reviews over the past few years. However, you may not be aware that UND has an actual campus location that has been teaching students every year since 1883. That was 6 years before North Dakota became a state. I feel quite certain that the majority of the UND alumni that post on this forum took most, if not all, of their classwork on campus (or in off-campus locations like Frenchy's). That on campus experience helps build the connection between the alumni and the school itself. That is the connection that you don't understand and have compared to a cult.

it is the Residents of GF that really support athletics (especially Hockey)

Yes, they do.

And many, many folks in GF are now of the mindset that continuing to watch high-level college hockey is more important than a fight that can't be won by UND.

Just look at how the vote on the original Carlson's Folly law went. The majority of the GF delegation voted against it. Would they do that if they knew it would cost them their legislative seats?