SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

I know it was brought up earlier but I watched some highlights on Oscar Opara today. Man that kid is a good cornerback. I know he has some grade issues but he is a pretty impressive athlete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ9f2Gg0Yg

I'd have to agree. We could sure use a CB like him. If not him, hopefully there's somebody out there we end up signing. CB is quite possibly the weakest area on the team.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/griz-get-commitment-from-oregon-s-a-player-of-year/article_655b9240-6a78-11e2-99fc-0019bb2963f4.html

The verbals keep coming in for the Montana Grizzlies football team, including one from Oregon’s 6A defensive player of the year, Connor Strahm.

The website Northwest Elite Index broke the news that Strahm, a 6-foot-2, 215-pounder who helped Sheldon High in Eugene, Ore., to the 6A state title, had committed to the Griz Monday evening.

On Tuesday, Strahm, who could play outside linebacker or safety for the Griz, said Montana won out over scholarship offers from Portland State and North Dakota.

Feeling a little more comfortable that Riddle is coming as he changed his twitter handle to @UND_sam. Has to be a decent sign, no?

Yep, that is great news. As time went on & we didn't hear anything more about PSU I was getting more confident that he'd end up here. The Oregon Live site (Portland's newspaper) had 2 articles about his verbal to UND. I figured if there was any news about him & PSU they'd have it there right away. Haven't seen anything since the orignal articles.

I'm sure if there was anything to be worried about with Carr Iverson would tweet him about it since they seem to have built a decent relationship and tweeted eachother about the recruiting process before.

Also, his mother actually retweets everything UND recruiting related (including the tweet sent out by Dexter Albrecht yesterday about the welcoming of the 2013 recruiting class signing day party), as well as follows SFI, a couple coaches, Hammer, Tom Miller, etc.

Chris is not listed as a walk on in this article. Maybe he is a possible signee.

http://www.cornnatio...ntial-treatment

The article here is dated 1/17, and the article I saw that stated he was going to walk on at Nebraska was dated 1/19. Also, his rivals profile lists "High" interest in Nebraska, and "None" in UND. It is a shame as I heard we were on this kid pretty hard.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Chris-Weber-146043;_ylt=AtFHM3.s3b53hNsY_GhZlqRIPZB4

Generally a Preferred Walk on is guaranteed a spot on the team where a walk on will have to go through planned try outs and attempt to earn a spot on the team. A preferred walk on may be someone who was targeted during the recruiting process but was not offered a scholorship for various reasons.

Both are very important to a program and the success it has.

Hello all - I'm new here. May I ask the difference, from the football programs perspective, between walk on and preferred walk on.

Thanks

Tammy (Mother of a senior football player)

Jay Nelson is an example of a walk on. He showed up on campus and asked the coaches for a tryout and eventually became a starter.

Devin Coyle is a freshman safety and was a preferred walk on from Mandan. Preferred walk ons participate in fall camp and often earn a scholarship.

School start walk ons rarely last a full five years and proffered walk ons are much more likely to be retained.

School start guys are either projects with raw potential like Jay or bodies to fill the scout team and work hard and sometimes earn playing time.

A solid walk on program is a staple of a successful program. Und and ndsu have good walk on programs, Nebraska has one of the best.

Generally a Preferred Walk on is guaranteed a spot on the team where a walk on will have to go through planned try outs and attempt to earn a spot on the team. A preferred walk on may be someone who was targeted during the recruiting process but was not offered a scholorship for various reasons.

Both are very important to a program and the success it has.

It should also be pointed out that scholarships can and in a lot of cases eventually are earned by the student-athlete. Neither arrive on campus with a scholarship for athletics though.

Thank you. I appreciate the information. I'm totally new to this whole concept and my son would love (along with every other kid in high school football) to play at the college

level. He's a senior with no scholarship offers, but a few for preferred walk on status. I think it's important to encourage kids to pursue their dreams yada yada yada.. But sometimes

it's equally important to be realistic. I would appreciate it if you would take a look at his hudl link and give me the unbiased opinion of someone who just enjoys college football

and I'm sure would be able to give a general opinion of what he really looks like. My mothers eyes don't work here.

Is anyone willing to do that?

He runs hard, gets alot of yards after intial contact I like that also he seems to have good vision. If he had better speed you might see him get some offers. I can't really give you any good advice having only watched a couple minutes of highlights, but if he has passion for the game anything is possible. Some players who play hard can make a career of being a special teams player.

Thank you. I appreciate the information. I'm totally new to this whole concept and my son would love (along with every other kid in high school football) to play at the college

level. He's a senior with no scholarship offers, but a few for preferred walk on status. I think it's important to encourage kids to pursue their dreams yada yada yada.. But sometimes

it's equally important to be realistic. I would appreciate it if you would take a look at his hudl link and give me the unbiased opinion of someone who just enjoys college football

and I'm sure would be able to give a general opinion of what he really looks like. My mothers eyes don't work here.

I would love to discuss what I think of your son's film; however, I don't know what the rules would stipulate here, but since your son would be considered a potential student athlete or recruit (we don't know if UND is looking at him or not, but would assume so since you made your way here), we might be forbidden from discussing him directly at all with you being a family member. Anyone care to help me out with whether this would be a violation of any kind? I honestly don't know.

I would love to discuss what I think of your son's film; however, I don't know what the rules would stipulate here, but since your son would be considered a potential student athlete or recruit (we don't know if UND is looking at him or not, but would assume so since you made your way here), we might be forbidden from discussing him directly at all with you being a family member. Anyone care to help me out with whether this would be a violation of any kind? I honestly don't know.

God I hope not. I wouldn't think so since we aren't specifying her son to go to a certain school. Anyways the internet is a iffy thing. I mean somebody from Montana State could come on here and totally sabotage us by telling a recruit to come to UND.

There's a night and day difference between his junior year and senior year highlights. I'd never believe he ran a 4.5 40 just by looking at his junior year film but it's believable looking at his senior year film. He shows flashes of pretty good speed and athleticism (most specific example being the play where he hurdles the defender without much of dropoff in speed). Runs pretty upright, especially for only being 5'11". He looks to be very much a late bloomer which is likely why he doesn't have any scholarship offers but you can see why a coaching staff would offer a PWO spot.

If he really loves the game then there's absolutely no reason not to give it a shot so long as it is not a major financial burden on your family. If he sticks and ends up earning some scholarship money down the road, great. If he ends up not being good enough, he's still earning an education which will better him for the rest of his life. I very much enjoyed my time at UND but I'll always regret not going for a tryout when I got to campus. If your family can afford to pay his way or can take on the debt of student loans, then there's nothing to lose and I believe 100% that he should give it a shot.