SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Recruiting leads

UNDsportsFANATIC

• 4 weeks later...

Very sad to hear about Goodman, he was a great young man. Injuries kept him from being a very good player for UND. Gentry looked like he was having fun and loved his movements in the cirlce before each game but on the floor he did not impress me that much. He could definately jump but his shot was too ugly for me. Goodluck to both.

We just had two scholorships open up didn't we.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/utah-basketball-pulls-scholarship-california-player-growth-related-185529935.html

Just kidding, tough deal for the kid but it shows how hard it will be to find true quality this late in the recruiting process with our two free scholorships.

Both will be JUCO players I would assume.

We just had two scholorships open up didn't we.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/utah-basketball-pulls-scholarship-california-player-growth-related-185529935.html

Just kidding, tough deal for the kid but it shows how hard it will be to find true quality this late in the recruiting process with our two free scholorships.

Talk about a low-bid move by Utah.

We (UND fans) know about growth-related issues affecting a player.

We stood by our guy this year.

Name? Rocco Grimaldi.

Hopefully, these are couple good additions to the team.

As noted, Traylor was a good HS player in the cities and apparently went the JC route due to grades (nothing wrong with that - it happens with a lot of kids). He should fit the power forward mold quite well. He graduated the same year as Aaron Anderson. It is interesting to see Anderson listed as 6'2" on some of the lists back then!

Salmonson apparently was a late bloomer at his HS (Colfax in Auburn, CA). Didn't play much until his senior year. I would guess he went to JC to work on his game, mature, etc. His stats were interesting (odd) this last year. In one game, he scored 39 points (16-19 FG, 7-9 FT and 16 boards). In another game, he went 15-15 from the field and scored 30 points. I saw where he scored 18 and 22 in other games. It seems odd that he averaged less than 10 pts. per game. That would mean, in those four games, he scored 37% of his season total and averaged 27+ per game. He averaged less than 7 points in the other 27 games. His team was 18-13 and he played in all 31 games. I don't know if he may have played with some injuries. He shot 71% on the FT line and didn't get into foul trouble averaging less than 2.5 fouls per game.

My comments about Salmonson aren't meant to be negative - just mentioning some odd stats.

Hopefully, they will be two great additions. It would be nice if we could find a little more offense up front but I guess there is no more scholarship $ available. I am still somewhat surprised that a couple of the veterans will apparently be back with their scholarships.

Excellent news! You can't teach height. I'm glad the staff was able to address this major area of concern. Hopefully these guys are able to contribute this season. Jones has had some luck with JUCO transfers in the past: Little, Youmens, Mertens, Clausen..................

Love it. What I think I like the most is Traylor shot 65% from the field and Salmonson shot 55% from the field. Looks like Traylor can be a solid starter at the 4 spot and give us another inside scoring presence. Being the fact he shot 65% I would assume his shots come mostly in the paint. Salmonson can be that solid backup to Brekke with his 6 10 size. Very promising pieces of the puzzle that was missing. This class of now 7 can take us hopefully to the next level.

Someone refresh me on the scholarship situation.

Gone: Mitchell, Gentry, Goodman

Incoming: Traylor, Salmonson

So is there one scholarship still open?

Benton is getting Mitchell's scholarship. 11 of the 13 scholies will be tied up in the junior and senior classes next year. Kind of an odd situation, to say the least.